Hero/Dark behaviour response to abuse

This forum is now locked! Thank you for all your contributions. A new Wiki system for future contributions is being worked on.

(A forum for those who are able to contribute information for the main website, and help the website become the #1 source for Chao!)
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mayo
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: Hey hey! This is SapphireChao

Hero/Dark behaviour response to abuse

Post by Mayo »

Hey one and all, I'm back in the testing mood, this time it's about the differences in Chao behaviors between Hero and Dark types. While there has been some documentation, I thought it would be worth doing a controlled test to confirm our theories.

The test is designed as such:
  • 2 Chao are born at almost the same time
    Chao No #1 (let's call this one the Dark Chao) is thrown against the wall 50 times by Knuckles
    Chao No #2 (this will be our Hero Chao) is also thrown against the wall 50 times by Rouge
    Both Chao are left in the Neutral Garden with no other interaction, therefore they will be left drowning and will have access to any fruit left over in the garden
    A character they feel neutral towards (Sonic or Shadow) will be present idle in the garden
    Once Chao evolve, I'll record on capture card any behaviours exhibited by the Hero and Dark Chao when Rouge and Knuckles are present.
Just a quick question to those who can check coding, can anyone confirm by how much happiness declines when Chao are thrown, hit, have fruit taken away, etc? I would like to make sure happiness remains at -100 for both Chao as well as -100 bond towards Rouge and/or Knuckles, and would like any confirmation if happiness recovers over time without any interaction.

Hopefully by next week I can show you the results :)
If anyone else wants to test this with me (with the same conditions listed above), you're more than welcome to join in!
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Hero/Dark behaviour response to abuse

Post by chaoadventures »

Most of the happiness values you're looking for are actually on the site, right here.

I also might do an experiment of my own using the Xbox 360 versions of SA1 and SA2.
I'm gonna try SA1 to see what Neutral Chao do differently(if anything).
Spoiler:
The SA1 Process:

I hatch a Chao.
That Chao is jumped on 4 times by Sonic.
The Chao is left in the Station Square Garden with no other interaction, therefore it will be left drowning and will have access to any fruit left in the garden.
A character they feel neutral towards (Tails) will be present, idle in the garden.
Then, I watch what happens with Sonic back in the garden,
Also, I'm pretty sure happiness doesn't recover on it's own, if it does then it probably wouldn't go up while the character the Chao is neutral towards is in
the garden.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Mayo
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by Mayo »

Heyo!

Current findings for -100 happiness towards a -100 bond:
[*]When Chao sees you and dislikes the character, it goes "epp-BAAH" (for both alignments). Evolved Chao that are neutral towards one character will either go "Hiii!" and bow (Hero alignment) or thumbs up (Dark alignment). This is a response when your character isn't doing anything.
[*]Chao will squirm in your hands, leave it for too long and they'll free themselves

I wasn't getting much else apart from that, so I started doing different forms of abuse and see their responses, again Knux was abusing the Dark Chao and Rouge abusing the Hero Chao

[*]Picking up fruit almost always invokes the Sad Response, which involves sobbing or crying, either sitting down or standing up
[*]Attacking (which I'll categorise as jumping on, punching, kicking, drilling) invokes mixed responses of Sadness (as mentioned earlier), Fear (shivering or running away), and Pain (dizziness and hitting head)
[*]Throwing appeared to show similar responses to attacking

Other interesting stuff:

[*]Running away looks to be coded similarly to chasing the ball, except instead of running in the direction towards the target (the ball), it tries to go in the opposite direction that the character is positioned. If the Chao is far enough away from you, it will stop running (but may still have the Fear Response like shivering).
[*]Just an interesting thing I noticed, Chao that hate the character tend to walk/crawl in the opposite direction when they're moving around the garden in general. But I think this may need a bit more testing. (I did record some footage of this where the Dark Chao kept going in the other direction about 3-4 times in a row)

I still want to find out more about triggers with Dark chao exclusive responses (tantrum, hitting character), but haven't yet observed these. I'm assuming this is triggered randomly like the skipping behaviour, or the "Hiii"/thumbs up/"Epp-BAAH" animation where it occurs when your character isn't really doing anything. I may consider a-100 bond and -50 happiness Dark Chao and see if anything happens there, but I still want to get a good grasp on -100 bond -100 happiness behaviour.
Mayo
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by Mayo »

Update:

Upon further testing, a Chao with the Fear response will try to run away from you if they can see you (standing in front of the Chao), but if you are behind them, they will not run away.

I then gave over 51+ happiness by Shadow, to BOTH chao. Here's where things get interesting:
The Hero Chao then starting using the 'thumbs up' animation to greet Shadow, a behaviour more closely resembling Dark Chao. Skipping animation was observed in both the Dark Chao and Hero Chao towards Shadow, but the most interesting aspect is when I gave Parrots to both Chao from Shadow. Normally the Pain Song has been documented exclusively for Dark Chao, but the Hero Chao was also singing the Pain Song!

In my previous experience, Dark Chao who hear the Pain Song tend to throw a Tantrum soon after, but this was not observed even after the Hero Chao sung the Pain Song about 4 times.

It does make me wonder if what was assumed about the Pain song was initially wrong, that it were reserved for Dark Chao and not Hero. Mind you, only Shadow holds the 51+ bond, the rest are 0 for the other characters (apart from Rouge, which is -100). I can confirm the Hero Chao's happiness was still in the negatives, but I think bonding with a Dark character has likely more influence than low happiness.

Up next: Might consider giving 51+ happiness from a Hero Character (probably Sonic) to the Dark Chao, and see if they show any Hero Chao behaviour.
The_Awesome_Chao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by The_Awesome_Chao »

First off happy chao are identical, regardless of alienment. (All chao can give a thumbs up or bow to your character)
Also some behaviors are a direct result of abuse. Not the character. (Crying) and some ARE a result of the character ( opp bah!).
Hero and Neatral chao are identical in everyway (lol boring hero chao)
From testing All of the speacial behavors are dark specific.(a dark chao can perform all of the behaviors in the game)
Mayo
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by Mayo »

Yes, most happy behaviours are identical, my statement when I said "Might consider giving 51+ happiness from a Hero Character (probably Sonic) to the Dark Chao, and see if they show any Hero Chao behaviour." was referring to see if the Dark Chao doesn't sing the Pain Song, sorry for any confusion.

The most interesting aspect here is that a Hero Chao was singing the Pain Song, this was once thought to be an exclusive Dark Chao trait when a Chao with no singing kindergarten experience is given a parrot. What has been established here is that a Dark character bond with a Hero Chao will allow it to do a thumbs up animation (often linked to Dark Chao) and was also singing the Pain song (also once linked to Dark Chao), this just makes the matter more curious to see if tantrums and hitting the character are also possible in Hero Chao. These behaviours are more closely connected with who's raising them, rather than alignment itself.