Pokemon EV training guide

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mikasa
Ascended Chaos Chao
Ascended Chaos Chao
Motto: Trash

Pokemon EV training guide

Post by Mikasa »

As many of you are aware, Pokemon XY introduces EV training more to their audience than ever before. As with such, I thought I'd whip up a quick guide for people who are just getting into it, :^)

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆ I'm still working on this ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

FAQ

1. What is EV?

EV training, or Effort Values, are points you get when you battle a Pokemon, along with EXP. For example, if you battle a Geodude, you'll gain EXP and 1 EV in defense. EV help a Pokemon move more quickly, or make their attacks stronger than ever, but, it all depends on what the EV is going towards.

2. What do EVs do to a stat?

For ever 4 EV you get, your Pokemon's base stat goes up by +1, for example, if you were to fight four Geodudes, you would gain 4 EV's in defense, thus, having your Pokemon's Defense base stat go up by +1.

But, this is for when your Pokemon is at lv.100, so, you won't see the effect till you reach lv.100

3. How much EVs can you get in total?

There are two limits in this,

Your Pokemon can have a max total of 510 ( As of Pokemon XY) and a single stat can only get up to 252 EV (As of Pokemon XY), which equals out to roughly 62-63 base stat to your certain stat, so for example, if you were to battle 252 Geodudes, your Aron will have 252 EV's in Defense, roughly getting an extra +62-63 in Defense once it reaches Lv.100 :^)

4. When should I begin to EV train my Pokemon??

The best and most recommended time to begin EV training your Pokemon is when you catch it or when it hatches from an egg. You would want to raise it right when you catch or hatch it is because then its slate is fresh and clean and you have your 510 EV to freely do what you want with them, instead of having them scattered on all different stats.

5. How do I know what stat is best for my Pokemon?

Well, that is easy! Take a look at its Base stats and check which are highest for that Pokemon, and also contribute its nature into the equation, for example, if you wanted to EV train a Talonflame, and its nature was Adamant, this would help increase its attack base stat by 10%. So, you would be getting an additional 10% in attack.

6. Natures??? What is that??

Ahh, natures, the fun old game of them. Natures also affect your Pokemons stats when it begins to level up, as mentioned above, natures either give 10% more to one stat and also give - 10% to another stat, for example, Admanant nature gives + 10% to attack while giving - 10% to Sp. Attack.

For a complete guide of Natures, click here.

7. Alright, but, this seems like it'll take forever, is there anything that can help speed this up??

Of course! Here is probably the most common way to help give you + 100 EVs right off the bat.

Image HP UP + 10 EV HP
Image Protein + 10 EV Attack
Image Iron + 10 EV Defense
Image Calcium + 10 EV Special Attack
Image Zinc + 10 EV special Defense
Image Carbos + 10 EV Speed

but, your pokemon can only have 10 of one of these, so, you could only give your Pokemon 10 HP ups.

You can also get Pokerus, which gives you x2 EV's when you battle a Pokemon, for example, if your Pokemon where to have Pokerus, and you were to battle a Geodude, you would get 2 EV's instead of one.

There are also Power items, click on the items name to find out more about them :^)

Macho Brace

Power weight

Power Bracer

Power Belt

Power Lens

Power Band

Power Anklet

8. Okay, okay, I'm ready for this, but, where do I begin??

Well, you could always go to the route of doing Super Training in Pokemon XY on the bottom screen, there are 3 levels in Super Training,

Lv. 1 - gives you 4 EV's for every game you complete

Lv. 2 Gives you 8 EV's for every game you complete

Lv. 3 Gives you 12 EV's for every game you complete

Another faster and easier way is doing horde battles. you can check those out by clicking here
- Signature removed due to expired images.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Re: Pokemon EV training guide

Post by Sable »

it's worth mentioning that IV breeding is pretty useful as well but it takes much longer to get into and learn the ins and outs of than EVs
Mikasa
Ascended Chaos Chao
Ascended Chaos Chao
Motto: Trash

Post by Mikasa »

I know, I stated above that I'm still working on this, still have a lot left to add. :>
- Signature removed due to expired images.
kantu
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: I'm a fire dog. You can't get any cooler than that.

Post by kantu »

Hi, I EV train quite often myself and I think this guide is great, only a couple things you missed, like hotspots, hoard battles, exp shares, and how the day care and rare candies don't increase EV's. I know this is new, and I'm not insulting or criticizing you, just givin' you some suggestions and ideas.
I got a Wii U! Send me a friend request! NN ID: KantuK
I'm gone for a while, and would love to come back soon, maybe around Christmas?
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

I hate to have to link to smogon, but you should learn from this.

I myself always keep a flying, sweet scent, pokerus and multi-hit attack poke with me. Leaves 2 more spots minimally, enough for the poke you want to EV train. If you just need like 6 more points in your last stat, you're better off using super training instead.

Also, I want to point out that EV points are wonderful things that aren't like natures like you're stating. Natures increase one stat with 10%, sacrificing 10% of another stat, so naturally, you'd usually take down attack or special attack, depending on what you're not using. Natures can also be neutral. EV points, however, are stat increases by points, not percentage. For your nature, you make the most use of it by putting it in it's highest stat (unless you're not intending to use that stat at all, for example, giving a pure support poke a special attack boosting nature would be useless), since it boosts with percentage of that stat, but EV points can be made use of in any stat since it boosts by points. That's the wonderful thing about EV points!

A possible thing to add to your guide, since it's a W.I.P., talk about the berries that decrease your EV points in case you made a mistake, and the reset bag of course. Also about how you can obtain those berries (attractions, cross-breeding (sped up by a certain mulch)).
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.