Legendary Catch Rates

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Legendary Catch Rates

Post by Flame »

So yeah, I mentioned this in the Smash topic.

In X and Y, legendaries were disappointingly easy to catch. I got to Xerneas with glee, ambitiously waiting for the usual struggle to catch the legendary after saving beforehand, knocked it down to red HP, put it to sleep, and caught it in the first ultra ball I threw. I found that whereas in previous games the catch-rate for legendaries had been about 3-5, the catch rate for Xerneas was a sodding 45.

Would you prefer the catch rate for legendaries to go back to being hard again for ORAS, or do you want it to stay easy?

I'd prefer it to be really difficult again. Nothing can beat the satisfaction of finally hearing your Pokéball click as you finally catch a seriously difficult Pokémon. Catching Dialga and Rayquaza in a plain old Pokéball was seriously fun and the challenge was one of the things that made me love Pokémon's legendaries all the more, so to find it gone was pretty crushing. As I really, really hope they ramp up the difficulty again and make it not easy as hell to catch Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza in this next game.

What do you think?
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Re: Legendary Catch Rates

Post by Crash32 »

I used the Master Ball on Xerneas I think...
I have caught legendaries in the past with just the standard ball, but it was frustrating more than anything.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

I intentionally used the standard ball because they've kept this practice up since Generation 5.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Hasn't 45 been the standard catch rate for Box legends since at least Diamond and Pearl? Then again, hasn't capturing the box legend been a forced story event since at least Diamond and Pearl?

Anyways, I've been using nothing but Premier balls since Platinum. Makes the whole game quite a bit more challenging, especially since I also used all my money on Pokeballs and had none left for healing items(and generally sold most common healing items found in the wild). Some of the harder to catch Legends are a test in patience even when you have them asleep, false swiped down to 1 HP and have a few hundred premier balls in your bag and nothing better(except the Master Balls you refuse to use).
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

I think they should go back to hard, to keep the theme of having to use the master ball on the box legend (and mewtwo). I ended up not saving before seeing Xerneas, so I wasn't prepared to catch it, unfortunately... I used the master ball, but I had no idea they were THAT easy. Was it like this with Zygarde and the others too? Because I remember in emerald and diamond that I was SOOO HAPPY that I FINALLY caught them. It took so many tries, but now I did all of them in one go, except for Mewtwo because Mewtwo ****ing recovers all the goddamn time =_=
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Xerneas/Yveltal are purposely easy to catch. They're important to the plot and have to be caught for it to progress (I Think), and taking forever to catch them would be a major pain.

If you want an actual hassle for catching a Legendary, try getting the Legendary roaming bird in your game. I haven't tried to catch him since I'm raising a "Hunter" Smeargle for catching pokemon specifically, but when I was trying to catch/soft reset him it took me at least hours on end to actually get him in the ball, not even counting the nature and IVs.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

I actually did that in x/y first try as well because I wanted to save in front of Articuno, but he apparently swoops down... So I ended up not saving and using ultra balls.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

You were supposed to catch it? News to me. Well, that leaves a lot of hope for ORAS.

Well, that's the thing. I went and saw Moltres about 12 times, and then it went to the Sea Spirit's Den. It then proceeded to be no problem at all and I caught it pretty easily (I did with Mewtwo as well, actually), but I assumed it was because catch rate had been bumped up.

Well, in that case, it looks like it's not even really in danger. Well... I'm glad I know now~
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: Vugzahd, rei ahrk storniik.

Post by Skonia »

an actual challenge is zygarde, even though i caught it with a pokeball (which was a surprise to me, considering they were the only balls i had left after wasting tons of ultras)
y'all...
Image Image Image
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^Such is the luck of the RNG at times(and really, all captures come down to luck as everything else the player does is lowering the threshold value the RNG needs to reach for a success).
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

However, the RNG for catching pokemon is probably my favorite RNG ever used in any game. Even when I'm in a Friend Safari using a level 3 Catch Rate on a 1 HP female Eevee that's been put to sleep, I still nervously and excitedly watch for the three wobbles and sigh with relief when it clicks.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa