Pet Peeves

Forum games such as "corrupt a wish" and "rate the above poster" can be played in this forum.
This is also the area for casual chat topics.
Chao Points and post counting are disabled in this forum.
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by Lamby »

o

nah i can't take that seriously, sorry <3
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

Oh yeah, here's another one of mine:

When people use incorrect plurals, like saying "Chaos" for Chao and "Pokemons" for Pokemon.
Enzo03 wrote:People who can't seem to use the right versions of "Their," "There," and "They're," as well as "Your" and "You're." It's really ******* simple.
People who mix up "brakes" and "breaks." This too is really ******* simple.
^
And also these. Especially that first one, since I see it all the time...
In fact, I once saw someone in the Youtube comments section use the word "your" correctly, but then some other guy came and "corrected" them by saying they were supposed to use "you're". And the sad part is, the first guy was like "oh right, oops" even though he was already right in the first place.

EDIT: Just remembered another one!

When people misspell usernames. I mean, come on! If you're replying to someone in the thread, their username is RIGHT THERE, already spelled out for you! I guess I can understand if a username is particularly long and complicated, so you misread it, but still, it's not that hard to check your spelling when the name is already written out for you.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

^that reminded me of 2 things

people used to misread my username is lord spiritbomb for whatever GOT dang reason and it just ticked me off

my biggest pet peeve of all time is when i vc for someone for like the first time and they pronounce uni as ooh-nee when its you-nee

unicorns arent pronounced oonicorns are they??????????????
help me
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

@Citrus: In my defense, checking the spelling of someone's username requires that I find it on the page and then have my screen reader read it letter-by-letter. This usually isn't too hard if the user in question has a post in the thread review section of the compose reply page, but this is more time consuming than someone use to using a mouse to copy and paste might realize. Also, my screenreader often mispronounces non-English words or proper nouns, which can lead to to incorrect spellings due to phonetic system mismatch. I know Chao is pronounced chow, but I suspect I'd slip up if I ever met a Chao fan face-to-face since I have no way of telling my screenreader that it isn't pronounced KO.

Still, my apologies to anyone whose username I unintentionally butcher.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

CitrusCat wrote: In fact, I once saw someone in the Youtube comments section use the word "your" correctly, but then some other guy came and "corrected" them by saying they were supposed to use "you're". And the sad part is, the first guy was like "oh right, oops" even though he was already right in the first place.
That's been a joke for a very long time. Since it's such a common mistake, people have just started to say it as a joke. That was most definitely a joke response. Although, him changing it wasn't.

Like saying "You're waifu is ****"
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

@Jeffery: Don't worry, that's understandable. To be honest, though, I actually can't remember you butchering anyone's name... Maybe it's happened before, but if that's the case I can't recall it. It was actually someone else that caused me to remember that pet peeve of mine.

@Retro: Ah, really? That was actually my first time seeing it, so it didn't really occur to me that it was just a joke. Whoops.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
chocohugs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a minute of thought is worth a lifetime of effort

Post by chocohugs »

Dr. Roivas wrote: -on that note ppl who call other ppl ****s and mean it (especially because nine times out of ten they tend to be alt-right white supremacist types so)
Lamby wrote: [*]stupid looking middle school moustaches on adult boys
[*]bad teeth and greasy hair like seriously cut out sulfates, you look like some bedhead hermit
[*]dry skin, t-shirts that say tl;dr "i don't have social skills so i think this is ok to wear this witty phrase over age 12"
[*]liquid eyeliner not working right
Last edited by Nano on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please censor the word
tumbl - twittr | avatar by tsui
(15:29:10) Jack_Augustine has never been hugged by a girl before
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

Lamby wrote:bad teeth and greasy hair like seriously cut out sulfates, you look like some bedhead hermit
I actually struggle with keeping up with hygiene because of things such as bipolar depression and executive dysfunction, though I don't go in public without cleaning up

but then again I pretty much am a bedhead hermit
Pumpkinium wrote:people used to misread my username is lord spiritbomb for whatever GOT dang reason and it just ticked me off
I"VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE AND THAT"S GREAT
Pumpkinium wrote:my biggest pet peeve of all time is when i vc for someone for like the first time and they pronounce uni as ooh-nee when its you-nee

unicorns arent pronounced oonicorns are they??????????????
ok I'm guilty of this as well as Drooj and Tryert I'm so sorry
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I must admit, no matter how many times my screenreader reads it, and even going through it letter-by-letter, I'm not sure what the pronunciation quirk with Uni being complained about is.

sure, ooh-nee and you-nee sound different when read by my screen reader(and neither sound like Uni), but the difference is as subtle as the difference between to, too, and two or there, their, and they're and I'm having trouble imagining anyone being able to tell the difference without direct comparison.

And now I'm reminded of that dialect quiz from a while ago and all the little subtle differences in pronunciations it brought up that I never realized before.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

^basically, its supposed to sound like the uni in unicorn.
help me
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

This is inspired by my future roommate.

People who seem to absolutely define themselves by the fact that they're a college student. It has always annoyed me, and now that a lot of people around me are that age, it's absolutely grating, Congratulations, you, me and literally 20 million other people in the US alone are college students living that #collegelife.

This is especially true for people who do this but are community college students. Don't get me wrong, community college is a great option for a lot of people and a lot of people I know are going to/have gone to community colleges, but it's in no way comparable to someone attending (and living at) a university.