Dub and Sub Comparison Club

For all discussion about your usergroups or clubs. If you want to join a usergroup, or find members, this is the place to go to!
Chao Points and post counting are disabled in this forum.
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Dub and Sub Comparison Club

Post by Crazo3077 »

A few folks suggested I do something more involved with this passion, so this can be a place to casually discuss the differences between dubbed versions of anime or movies and subtitles of their original language versions. This can range from just changes made to dialog to choices in audio/video editing.

What to do Here
  • Share screenshots or descriptions that directly compare a scene in the two language versions of the piece of media
  • Retell personal stories of experience or confusion that happened due to these differences
  • Discuss any possibly behind-the-scenes information we may find about why changes were made
Recommended Resources
An easy option is if you have DVDs of a dubbed version of a series or movie already. Often the subtitles and the dub do not match, as the subtitles were likely the original script the dubbing staff was provided with. While this applies to many DVDs, if you know there were many visual or audio edits made to the localized version, then the subtitles may be designed to match the dub, as it wouldn't sync with the source material.

If you prefer to stream content, Funimation hosts most of their dubs, and can be ad-free for like 6 bucks a month. Anything dubbed on Funimation's site will also be on Crunchyroll, which creates an easy way to directly compare the two versions. I like to watch both versions at the same time, but it can be a bit overwhelming. This is also a nice way to invite everyone else to compare the same content.

Stories from memory or uploads from YouTube are also fair resources.

---

My own personal attachment to this activity comes from the rather extreme changes that anime used to regularly receive during localization to English, especially when compared to localization to Spanish, which I'm told tend to be more genuine. I especially love looking at older anime for this, since series like Astro Boy set the stage for what would be a bumpy history with dubbing in the United States market.

The bulk of my experience is with Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02. I've been too lazy to cover Digimon Tamers, but I do have the resources for it. For Digimon, I buy the English market home media versions, and then buy cheap subtitle versions from overseas. The only exception to this is that I own legitimate copies of the first four movies, mainly for high quality footage. Digimon, though, is more of a visual experience for me, because while the dialog received near-constant change, the changes to the visual are more infrequent and far more interesting.

Except with Digimon, rarely do I try to watch both versions at the same time. Most of the time I either watch a whole episode in one language, and then in the other, or I watch them in parts. Since anime tends to be cut into two halves,that can be an easy enough option for a casual viewing.

I also like to see the English subtitles on a foreign language version of an English language property. Those can generally be fun, but are harder to find. You tend to have to just trust stories from bilingual individuals.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui