Breakdown of Chao Personality

This forum is now locked! Thank you for all your contributions. A new Wiki system for future contributions is being worked on.

(A forum for those who are able to contribute information for the main website, and help the website become the #1 source for Chao!)
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
KnucklesTheEchidna
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Breakdown of Chao Personality

Post by KnucklesTheEchidna »

I'm new here on the forums, however I've used Chao Island for Chao Information for years. I figured it was time to make my own contribution. I was looking through the Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Chao Island page, and noticed there was a small amount of information on Chao Personalities. What the personalities make your Chao do and how it affects the Hidden Stats, Intelligence and Luck. Well, I'm here to break it down! This is a work in progress, and some information may not be 100% correct yet.

About
All Chao are given a personality, this personality can be viewed in the Health Center by looking at the yellow page of the Medical Chart. I have done some research, and have broken down what each personality does for your Chao.

Personality

NOTE: All Chao have their personality set when their egg is created, NOT when the egg is hatched. If you get an unwanted personality, you must return to a save before you created the egg.

Short-Tempered: A Short-Tempered Chao is quick to get angry. It's hard for Short-Tempered Chao to make friends, and harder for them to mate with other Chao. This Chao's Intelligence starts at level 10, however, Intelligence can't be raised. On the other hand, its Luck increases twice as fast as other Chao. This is often known as one of the "Bully" personalities.

Cry-Baby: A Chao with this personality is extremely annoying. It also has both an Intelligence and Luck of level 5, which can't be raised. It cries for no reason, whenever it feels like it. Its rumored that this personality can be caused by SPOILING your Chao.

Naive: A Naive Chao raises its Intelligence AND Luck twice as fast as normal, makes friends easily, and will mate more easily. However, it may cry when it's alone in the garden.

Picky Eater: A Chao that is a Picky eater is picky about their food, obviously. Anyways, a Chao with this personality will also have a fixed Luck stat of 5.

Curious: Curious Chao love to learn, and their Intelligence raises twice as quickly as normal. Their Luck, however, is fixed at level 5. A Curius Chao will also make friends easily and mate easily.

Energetic: Energetic Chao play with toys a lot; They do not make friends easily or mate easily. They are known as the other "Bully" personality because of their anger.

Big Eater: Big Eater's will eat a lot, and eat just about anything. However, it's easier to keep them happy.

Carefree: Carefree Chao likes to play, but isn't very Intelligent. Their Intelligence stops raising at level 5.

None: These Chao aren't anything special. They're just mindless Chao with no personality.

Chao Behavior

Spoilt: A Spoilt Chao is a Chao that has been given TOO MUCH love. The Chao will be lazy and cry a lot for no reason. However, if they are Spoilt their whole life, they are very likely to reincarnate!

Bully: A Chao becomes a bully with a combination of either the Energetic/Short-Tempered personalities and being neglected and beaten, as well as spoiling other Chao in front of it. It will steal food from other Chao, attack other Chao and sometimes even your character (which doesn't hurt you). This Chao will not reincarnate.

Neutral: The Neutral Chao likes your character but is not amazed by them. They will not reincarnate.

Love: This Chao Praises you as their God and may bow before you or look at you and prance towards you for love. A Dark Chao may give you a thumbs up. A Loving Chao will DEFINITELY reincarnate.

Hate: This Chao despises you and hates you. A Hating Chao is made when you use a character of the opposite allignment to your Chao's when picking it up or standing near it.

Other Behaviors

If you look at your Chao and the Chao notices, it will skip towards your character, if it loves you.

A Hero Chao will bow to you, while a Dark Chao will smile and give a thumbs up!

If you have abused your Chao and are standing near it, it may cry or run away screaming.

Chao cry more often when you can see them, but still cry if you can't.

If your Chao is a Bully, it will steal fruit from other Chao when you're not looking.

When Power Chao are hungry, they may shake a tree to get a fruit to drop.

I hope to make this better and add more behaviours of Chao with different personalities, this is just a rough draft. Let me know what you think, please. :D

-Knuckles
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: Breakdown of Chao Personality

Post by Mamkute »

I know that a lot of these concepts were brought forward by rumors, but a lot of them have no evidence to support them.
KnucklesTheEchidna wrote:Chao's Intelligence starts at level ___, however, Intelligence can't be raised.
Or luck for that matter. I know that this was a common idea in the past, but it is not true. All chao may raise both Luck and Intelligence, and start at the same level. Chao may have different grades for the hidden stats, but there is no evidence to indicate that the level of their grades is tied to personality.
KnucklesTheEchidna wrote:Bully: A Chao becomes a bully with a combination of either the Energetic/Short-Tempered personalities and being neglected and beaten, as well as spoiling other Chao in front of it. It will steal food from other Chao, attack other Chao and sometimes even your character (which doesn't hurt you). This Chao will not reincarnate.
There is no evidence to indicate that chao may become a "bully" or that they may do any of those acts, such as stealing food and attacking characters. The biggest insult chao have is crying and going "blah" at a character.
KnucklesTheEchidna wrote:Hate: This Chao despises you and hates you. A Hating Chao is made when you use a character of the opposite allignment to your Chao's when picking it up or standing near it.
Chao may like characters of the opposite alignment. Hate only arises if a character is used to abuse the chao. And the only thing the chao does because of it is be unhappy, and as said before, go "blah" at the character.
KnucklesTheEchidna wrote:Chao cry more often when you can see them, but still cry if you can't.
If your Chao is a Bully, it will steal fruit from other Chao when you're not looking.
When Power Chao are hungry, they may shake a tree to get a fruit to drop.
There is no actual reports of either of these happening. There is no real concept of "sight" when you are in the garden. Bully chao because they don't really exist. And I have done several experiments on the Power chao shaking fruit loose concept. They do not do it.\
Sorry if I seem harsh from this listing. And welcome to CI.
KnucklesTheEchidna
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

As I said before, this is a work in progress. I will be doing my own research over the next couple of weeks, including whether or not Chao have grades in these hidden stats. I don't expect Mooncow to put this on the site yet or anytime soon, just something I can do to help this site be that much better. Thanks for the criticism, I wouldn't be able to better this guide to Personalities and Behaviors without it.
Also, "Bully" Chao is probably one of the biggest rumor regarding Chao. Some say they've achieved a Bully Chao, others say it's utterly impossible. You must respect the fact that Bully Chao can NOT reincarnate, and it can actually take their whole Chao life to turn them into a "Bully" Chao, according to rumor. Even if you abuse it, you still would have to spoil another Chao, or multiple Chao in order to turn this Chao into a Bully. You can't just entirely knock the idea until there is solid evidence one way or the other, this is what I will be researching.

And thanks, I'm glad to be here and nice to make your acquaintance :D

-Knuckles
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

KnucklesTheEchidna wrote:whether or not Chao have grades in these hidden stats
They do. This has been confirmed by Fusion, who has done hacking to see inner workings of chao. However, they do not have the same grade style of the visible stats. They vary in greater amounts, and may grow to high values.

When it comes to bully chao, yes, I suppose you are right, that I can't say with absolute certainty that it will not happen. However, I prefer a mentality of they must be proven before I accept them as existing. And the only reports of them come from unreliable sources. And people have been known for over-crediting chao interactions (like the concept of chao friends.) Chao are not that complex as to have such in depth interactions.

But, if you wish to test the bully chao concept, I will not stop you, and wish you the best of luck.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Because humans are so good at recognizing patterns, we often see patterns where none exist. A prime example of this phenomena is how often people observe coincidental behaviors in Chao and jumped to false conclusions about them interacting with each other.

Also note: The above is a phenomena that real scientists have made note of and are themselves vulnerable to, which is one reason scientific discoveries are often reported years after the fact: to ensure that the patterns that led to the discovery are real, and not just artifacts of the human brain's ability to see patterns where none exist.

That said, Fusion has essentially mapped the Chao Genome to a level that real-world genetists could only dream of mapping real-world organism's genomes, and Mamkute is propably one of the more scientifically rigorous of this sites experimental/observational Chao biologiests.

Until proven otherwise, my interpretation of Chao personality is that it is little more than flavor text, though its quite possible the original coders of Chao's A-Life system wanted to do more with them, but never got the opportunity to do so.
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

Wow.

Sorry if I'm completely breaking the flow of this topic, but this new user is writing great posts.
KnucklesTheEchidna
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Well, to continue on with Mamkute, I will agree people are probably finding more about Chao then what is actually there. And I also don't expect Mamkute or anyone else to believe in Bully Chao or anything of the sort until I have submitted my facts and evidence here. Even then, this is a subject that will always be debated. I'm sure some still believe the Luck and Intelligence aren't just hidden, but entirely fictional. The point I'm getting at is, with how advanced of a breeding system Sega developed, I will not knock that they thought as far as to make certain personalities make Luck/Intelligence raise faster, stop at a certain level, or make advanced Grades for these level. Some things have been proven, but this thread is meant to provide clear explanations for each Personality as research of them develops. So Fusion may have proven there are Grades for these hidden stats, but how much does he even know about them? For that reason, I will continue Fusions research on that subject, as well as continuing research of my own on Personalities, Behaviors and the hidden stats.

It's hard for me to read sarcasm on the net, but if you were giving me a compliment, I thank you, eboyblue3. I'm glad to be here.

-Knuckles

EDIT: @Jeffery: While I am not prepared to say what I have seen of Chao Personality patterns is something entirely coincidental, I do understand and respect what you stated above. I very well could just be making false assumptions that mean nothing, but that is the point of this thread. I hope to prove which statements in my original post are true, and which are myth's. No one has to agree with anything I said in my first post, but don't knock all of it just yet, either. You could end up being surprised by what's the truth ^^
Emerald Lance
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Emerald Lance »

Well, whether eboyblue3 is being sarcastic or not (I don't think he is), I'm serious when I say that this is a good thread. Make no mistake, much of this information is flat out untrue (I've read a few pages with the same information and have tested it myself), but the sentiment is a good one and the purpose is sound. I think it should probably be emphasized in the first post (as opposed to briefly mentioned) that the information should be taken with a grain of salt due to the fact that you're still doing your research. But the format and length of the post itself is beautiful. Reliability of the information aside, grammatically correct and topically in-depth posts like these are what new members of every forum should strive for. Respect! Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

Until just recently, I believed a lot of this myself (specifically the bit about personality impacting hidden stats). The truth is, in my time exploring the code of the games, I haven't found anything to argue against Jeffery's notion that personalities are just "flavor text". I mean, they may or may not nudge a chao's behavior in one way or another, but in all my experiments it has never been enough to take note of (ie it's never been as much as a difference for me to be sure that it wasn't just coincidence, eg I've seen big eaters eat slowly with small bites and I've seen non-big eaters eat quickly with huge swallows).

I'm fairly certain that all stats and grades work the same regardless of personality, including the hidden stats. All grades can be maxed out to S rank in-game (S rank = 5) and brought even higher through hacking, and it is only the grades that dictate the proficiency of a stat per level (personality has no impact at all on leveling).

The chao system isn't nearly as complex as people tend to give it credit for. When you break it down to its key components, it's actually quite simple (on an almost disappointing level). Arguably, the only complex aspect about the chao system is how all of the simple functions and values work together to form a seemingly dynamic virtual being. But still, once broken down, each function and value works on basic elementary level math. In fact, the chao system itself is a great example of people perceiving something that isn't actually there (in this instance, complexity).

All that said, I don't mean any of this to dissuade or embarrass you. Everybody here believes that this is a topic worth attention, and I just want to point you in the right direction. You should only trust the word of reputable sources (such as Chao Island or Sonic Retro). The only instance when you should question one of these sources is when your own definitive research shows conflicting results. Do not give immediate trust to largely unknown sites (I hate to smear mud around, but the information found on http://www.sonicstrike.net/~chao-civic/ ... nality.php and http://www.tangwistel.com/chaology/person.html is completely and utterly untrue and untested) unless your own definitive research shows like results. Remember, by "definitive research", I mean you have tested each aspect by multiple chao and have found a reliable and dependent correlation (for instance, the big eater research I mentioned earlier was taken with roughly thirty chao, half of which were big eaters and the other half had no personality).

Personality is one of the few mysteries left to us. It'll be nice to finally have a concrete answer on just what (if anything) it is meant for. I hope you're able to find out for us. ^-^
SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan, wrote:"I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
--Gamefaqs.com
Mayo
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: Hey hey! This is SapphireChao

Post by Mayo »

It's time to randomly appear out of the blue and give my 2c yet again!!

As far as everyone above has mentioned, Chao are more simplified and structured than meets the eye, and plentiful amount of rumours exist which are mostly untrue. But alas! Proving against this false information is probably one of the reasons why many of us take up this 'Chao Biology', in pursuit of the truth.

As far as I'm aware, personality doesn't impact on a Chao's behaviour or how they interact. I wouldn't be surprised that they intended to include personalities with more function, but was scrapped in the final versions.

Here's where I stand on the 'Bully' Chao issue:

This likely arose from a behaviour taken up by abused Dark Chao, who actually walk up to you and attack the character they hate. People probably thought this action could also be done towards other Chao, but this has never been recorded, which is why we don't believe that Chao can truly become 'bullies' since there's simply the lack of interaction between Chao to support this.

Much like the "Pain song" and drawing a skull, these actions are exclusive to Dark Chao. I wouldn't be surprised that the action of walking up to the character and attacking them is also a Dark Chao exclusive (same as that 'tantrum' when Dark Chao are ticked off).

If you want to test these Dark Chao exclusive activities to prove me wrong, or to support your own ideas, be my guest. :)
The_Awesome_Chao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by The_Awesome_Chao »

The only one I can confirm is big eater.
Arctic
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: trans rights

Post by Arctic »

The few things I've noticed about personality that aren't often brought up are as follows:

I do believe that Energetic dislike breeding. Many of mine, after being fed Heart Fruit, will walk away multiple times from a mating Chao. Then I'll just pick up the non Energetic one and try to make it mate with the Energetic instead, and it does it first try. This has happened to me many, many times, and I'm sure a formal test could be run on it.

And second, When you whistle, Curious Chao will stay and beg to be petted, while Energetics walk away. I tested this, whistling many times in a row with the same Chao, all Curious except one Energetic. Same result every time. I'm not sure Naive, Cry Baby, or Short Temper behave any differently. I know this is a minute detail, but it's rare to discover that personalities on Chao even do anything at all, so I was surprised.

And that's really it. Personalities, to be honest, are mostly just tiny behavior differences like those. Not much more.