A question about the GTS

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: A question about the GTS

Post by chaoadventures »

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

No your soul is loaded into hell the second you ask for a level 5 legendary in exchange for anything.
If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

^Which is also an event legendary, which makes it so that it is not possible to trade no matter what.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Post by Midnite »

Kausa wrote:No your soul is loaded into hell the second you ask for a level 5 legendary in exchange for anything.
Well, actually, some legendaries are legitimately available at low levels, such as any legendaries obtained from Pokemon Radar, and the infamous Lv1 Regigigas. What's worse is asking for Lv9 and under evolutions that are completely impossible to obtain at that level. How are we supposed to even obtain a level 9 Hydreigon...?
- space for rent -
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

The real question is why we're blaming people for making impossible requests instead of blaming GameFreak for not even attempting to code the GTS in a way to prevent such requests or filtering GTS results to only display requests you have a match for by default?

Seriously, would it have been that hard to code a "minimum valid level" variable for each mon(set to lowest level encountered in wild for mons found in the wild, set to evolution level for mons that evolved via level-up if lower than lowest wild encounter level, and set to level of event mon if an event version is released at a normally impossible level without having an anti-GTS ribbon) and rejecting requests where the maximum level is below this value(and bumping up the minimum level of a request to this value)? Also, the GTS would be a lot less frustrating to use if searches only returned trade requests asking for something I have(with the option to expand the search to requests for things I don't have if I feel like gambling on a trade offer still being there by the time I can obtain the requested mon.

Hardly seems fair to blame players for taking advantage of lazy coding or making mistakes that are only allowed because of said lazy coding. Note that I'm assuming most people making impossible requests are less mature players who either want to show off their prized mons(even if they're crap by any meaningful standard) without risking it getting traded or not realizing that the request is impossilbe but the GTS doesn't reject impossible requests.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

You should still blame the players, that'd be like not blaming robbers because there was a minor flaw in security. They're still guilty for having the bad conscience to exploit it instead of helping fix it.

That being said GTS is useless once you learn about sites like Smogon that have forums with dedicated trading sections, full of nice people who are willing to make good trades or even donate, plus you can get pokes in rare balls, pokes with good IVs, egg moves, whatever you want. Hell, some even take commons for more rare pokemon or depending on the Pokemon, will take it for part oft heir collection. It's really awesome.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

You have the option to exclude legendarys from your search now, but that still doesn't fix all the level 5 dragonites people want >.>
If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Nova! wrote:You should still blame the players, that'd be like not blaming robbers because there was a minor flaw in security. They're still guilty for having the bad conscience to exploit it instead of helping fix it.
I'd have to call poor analogy. Players making impossible requests on GTS are harmless whereas a competent robber can ruin lives with their crimes. Plus, we're talking a bad design decision that GameFreak has neglected to fix accross six games.

To make the analogy more accurate, it's more like a business man walks into the lobby of his building to discover some not quite vandals have hung up posters with inappropriate imagery because the night watchman fell asleep at his post, and it keeps happening. Eventually, said night watchman's going to get fired for failing to keep out trespassers even thoughsaid trespassers aren't doing any damage to the building.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Kausa wrote:You have the option to exclude legendarys from your search now, but that still doesn't fix all the level 5 dragonites people want >.>
It's not really a legendary exclusion, more like a uber exclusion. Pokemon like Moltres are still shown :I
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.