What games do you include in your concept of a Generation?

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

Which games do you include in your concept of a Generation?

The main paired versions and their third version.
10%
The paired versions, the third version, and remakes of earlier generations.
40%
All of the above plus console games compatible with the handheld games.
10%
All of the above plus other spin-offs released during the same time-span.
30%
Other(please explain in a post).
10%

Total votes: 10

Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

What games do you include in your concept of a Generation?

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Inspired by the recent necro of the first gen vs favorite gen thread: Which games do you include in your concept of a generation?

For me, I include the main paired version, the third version, and where applicable, remakes of an earlier generation's paired versions.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Re: What games do you include in your concept of a Generatio

Post by Tobi »

When talking about a generation, I usually include the new pokémon that were introduced, so, the original games in which these were introduced. The remakes do include these pokémon, but I prefer to refer to those as gen <blank> remakes. Though, honestly, I might slip up and refer to a remake as part of the generation it was introduced in.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

A generation begins with the introduction of a new region and that region's unique Pokemon, and includes all of the subsequent Pokemon games where those new Pokemon are available until the introduction of a new region with new Pokemon. This is the language Bulbapedia and most other large web resources use when talking about Gens; this is the first time I've heard the terminology used in a limited sense.

Hence Gen II began with the Gold and Silver's introduction of Johto and the Johto Pokemon, and Gen II continued and encompassed all games created until the release of Ruby and Sapphire, which introduced Hoenn and its expanded roster of Pokemon. Basically a Gen should be defined by what Pokemon are available in it.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

To expand on my previous post, when I use the term generation in regards to Pokemon, I'm generally only thinking of the main series and treat most of the spin-offs as either singular entries or separate series as appropriate. Then again, as a general rule, I couldn't tell you when any of the spin-offs, even the ones I've played were released in relation to the main series games except for the console games that allow importing mons from the handheld games.

In reply to Tobi, I tend to think of the remakes both as GX remakes and as being part of GY where X is the generation being remade and Y is the generation the remakes were made during.

Then again, I have to wonder if we would even think of the Pokemon franchise in terms of Generations if each main series installment was a single game rather than 2 or 3(or 4 in the case of the Japanese versions of G1) versions with slight differences.

jef
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

^Only if we're talking about 'generations of Pokemon games' instead of 'generations of Pokemon', which is where I'm pretty sure the term originated.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:In reply to Tobi, I tend to think of the remakes both as GX remakes and as being part of GY where X is the generation being remade and Y is the generation the remakes were made during.

Then again, I have to wonder if we would even think of the Pokemon franchise in terms of Generations if each main series installment was a single game rather than 2 or 3(or 4 in the case of the Japanese versions of G1) versions with slight differences.
I find it fair to think of them as both generations, since they do turn into the new meta game. I suppose my previous statement of people referring to FR/LG as gen 3, HG/SS as gen 4 and then suddenly OR/AS as gen 3 remakes is irrelevant because I think OR/AS is too new to be referred to as gen 6, since people were really excited because they were remaking gen 3. Once a gen 4 remake, or a re-remake of gen 1 occurs, I bet OR/AS would get a similar treatment as the previous remakes that were made.

I don't really consider side-games to be of any generation, because they aren't part of the meta games. I suppose BR was kind of a meta game since they added an online function, but it was more a battle simulator than a game.

When I'm talking about a pokemon generation, I'm most likely referring to the original games, since I find talking about 2-3 games with one term more specific than 4-5 games, specially because the original games of a certain generation are essentially the same aside from version exclusive pokemon, slight story tweaks and, as of now, mega stones.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
FedoraBrella Chao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Fedoras and umbrellas...together at last!

Post by FedoraBrella Chao »

Depends. When I'm referring to what features were introduced, what Pokemon were introduced, tournament rules and legalities, and generally things like "This was first in Generation _" or "This was only in Generation _", I'm referring to the main games (the main pair, the third version/sequels/whatever, remakes of past main games). Otherwise, to me, a generation is all games within that timespan. Remakes are part of the generation they were released in (i.e. HeartGold/SoulSilver is Generation 4 to me.)
Fedoras and umbrellas will always stand beside me!