I got an idea relating to the Tiny Chao Garden

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Heattokun
Egg
Egg

I got an idea relating to the Tiny Chao Garden

Post by Heattokun »

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

So, heres my sort of idea. We got a program that can export chao, right? The Fusion Chao Editor

So... why doesn't someone just write a program that emulates the Tiny Chao Garden/Chao Adventure's features but loads in the .chao file? We wouldn't be able to get say, items or rings from it, but we could generate new Chao/Egg files in the .chao format,or modify existing ones..

Plus it'd be like a desktop tamagochi so we can raise chao without being inside SA2/SADX

Just my thoughts,though.
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Re: I got an idea relating to the Tiny Chao Garden

Post by Kausa »

I don't know much about programming, but that seems like quiet a task to me.
Also, you can generate and edit chao/eggs with the editor already.

I like the idea, I would love a little desktop chao-magotchi to play with~
If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: I got an idea relating to the Tiny Chao Garden

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Roms are out there for every GBA game that includes a TCG as well as every downloadable version(Or at least the SADX/SA2B/PSO versions), and VisualBoy Advance is there to emulate them, and I'm pretty sure VBA includes gameshark support(or similar cheat functionality). Point is, rewriting the TCG to run natively isn't entirely necessary. This reduces the problem to converting data between .chao and gba formats and injecting/extracting the GBA format data into/from either a VBA savestate or SRAM file. This doesn't make it trivial, but it does make the problem much easier than trying to recreate the TCG in a form that runs natiely and is compatible with .chao files.