[SA2B] Black-box testing for personality influence.

This forum is now locked! Thank you for all your contributions. A new Wiki system for future contributions is being worked on.

(A forum for those who are able to contribute information for the main website, and help the website become the #1 source for Chao!)
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Twili95
Egg
Egg

[SA2B] Black-box testing for personality influence.

Post by Twili95 »

My aim is to arrive at definite conclusions on how personalities influence Chao actions. I'll be playing on a real GameCube while sitting at my computer and using this stopwatch:

stopwatch[dot]online-timers[dot]com/stopwatch-with-time-intervals

With the starter Chao, one will be hatched via throwing (fastest method) and one will hatch naturally on its own (slowest method) in order to offset their activity in the garden. In the case of new Chao, any method will do as the existing Chao will already have considerable garden time over them.

Each session, I'll start the timer when I enter a Chao Garden and pause it when stepping out, resuming it upon reentry. Everything observable will be noted and a new interval created with the stopwatch upon each Chao action other than normal movement. This stopwatch enables you to take notes per interval, as you can see. More details to follow at a later time.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: [SA2B] Black-box testing for personality influence.

Post by chaoadventures »

I'm PREETY sure personalities don't do anything.

Now, I don't want to be the pessimist guy that stops good work ethic and really great ideas. But, I am. WHAT JOY.

You can't actually find the exact numbers for these things from the outside, you'd unfortunately have to hack the game.
Because, simply waiting and watching for this won't actually work. It's like rolling a 6-sided die and counting how many times you get a certain number.

You could get it 10 times.
You could get it 1 time.

And you'll never actually get the answer with this experiment. Another part that bothers me, is that even if something has a say, 90% chance to happen, it might keep getting that small 10%
and ruining the whatever might still have been accurate about this.

As I stated, I'm being really pessimistic about this for pointing this stuff out, but if those problems weren't there or you still want to try, I'd say:
Try checking the how this affects the way the Chao play with the Chao Race toys and Kindergarten lessons. That would be interesting.
Last edited by chaoadventures on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Twili95
Egg
Egg

Post by Twili95 »

I've noticed some consistent patterns previously, actually. I haven't kept a record, though. That's what I'm going to do now. Also...I disagree on hacking the game being essential, because I'm not aiming for exact numbers right now, but ones within a reasonable range. Ones for one personality that will stack up against others for another to distinguish them. Relative. The strength of this kind of research comes from how often the experiment is performed. But in addition, I'll provide my results and ask others to corroborate them. If they want to poke into the game's memory to confirm my results, that's what I'd like.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

I expect it to be at least somewhat consistent, the weird freak accidents that could make everything backwards just bother me for things like this.
I also wonder if one personality actually does something really strange, like the blank personality not actually having any patterns and cycling through them, every time you went in the garden.

Wait. What if something like this actually happens? Hm...

Either way, if you're currently just going for general numbers overall, this works pretty well.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.