Chao Faces and Inheritance

This forum is now locked! Thank you for all your contributions. A new Wiki system for future contributions is being worked on.

(A forum for those who are able to contribute information for the main website, and help the website become the #1 source for Chao!)
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mayo
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: Hey hey! This is SapphireChao

Chao Faces and Inheritance

Post by Mayo »

Can someone confirm if Chao Faces are genetically passed down and use alleles that treat the whole face as a single allele?
Something like this:
Happy Eyes No Mouth / Happy Eyes No Mouth (homozygous example)
Normal Eyes No Mouth / Normal Eyes Toothy Grin (heterozygous example)

From experience, I've found this is mostly the case, because in the past I've tried mixing a happy eyed Chao with no mouth with a toothy grin Chao with normal eyes, and didn't get any offspring that were happy eyed with a toothy grin.

When I first came across a normal eyed squiggly mouthed Chao for the first time in SA2B, it became part of a large inbred family tree. Now every now and then the squiggly mouth comes up even when the parents don't have the phenotype of the squiggly mouth. This may suggest that hidden genes are a thing, much like the Monotone/Twotone allele in most Twotones other than the Normal Twotone.

I would like to hear from other people's experiences and see if my anecdotes stack up.

Would test this further if I had access to my Gamecube :(
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Re: Chao Faces and Inheritance

Post by UltimaNumber »

Well, my first Chao has a Normal Face, his daughter has a Half-Closed Eyes face, her daughter has a Normal Face, her daughter has a Normal, her daughter is Normal, her daughter is normal, her daughter is a Soul-Face (^v^), her daughter is normal, this kept continuing until one had another Soul-Face, and the final daughter has a normal smile. Some of their siblings also have normal faces. I'm lead into believing that faces are a hidden gene, too.

Come to think of hidden genes, I think Personalities also have hidden genes! Most of these daughters are Cry Babies, Naïve, and NEVER a Big Eater or energetic, which my first Chao was a big eater. This could open up so much more info we never knew about or have an idea for!

I wonder if anyone else had personality on their offspring like that?
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs
LimitCrown
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by LimitCrown »

Although I haven't had my Chao mate with each other often, the faces of the resulting child Chao were typically different from their parents. For example, in SA2B, Smile the Chao had regular eyes and a toothy grin while Alex the Chao had regular eyes. Their child Martia had regular eyes and a wavy mouth. In another instance, though, Coddle the Chao had regular eyes and a wavy mouth while Fermata the Chao had half-closed eyes. Their child Caesura had the same face that Coddle had. I'm inclined to believe that the faces of newborn Chao are chosen randomly.
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Post by Pratzelwurm »

As far as I've been able to tell, the faces are selected at random upon hatching, with normal eyes and no mouth having the highest chance of occurring. I would have to run several trials and/or find a way to view the game's code to say for certain, but I've yet to find any evidence to suggest that faces are genetic.
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool:
The Thunder
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by The Thunder »

Pratzelwurm wrote:As far as I've been able to tell, the faces are selected at random upon hatching, with normal eyes and no mouth having the highest chance of occurring. I would have to run several trials and/or find a way to view the game's code to say for certain, but I've yet to find any evidence to suggest that faces are genetic.
This may have been coincidental, but I may have bred a couple of Chao with "facial genetics". First, I had a Shiny Pink Two-Tone Chao who had happy eyes and a happy mouth. Before he became a Neutral Chaos Chao, I had him breed with a few other Chao in hopes of passing down his good grades. Among them was Chin, a Black Monotone Chao whose egg came from the Egg Carrier in Sonic Adventure DX and hatched in the Station Square Chao Garden before copying and transferring him to Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. After several tries, I acquired a Shiny Black Two-Tone Chao, Shiny Black being what I always wanted at some point, and he too had the same smiling face as Mystery. I also bred Mystery with a Silver Jewel Chao I also brought over from Station Square and I got a Mint Chao, also with the same smiling face. Coincidence? Or passed through genes? Hmm... :thinking:
1, 10, 100, 1000, Manjyome!! THUNDER!!