Living Pokédex

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

Have you ever managed it?

No, never
50%
Yes (Gen 1-3)
No votes
Yes (Gen 4-6)
No votes
Currently attempting
50%

Total votes: 2

Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Thunder Fang! See you never.

Living Pokédex

Post by Jack Augustine »

I've started to try this out on my X, counting as National rather than Kalos/Regional. However... I know people use different rules. To count event legends or to not, that's the question.

Me, since I already had all of 'em when I decided to try (Diancie included), I counted them in there.

Any stories on how hard it was?

Any advice?

To those who don't know, a Living Pokédex is a game that has one of EVERY POKEMON that exists in, usually ordered by Dex ID number
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Re: Living Pokédex

Post by Tobi »

It doesn't sound THAT much harder than completing the National Dex, unless you use help from outside people that trade legendaries back and forth.

It just means that you need to keep an additional one or three to keep them in your box.

It's also just a huge waste of space so I don't intend on ever doing this. I don't have pokebank, so yeah.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Jack Augustine »

Tobi, think. I've got tons of space left for Pokemon I actually USE. Even for Pokemon I don't. Current spreads in OP coming soon.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

I am thinking. You only have about 200 spaces left. I personally use up a lot of box spaces for competitive pokemon, breeding leftovers for WT and pokemon I save for future breeding purposes. Or just pokemon I want to save for collection purposes and all, like legendaries.

I just think that it's "fun", that is all, and a nice thing to be able to say, like, yeah I finished the living pokedex, look! It's just inconvenient, so I'll refrain from doing this, personally. I'd rather get the shiny charm.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Jack Augustine »

I haven't even got the full dex yet, so the living dex'll just be like an aid/check for me.

Btw, Phione's the last legendary I got, I got down to breeding it only yesterday
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

I'm sure it helps on keeping track, but I'd rather check my pokedex a million times or take notes than having to get extra pokemon for no reason and clog up my boxes.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Its bragging rights so count me out.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I've never attempted a full living Pokedex, though I have attempted something of similar overall difficulty:
Getting one of every fully evolved Pokemon caught in a Premier ball(if a member of the evolution line can be found in the wild) or a Pokeball(if not found in the wild but breedable).

On my Pearl, I came fairly close, with most of the mons not in Premier balls being ones not found in the wilds of Sinnoh by normal means and a few Legendaries. Also used nothing but Premier balls in Platinum, SoulSilver, and White, and even restarted Emerald to use only premier balls after I migrated my entire collection to GEN4, but the difficulty in Migrating from G4>G5 prevented me from condensing and organinzing my collection in White and vision loss has prevented me from playing X/Y.

As for Order, I use a modified National Ordering:
Starters in Front, sorted by Generation.
-Legends at the end, sorted by generation, though associated legends are grouped together even if they have non-consecutive dex numbers(e.g. Regigigas is next to the Regi Trio, and Cresselia and Darkrai are together)
-Non-starter, Non-legends are in the middle, grouped by evolution family and ordered by national dex number of the first member to appear i nthe National dex(e.g. Pichu is right before Pikachu near the front of the G1 section instead of being in the G2 section, and all of the Eevolutions are right after Eevee).
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

That honestly sounds cool to do, Jeffery, but to me, collecting 700+ pokemon is as bothersome and time consuming as it is.

I do fancy a challenge, but I just prefer going straight for the shiny charm and do competitive stuff instead.