What causes a chao to struggle? SOLVED.

This forum is now locked! Thank you for all your contributions. A new Wiki system for future contributions is being worked on.

(A forum for those who are able to contribute information for the main website, and help the website become the #1 source for Chao!)
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

What causes a chao to struggle? SOLVED.

Post by Chao Professor »

This is hardly a massive discovery, but I didn't see anything written about it before, so here you go.

For a long time, I believed that all chao, regardless of how they felt about your character, would struggle and attempt to break free after holding them for too long. I assumed it to be a universal behaviour that all chao displayed, and it didn't have a definitive cause. Today, however, I discovered this wasn't quite the case. I took my chao to the Kindergarten. I browsed the black market/changed its name/checked its grades. All of this in total took around five minutes. I was expecting my chao to begin whining and struggling at any moment - but it didn't. Curious, I left my game running for another 15 minutes or so while I took the dog out. When I came back, the chao was still as happy as ever, clapping and cheering without a care.

This got me thinking that perhaps the behaviour did in fact have a trigger, and so, because I'm a tragic kid with too much free time, I decided to experiment. I tried a lot of things - experimenting with character bonds, alignment, child and adult chao, happiness levels and sleepiness - with mixed results. To my surprise, the first chao remaining content wasn't a fluke, as several other of my chao also acted this way. I was about to give up and leave this for another day, as I really couldn't make sense on what was causing it. I didn't know what else I could possibly test - until it hit me right in the face.

Hunger.

I grabbed two chao. One was starving, one was refusing to eat another bite. Both were left in Sonic's deathly grip for 15 minutes (in the Kindergarten to ensure there'd be no escape, mwaha) Hungry chao began whining almost right away, and refused to stop. Full chao remained content all throughout the testing. This was tested a few more times with different pairs of chao. Same results. I fed the hungry chao and tried testing them again - they no longer struggled.

So there you have it. A full chao will never struggle in your grasp. (unless it straight-up hates your character) A hungry chao will always struggle. (regardless of character bond.) This was interesting to learn about, I guess.
Image It's still thinking...
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: What causes a chao to struggle? SOLVED.

Post by Ivogoji »

Cool, I don't think anyone knew this.

It's crazy how much about Chao we are still piecing together after all this time.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Chao Professor

Post by Chao Professor »

It's just one of the things that still make chao interesting after all this time. No doubt there's still alot to uncover and explore. (personality, abuse-related behaviour, the pain song and the playground just to name a few.)
The Thunder
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by The Thunder »

Ivogoji wrote:Cool, I don't think anyone knew this.

It's crazy how much about Chao we are still piecing together after all this time.
Hey,what am I? Chopped liver? I already knew this and I could have sworn I'm the one who first brought it up as I discovered this with my Brown Monotone Hero Chao Pudding. I also mentioned that being hungry can make a Chao throw a tantrum and cry their eyes out. My immortal Neutral Chaos Chao named Light did this at six times so far over the course of its immortal life and each time was because it was starving.
1, 10, 100, 1000, Manjyome!! THUNDER!!
Chao Professor

Post by Chao Professor »

Huh.. Well, we already know that a hungry chao will lie on its back and cry. I was focusing solely on what causes them to act out and struggle while in your character's hands. But, apologies if this has already been posted. I looked around beforehand, but I didn't find anything...
The Thunder
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by The Thunder »

^
Simply put, a Chao will only struggle in a character's hand under two known circumstances. First is the obvious, if the Chao severely dislikes the character, which can only happen through abuse and such and that bonds with a character and their happiness are separate values. And second, it can also happen if the Chao is very hungry, to which it might be saying "I'm hungry! Put me down!"
1, 10, 100, 1000, Manjyome!! THUNDER!!