Surprised more people aren't talking about Pokemon Go (tips inside)

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Surprised more people aren't talking about Pokemon Go (tips inside)

Post by Mooncow »

It's dominating everywhere - I'm in Mauritius and I had to download it here and spend too much money on roaming data!

I'll add a few beginner tips for what I've learned:

Pokestops refresh after about 5 mins, where you can go back and get more items!
The big circle is where your pokeball has to land to catch the pokemon.
The moving circle is skill - if you throw the ball in the moving circle, you get bonus EXP (smaller the circle, the higher skill needed and better bonus!)
I'm not sure whether the smaller the circle is a better catch chance, or if you have to throw it into the circle AS WELL.

Nearby pokemon:
3 pawprints = furthest
2 pawprints = close
1 pawprint = near! it might pop up!
0 pawprints = You're basically there.. it should appear.

Rustling bushes give an indicator of where to look. However I'm not sure if they mean anything when there is no "nearby pokemon" displayed??

At level 5 you can choose a team, I chose yellow because I like the word Instinct and I like Zapdos.

Put eggs in an incubator and if you walk or cycle a certain distance they hatch!
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
XiconDestoroyah
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: VTuber - XiconExertoroyah

Re: Surprised more people aren't talking about Pokemon Go (tips inside)

Post by XiconDestoroyah »

I bet everyone is playing it so much that they are barely on the fourm to talk about it.

I found some more things. Allow me to extend our tips on this site. :)

The higher the level, the higher the CP of the Pokemon you find (You'll still encounter low CP ones)

Certain Pokemon can be found in certain places, like rivers, beaches, etc. Heck, you find certain Pokemon in places with high or low temperature! (That surprised me)

There is another way to throw a Pokeball. Spin the Pokeball and throw to get a curve throw. That'll get ya come more XP.

Speaking of XP, if you have a couple of Lucky Eggs, use them when you are at a very low level to Level up very fast. What's even better is that if you do this where there is a lot of Pokemon, you're going on an unbelievable XP spree! In fact, that's what's recommended.

Time is also a thing. Depending on time can also depend on what Pokemon are out and about in your area. (I haven't really experienced this yet.)

One last thing, Incense and Lure Modules are important. Combine them together at a PokeStop, and your bound to get some good experience AND Pokemon. You know what? Add a Lucky Egg to that too.

Congratulations, you're now OP.
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

gosh diddly darn it is nowhere safe
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

im trying to get a new phone asap bc my current phone is too old to run it properly. it looks real fun, i cant wait till they add the rest of the pokemon
help me
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

It's ok.

I can't really do much because since I'm currently in the middle of nowhere, there's no reception and nothing but giant fields so for the past 3 days all I've gotten is a caterpie and a zubat when I went back into town to do some errands. It's nifty, but could definitely be improved. I honestly don't like it that much, and think it's overrated because it's VR Pokemon - sure it's cool, but it doesn't have the same appeal to me as actually battling pokemon to try and get them low enough that you can catch them.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

I play it, but I'm way behind compared to my friends.
I don't really go anywhere other than work and down the street to buy some things right now. It'll probably be like that until school starts up again.

So the power creep is already getting to me. I have found some neato stuff though~

Also, always remember you can curve the ball by drawing a circle with it. This is only really helpful if you're trying to catch a bigger pokemon, though, because it's really hard to figure out the trajectory of the ball.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

More progress! I've seen pokemon that come out of the rustling leaves even with no pokemon on the nearby screen - I've also seen pokemon come out of nowhere too!
I've been standing on leaves for about 15 minutes and nothing, I think it may be to do with a higher level needed.

Higher the level you are, the rarer pokemon and higher CP you can find (as Xicon said).

What can hatch from the eggs:

Lastly, regarding dust and candies I haven't looked much into but these are the things on my mind:

Higher your level, the higher you can raise a pokemons CP to. But what I don't know is, is there a limit it can raise if you catch it at a low level? Or can you continue raising it? Could you get a more powerful pokemon by raising its CP from a really low level than finding an already high one?

I think my plan is to fill my pokedex, and then focus on Gyms. I've got 3 gyms here in Mauritius - when you hold a gym, they give you 10 coins each after 21 hours. You have to manually collect them from the shop! When you do this, the countdown of another 21 hours will start.

Edit: What I've learned about CP and evolution (not Chao Points haha)
  • If you power up a low CP pokemon, it will be the same power level as getting an already high CP pokemon - but you spend more dust of course.
  • It's more dust efficient to power up a pokemon after it's in it's final evolution because movesets change on evolution.
  • It's more dust efficient to evolve a high CP pokemon, because the CP goes up in a ratio. You will spend more dust evolving a low CP pokemon and then using dust to power it up to it's new max CP limit.
So this is great, but all I need to learn now is more about moves, and what other things make a pokemon better than the other (eg size (XL) )
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

I'm not sure about Low CP limits, however there is a limit on power-up depending on your level.
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

vI've been standing on leaves for about 15 minutes and nothing, I think it may be to do with a higher level needed.[/quote]
Leaves don't always have a pokemon for you to catch. Leaves are just there to give you a general direction to follow if you don't have a destination in mind (if you're just walking around for pokemon, for example), or if you decide you want to turn your phone off while walking. You just go from grass movement to grass movement and hope you find things on the way.

The main way to actually get pokemon is to just walk around, and let them appear on your screen.
Mooncow wrote:Higher your level, the higher you can raise a pokemons CP to. But what I don't know is, is there a limit it can raise if you catch it at a low level? Or can you continue raising it? Could you get a more powerful pokemon by raising its CP from a really low level than finding an already high one?
Yeah, there's a wall.
People on reddit who have already reached level 25 have maxed out some of their older pokemon. Either it just gets too expensive for it to be worth it, or they simply can't level them up further. That's why I only use my dust and candy on pokemon I catch that are 300+
Mooncow wrote:I think my plan is to fill my pokedex, and then focus on Gyms. I've got 3 gyms here in Mauritius - when you hold a gym, they give you 10 coins each after 21 hours. You have to manually collect them from the shop! When you do this, the countdown of another 21 hours will start.
It's probably better to focus on the gyms first.
You can deposit all your pokemon in gyms, then collect the coins. Even if you deposited weak pokemon, as long as they're in a gym, you can get your coins and use them for incense and stuff.
Last night I deposited my vaporeon, and then went directly to the shop to get coins for it. Your pokemon doesn't need to be in the gym for 21 hours to get the coins. You just collect them after every 21 hours.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

i soft reset my phone and pokemon go works now and im so hyped. so far ive just got the bulbasaur and a ponyta. im waitin to leave the house so i can go get more :o
help me
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

Pumpkinium wrote:i soft reset my phone and pokemon go works now and im so hyped. so far ive just got the bulbasaur and a ponyta. im waitin to leave the house so i can go get more :o
Congrats! I have yet to see a Ponyta, but boy are Bulbasaurs common in town! I caught 3-4 in one day :O
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.