I don't get it.

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 11 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Omelet
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

I don't get it.

Post by Omelet »

So, at my school, if you're "popular" or "well known", and play Pokemon (usually Red, Blue, Yellow, the older versions), it's considered a cool thing. But, if you're unpopular, a nerd, someone who has friends but not too many, that creepy guy that sits in the corner by himself and mumbles, etc., and you play pokemon, they're like "oh lol look at the nerd playing pokemon! grow up! rofl".

...I don't get it. Anyone else see this at their school? :/
Mhhhmmm... I am tasty enough for you, anon-kun? *sizzle*
Zacmac74
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Re: I don't get it.

Post by Zacmac74 »

^
Yeah, at my school, If you play it at all, no one is friends with you. So only my already-considered-friends know I play it. It sucks so much. Everyone thinks the "E" rating means 3 and under.
:/
I was super young when I used this forum and probably said weird or odd stuff. Dont hold me to it!
Chao Ball
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Chao Ball »

At my school playing pokemon is utterly blasphemous

screw the police!!!!! Or in this case, the peer pressure
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Omelet wrote:So, at my school, if you're "popular" or "well known", and play Pokemon (usually Red, Blue, Yellow, the older versions), it's considered a cool thing.
I still don't believe the school caste system actually exists. I think it's a myth generated by the media. No one at my school is concerned with labels like "popular" or "nerd" or such. In fact, the candidates for student elections like Beauties and Beaus etc, largely consist of people no one has ever heard of. And yes, we checked.

Few people at my school seem to know what Pokemon is anyway.

None of them know I play the games (I guess the person the goes around randomly asking everyone if they play pokemon and then annoucing their names over the intercom missed me) and I don't personally know anyone else that does.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

Yeah, I agree with Ivogoji. When you finish school you won't see the other kids but the ones you follow, and even that's no guarantee you'll always be friends. I say focus on doing what you like.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Blazing Groudon
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: ps no one never found clock man it was probably a hoax

Post by Blazing Groudon »

Don't say you like it.

I mean don't go out of your way to look like you don't like it, but just don't bring it up. Handheld games become unpopular after like 5th grade. I still think Pokemon is good as a series, but as far as my social life is concerned I only play Call of Duty and Skyrim.
Zacmac74
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Zacmac74 »

^
So much this.
I was super young when I used this forum and probably said weird or odd stuff. Dont hold me to it!
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

I never had this problem. Mainly because none of my friends wanted to do anything with me because I was the friend people are friends with when none of their other friends are around. It didn't matter that I didn't play any of the games they liked (if they even played games; there were some people I knew who did other stuff than play games). I got bullied by other people for no real reason anyway so it didn't matter if I liked something they thought was dumb. xD I stopped caring in high school.

So I got to like whatever I wanted and didn't have to not acknowledge my love for stuff like that. I STILL have pokemon stuffed animals on my bed and a little Charmander plush key-chain on my purse. Though I rarely take my purse anywhere since I hate lugging it around. Other girls are weird I have no idea why they like doing things like that.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Lamby »

You shouldn't have to omit things about yourself to preserve the illusion of social standing. If someone's opinion is going to differ dramatically based on liking/disliking something as trivial as a video-game series, then they seem shallow. You're better off without their "approval." A decent kid might not share your interests perfectly, but they won't treat you like a child for them either. If you're going to call someone worthwhile you deserve a little maturity from them.
Television romance "
Goron
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: love yall miss yall bunch of chao nerds!!! sa2 was fate

Post by Goron »

At my school none of us play pokemon. (Or at least we think)
it was nice to find my own little place on the internet
Omelet
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Omelet »

No, I was asking what you guys thought about what I said, not about how I shouldn't be announcing how I play pokemon, which I don't. XD

Why do you guys think it's cool to play pokemon when you;re cool but not to if you;re not?
Mhhhmmm... I am tasty enough for you, anon-kun? *sizzle*
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Lamby »

Maybe nostalgia is actually what the kids think is acceptable at your school. Reliving your childhood occasionally must seem different from carrying an interest from childhood into adulthood. Which is poor thinking on their part because you still maintain the interest either way. Not to mention, if anything, the games are only becoming more sophisticated, so I'm not sure if it's accurate to say it holds much of an interest to young children. When my brothers were small they wouldn't play more than ten minutes.
Television romance "
sonicboom435
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by sonicboom435 »

At my school if you play Pokemon you're considered a nerd no matter what...
No offense guys, but I get it. Pokemon is just childish... :darkblink:
Yukki wrote:I think SB 435 is awesome and his friendliness shoots me down every time with pure epicness.
May he always be my Favorite CI user :3
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

^*joins forum of a site based around raising small cute creatures. In a game about talking anthropomorphic animals*

*calls pokemon childish*

Ha ha, what. Pot calling the kettle black?
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
sonicboom435
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by sonicboom435 »

I'm sorry, okay let me rephrase that...Pokemon is intended for smaller children.
I'm sorry I offended you.

Chao can be considered for smaller children too, I will admit that!
Yukki wrote:I think SB 435 is awesome and his friendliness shoots me down every time with pure epicness.
May he always be my Favorite CI user :3
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

I'm not ashamed to say I like things like pokemon even though I'm 21. I bought a fantasy Petz game a month ago because I wanted to play a stupid cutesy kids game.

Also. Just cuz.

Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

The main Pokemon games are basically "My First RPG", but they certainly are not for children with short attention spans. Of course, it has an appeal that crosses generations.

Also, the "High School Caste System" varies significantly from school to school, and some schools might not even have one. Should also be noted that, in general, high school is the only point in life where your social standing is determined by adherence, or lack thereof, to current fads in entertainment.

At my high school, I was the unofficial leader of the outcasts(and quite proud of it), the smallest of the school's four main castes(The others being "Mainstream", "Mentally Handicapped", and "Children"(it was a combined K-12 school). We were set apart by such interests as Pokemon, Mortal Kombat, Sonic the Hedgehog, foreign cultures, among others.

In addition to myself, our number included:
Carla aka Mewtwo aka Sonic: Lover of Big Cats, Pokemon fanatic, fiercely protective of her friends.
Bryan aka Pikachu aka Scorpion: Totally blind Mario and Mortal Kombat fanatic who shared my aspirations of being a game developer.
Cassie aka Drowzee: The other totally blind member of our group. Obsessed over the Italian language and culture.
Kevin(no codename): The youngest member of our group, and arguably the smartest. Aspiring metal musician and the school's Chess Champion.
Tiffany aka Tails: Not technically an outcast in the traditional sense, as she was actually the most popular girl in the whole school, completely transcending the caste system. She was the school's resident Sinophile.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

It must feel really nice to have a social life. Wish I had one.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
baconjake
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by baconjake »

yah i play pokemon at my house or when my friends nit at school r here cause they dont care because they dont care if u know
i have bever told anyone about my pokeman secret
on the bottom of my avatar it sais BEFORE IT WAS COOL FOOLZ
Timnoldzim
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Timnoldzim »

I don't think it's so much that "Pokémon is cool when you're cool, but uncool when you aren't"; it's more like "Pokémon is uncool, but if you're cool anyway, nobody cares."

And either way, I think it sort of depends on the school and the people. My school is massive, so there's a lot of "cool" kids and "uncool" kids, and a lot of the "cool" kids I know absolutely love Pokémon and aren't ashamed of it at all.
Here
Comes
The Thnikkaman!