Legends are broken

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: There's this thing called logic, might want to use it.

Legends are broken

Post by Pols Voice »

God damnit I'm tired of people challenging me and they ALWAYS have a god damned legend team and ALWAYS use it against me, I'm getting real tired of this bullcrap!
"We have no beginning, we have no end, we are infinite." ~ Sovereign
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: Legends are broken

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I sense hasty generalization coupled with possible bitterness over not being very good at metagaming.

Granted, most unofficial tier lists have a sizable intersection between ubers and Legendaries, but some Legendaries have difficulty even maintaining a position in Overused/Standard. Then there is the fact that people who run all Legendary teams in casual player-versus-player matches would be thoroughly beaten by a competent competitive battler using no legendaries(even the sucky ones) but would be ignorant enough to accuse their better of cheating.

If anything, I would say its less that Legendaries are broken and more that general game balance and PvP match making is broken. Not that broken game balance is a crippling flaw for a game with 720+ playable characters.
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Pols Voice »

The hell is the meta game .-.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

The meta game is simply what you were talking about. Player vs Player using personalized teams that usually have some form of strategy and/or IV/EV training.
Meta game is the term for gameplay after the main story is beaten. Meta game usually includes extra story/adventures with higher levels and difficulty than normal-and with Pokemon it includes the Wi-Fi PvP, Shiny hunting, and making the 'perfect Pokemon'.
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

In a more broad sense, Metagame is the world of the game, as it does not apply in the in-game world.
That is, it is how people play, and how people play in response to others playing the game. Uber teams in Pokemon exist because they are stronger, as deemed fit by the Pokemon community. Picking a team entirely to counter a very popular, all around good team is another example of metagame.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Nooottttt really.
Or, at least in all cases. If you don't want to deal with the broken pokemon, try OU battling.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Pols Voice »

Honestly I just wanna battle to have fun, just catch Pokémon as is, train them, and battle, that's how I play cause honestly, why do you wanna train a Pokémon to be the peak of perfection, where's the fun in no challenge? This also probably explains my need to train a new team to beat the elite four after beating them... And not getting Pokémon to level 100.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Then, not to be rude, why are you complaining about the balance of pokemon?
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Pols Voice »

What do you mean?
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

You are commenting on the balance of pokemon, when you are not playing competitively. I mean, if you don't play competitively then why would balance really affect you?
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Pols Voice »

Because it would make everything on fair terms. So then it would come down to the Pokémon you use and the moves you give it.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Yeah, there's a mode for that. It's called smogon's OU competitive system. You don't have to deal with stupid gimmicky ****.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

You could also use stupidly powerful non legendaries.

Blaziken, Garchomp, Alakazam, Blissey!
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Pols Voice »

Bluesy isn't op when it gets one shot by a physical move :/
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

^Considering that Blissey is the best wall in the game with the possible exception of Defense Deoxys, either that was a quite crappy Blissey or a very specific counter.

Anyways, my understanding is that a decently trained OU team actually has the advantage over a team of poorly trained Ubers/non-Uber Legendaries. Also, if you are battling in serious competition having Perfectly trained mons doesn't give you an unfair advantage because all the other serious contenders are going to have likewise perfectly trained mons.

Again, I would say the most pressing issue is that Pokemon's PvP modes are limited, at least to my knowledge, to battling friends or battling anonymous people without any proper match making, and built-in features to "even the playing field" being limited to normalizing levels to either 50 or 100. Even if you and your opponent can agree on a rule set, there is nothing to prevent one side from violating the agreed upon terms.

For a franchise that has such a prominent multiplayer function, the developers don't do a very good job of making the multiplayer accessible to players of all skill levels.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Is Blissey really the 'best' wall? I mean, Blissey just has a huge HP, Blissey's Def and SpD aren't spectacular.

I think if you play Pokemon decently, you can easily take out teams of legends. Legends are used by people who don't know how to play Pokemon properly, so they get the highest stat pokes with a mix of attacks. Most legend teams don't go further with strategies than overpowering the opponent or maybe a substitute. If you can play your strategies well, you should be able to take out legend teams easily.

In OU you have many special moves that legends can't learn, keep that in mind. Most legend exclusives are just very strong offensive moves (exception of Darkrai's Dark Void), which Smeargle can learn anyway! Seriously, you shouldn't get so upset over legend teams.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Pols Voice »

Aside from its x4 weakness to fire, escavalier makes a good wall and attacker.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

So does Scizor, but Scizor is less of a wall, but has more speed. It just really depends on what you're running or want to run. Forretress is also a good wall, but not attacker. So that's 3 options for a bug/steel. Escavalier would probably be the best in trick rooms, since it can learn drill run, which is ground and takes out fire pokemon.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Pols Voice »

Ironically mine has drill run, and knock off.
JHock115
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: START DA BUS!

Post by JHock115 »

Shuckle is an amazing wall with contrary shell smash as it flips the drops and boosts.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

*Double checks facts* Okay, Blissey is one of the best Special walls, but has one of the crappiest physical defenses in the game. I thought both of its defense were decent to good and both of its attacks being crap, not both physical stats being crap with both special stats being decent to good. Also, looking at its G6 learn set, it sounds like it would make a perfect cleric in triple battles thanks to Heal Pulse.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

^I always thought Blissey was buffy in def and spd too, but it's actually pretty disappointing. It's HP is enough to keep it up for a while though.
Pols Voice wrote:Ironically mine has drill run, and knock off.
So does mine, but I'm considering to get rid of knock off.
JHock115 wrote:Shuckle is an amazing wall with contrary shell smash as it flips the drops and boosts.
Why would you do that, it's kind of useless, don't you think? It's already bulky enough. I'd probably rather power trick it in a trick room team.
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Pols Voice »

^ or you could have she'll smash, power trick, and trick room. That would make it increasingly deadly.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Speaking of Shuckle, isn't it possible to turn it into the ultimate glass cannon with some abilities/status moves that swap attack and defense stats? Of course, either way, Shuckle is unbalanced to the point that you almost need a gmmick team to make it viable.
Pols Voice
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Pols Voice »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Speaking of Shuckle, isn't it possible to turn it into the ultimate glass cannon with some abilities/status moves that swap attack and defense stats?
That's called power trick, it's a status move that swaps defensive stats to offensive stats, especially for shuckle.