On the comments pertaining to the Chao Island Staff.

Things about the forum and updates will be here.
Warning! This topic is 12 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Topgun
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

On the comments pertaining to the Chao Island Staff.

Post by Topgun »

Hello,

Over the course of my promotion from a member to a moderator, I've seen an attitude developed toward the staff that indicates they have done a bad job moderating the site. There have been numerous public comments displaying such an attitude and while we understand you do not like the job that the staff may appear to be doing, you cannot make a valid analysis based on your limited access to materials that indicate whether a moderator is doing their job right or wrong. The only instance in which it is appropriate to claim that a moderator is doing a bad job is when they have abused their privileges. It is a common misconception that moderators are obligated to work, and while I used to believe this myself, there is nothing that binds them to moderator work, it is simply their choice to work on the site. They are members with privileges, not members that have to work for nothing in return. They choose to do so - and as such it is outlandish to claim that they are bound to moderator work.

In short, please do not complain about the current staff members, as they are likely doing more work than you perceive them to. If you have a complaint about a staff member please private message an administrator. It is their duty as a staff that strives to be the best possible to correct problems and unsatisfactory moderation. Please remember that Chao Island is not a democracy, or a republic or any type of system that allows the community to decide who is in power. The staff appreciates your feedback, but simply throwing insult after insult at the Chao Island staff does not get anyone anywhere, and is (obviously) frowned upon. If the staff decides they need more moderators then they will promote more members as they see fit. It is not your job to tell them that they need to add more moderators. Once again, if you have a complaint, send a private message to an administrator. If this topic is overlooked and there are members still breaking the rules, then they will get a verbal warning and if they do not choose to change their ways it will be succeeded by a real warning, then another, and so on until they are banned.

Thank you.
University of Mississippi B.S.M.E 2018
Marnex
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Re: On the comments pertaining to the Chao Island Staff.

Post by Marnex »

The problem here is that users get the illusion moderators are inactive because they don't post all that much. I mainly go on hidden status, but I'm here basically all day long and I do see moderator activity. Yes, some of them don't stay logged in for a great amount of time, but hey, they have stuff to do and their active either way.

Also, I think mainly the reason I believe so many people accuse Fusion of being inactive is because he's hidden eighty percent of the time. I'm sure that if you PM him with any problems or report a topic, he'll act rather quickly. He's like the ****ing Batman; he lurkes in the shadows, but he's always there.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Marnex wrote:He's like the ****ing Batman; he lurkes in the shadows, but he's always there.
And you can't **** with Batman.

Incidentally I pretty much summed this up in the topic, but of course only Fusion listened to me in that topic, Crazo just said that I was somewhat wrong and we do need more moderators.

I think the CI Staff are doing a good job and are getting everything done, everyone can understand why they would want their status hidden, as long as the moderators are still doing their job we don't need anymore really. Beside Fusion is on pretty much all the time so you know that whatever happens **** is getting done.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

Marnex wrote:He's like the ****ing Batman; he lurkes in the shadows, but he's always there.
Haha, this was funny.
BriefCasey795
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: Recovering Cancer Patient

Post by BriefCasey795 »

Personaly... I 60% agree with the members, 40%agree with the mods the reasons? well some people do have a point about getting new staff members, but the mods disagree. i mean, mods like Chaoisland are inactive. not mod begging or pertaning to add more mods but, would a replacement mod for a while be okay? if i get "i dissagree" comments from other members or the staff, i understand. but yeah the mods can add more mods if they like. just saying how much i agree more.

IDK Why, but i'm somehow thinking what the mods are saying about adding staff members sounds like whining for their own ways. Not trying to insult the mods. just saying a strange feeling. XD
Friend Codes - Youtube - Steam -
Anything you see on here before 2016-17 does not reflect who I am today.
Mephilesfan1
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: memento mori

Post by Mephilesfan1 »

Honestly, I find the mods doing a great job, at least I think they do. Some may njot, but that's their opinion. Even though they don't post a lot, that dosn't mean their ungreat mods. When I was a mod on a few sites, I didn't post all that much, yet I was stil seen as a great mod. So don't judge mods just because they don't post or anything. They do their jobs in the chatboxes and tell people stuff and give them warnings when they break the rules.
Renaethecat
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Renaethecat »

Oh wow. I'm fairly impressed, Topgun. :herosurprise: I'm not quite used to you being like this; normally I would have expected this out of someone like Fusion, Blade, or Drouge (when he was a moderator). I'm not saying that I don't like it (In fact, I'm proud of you!), but I just haven't seen anything like this out of you before! It's quite amazing how one of your friends can go from just a regular user to a moderator, and then they're acting like a very experienced one, at that!

I assure you, I will not let what others have been saying in any way influence my opinion on this, as I have before. They may not have been doing it intentionally, yet I felt terrible after what I said in the Chatbox months before. :x I truly don't think that the staff is lazy at all!

It's good that you cleared this up. Once more, I'm proud of you!
Marnex wrote: He's like the ****ing Batman; he lurkes in the shadows, but he's always there.
Heheh. Always with the Fusion jokes. So now Fusion is a robot, a ninja, apparently a wild Pokemon, and now he's Batman as well?
Blur
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Up My Sleeve

Post by Blur »

I think we have TOO many moderators. ONE of them Is never online. *cough Chao Island cough* And the rest are fine. The main problem is, we have too many spammers, and stuff.
GOLF WANG.
Silence
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Silence »

So far as I've been here, everything seems to be running smoothly. I have found nothing in need of reporting or anything that made it look like there was a lack of moderator presence. I'm not sure why people are complaining. I suspect people are simply jealous of the moderators and are complaining to make themselves seem more self-worthy.
Mel Mel
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a

Post by Mel Mel »

^ No. Why would people be jealous of the Moderators?

The one thing that doesn't run so smoothly is Chat. I see tons of spam/small Flame Wars in there. I go in there a lot. So far, the actual Forum part is going pretty well. Except the complainers on the Staff. I was complaining, but now, I see they are doing great! Keep it up CI Staff!
Red Chao wrote:Personaly... I 60% agree with the members, 40%agree with the mods the reasons? well some people do have a point about getting new staff members, but the mods disagree. i mean, mods like Chaoisland are inactive. not mod begging or pertaning to add more mods but, would a replacement mod for a while be okay? if i get "i dissagree" comments from other members or the staff, i understand. but yeah the mods can add more mods if they like. just saying how much i agree more.

IDK Why, but i'm somehow thinking what the mods are saying about adding staff members sounds like whining for their own ways. Not trying to insult the mods. just saying a strange feeling. XD
Sounds like SOMEONE wants to be a Mod here. *coughcoughRedChaocoughcough*
The Blur98 wrote:I think we have TOO many moderators. ONE of them Is never online. *cough Chao Island cough* And the rest are fine. The main problem is, we have too many spammers, and stuff.
No we don't. ChaoIsland was on yesterday! She came into Chat for a couple minutes. *coughcoughYoulosecoughcough*
Nah, we don't have too many spammers.
(12:15:40) Tobi: no, mel only owns young children
(12:15:46) Tobi: in his basement
(12:15:47) Tobi: i mean what

(17:44:45) Dr._Roivas: eevee.......just like......
(17:44:48) Dr._Roivas: what even are you??????
Drouge
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Drouge »

There's a good reason CI doesn't come on CI, it's the same reason I won't be coming on during the summer.
Silence
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Silence »

Mel Mel wrote:^ No. Why would people be jealous of the Moderators?
Not jealous of their job, jealous of their power. They see them as better than them and feel that by downing them, they are increasing their worth.
Mephilesfan1
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: memento mori

Post by Mephilesfan1 »

^
I find that reason to hate moderators is a stupid reason. But, I have to agree with the members who are saying we hardly have any spammers. I mean, we do have spammers every now and then, but most of then I see in the chat. Most spammers that we have, aren't outside of the chat at all, really. They mainly spam the chat. nd when they DO spam the chat, a mod takes care of it right away. Or usually, they WILL take care of it soon. It won't persist on for days or weeks.

Code: Select all

Don't quote the above post ~JmTsHaW~
Nirvana
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Booty butt cheeks! booty booty butt cheeks!

Post by Nirvana »

For the short time I've been here, I haven't seen any bad moding; the staff is doing a sufficent job in my opinion. This place is pretty tranquil, so there should no reason to complain.
ChaoIsland
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by ChaoIsland »

I'm the big talk of this topic. :cool:
But heyyyyyy I'm active see?

Sorry I haven't came on much, I've been stressing over my math homework. :L And school came out so yeeeaaah. But I'm gonna be more active, because CP came back and ADVENT CALENDAR MONTH YEAAAAH.
Image Always clicking back. Image Please click Miles so that he gets to be first in the top 10!
Blur
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Up My Sleeve

Post by Blur »

^lol Fail on my part.
GOLF WANG.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

Topgun wrote:Hello,

Over the course of my promotion from a member to a moderator, I've seen an attitude developed toward the staff that indicates they have done a bad job moderating the site. There have been numerous public comments displaying such an attitude and while we understand you do not like the job that the staff may appear to be doing, you cannot make a valid analysis based on your limited access to materials that indicate whether a moderator is doing their job right or wrong. The only instance in which it is appropriate to claim that a moderator is doing a bad job is when they have abused their privileges. It is a common misconception that moderators are obligated to work, and while I used to believe this myself, there is nothing that binds them to moderator work, it is simply their choice to work on the site. They are members with privileges, not members that have to work for nothing in return. They choose to do so - and as such it is outlandish to claim that they are bound to moderator work.

In short, please do not complain about the current staff members, as they are likely doing more work than you perceive them to. If you have a complaint about a staff member please private message an administrator. It is their duty as a staff that strives to be the best possible to correct problems and unsatisfactory moderation. Please remember that Chao Island is not a democracy, or a republic or any type of system that allows the community to decide who is in power. The staff appreciates your feedback, but simply throwing insult after insult at the Chao Island staff does not get anyone anywhere, and is (obviously) frowned upon. If the staff decides they need more moderators then they will promote more members as they see fit. It is not your job to tell them that they need to add more moderators. Once again, if you have a complaint, send a private message to an administrator. If this topic is overlooked and there are members still breaking the rules, then they will get a verbal warning and if they do not choose to change their ways it will be succeeded by a real warning, then another, and so on until they are banned.

Thank you.
Well said.
GOLEM
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by GOLEM »

man can you imagine if a forum punished people for off topic discussion. that would be just awful; it would be like if conversation wasn't allowed! or like if rules were enforced just because they were there instead of because they actually needed to be enforced because people were being hurt.
Ninja
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: The Syna

Post by Ninja »

I sometimes find some Mods to be too young sometimes. ( Not saying anybody is young ) But I kind of think some people who have proper use of grammar and intelligence should moderate the site.
I have main character tendencies.
Keep ya head up; things look bad a lot, but you're worth it, I assure you.
Renaethecat
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Renaethecat »

NinjaChao224 wrote:I sometimes find some Mods to be too young sometimes.
Why? Age doesn't matter in a moderator specifically. As long as they are old enough to differentiate between right and wrong, and follow the rules well enough, they have the potential to be a moderator. :[
NinjaChao224 wrote:...I kind of think some people who have proper use of grammar and intelligence should moderate the site.
That's silly! It's not a requirement for a moderator to have perfect spelling and grammar; they are allowed to type as they please, just like the rest of the people on the Internet. :o
GOLEM
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by GOLEM »

the biggest ability a moderator needs is the ability to tell when a rule should be enforced and when enforcing a rule causes more harm than good. honestly, if a moderator has that and is fair, they can be five for all golem cares.
Ninja
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by Ninja »

I am going by what a Mod told me Renae. Well if they are typing for example this:

'' Guyz w3 n33d t0 st4y 0n top1z 0r i weel l0ck it. '' I feel a lot better if they don't type like this.
RubyRush
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by RubyRush »

GOLEM wrote:the biggest ability a moderator needs is the ability to tell when a rule should be enforced and when enforcing a rule causes more harm than good. honestly, if a moderator has that and is fair, they can be five for all golem cares.
yeah. i totally agree with this. we just resolved a couple problems involving this at another forum, actually!!
Ninja
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by Ninja »

What I mean is they have to be pretty good with grammar or you won't understand them. Do you see? Would you want a six year old being a mod?
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

NinjaChao224 wrote:I sometimes find some Mods to be too young sometimes. ( Not saying anybody is young ) But I kind of think some people who have proper use of grammar and intelligence should moderate the site.
NinjaChao224 wrote:'' Guyz w3 n33d t0 st4y 0n top1z 0r i weel l0ck it. '' I feel a lot better if they don't type like this.
I don't know of any moderator here that types like that. Who are you talking about?