So... I found these Chao Editors...

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

So... I found these Chao Editors...

Post by chaoadventures »

For the Sonic Adventure games on the Dreamcast.

I found these, but I actually don't have a Dreamcast so these are
unusable by me.

For SA1 go here: http://www.deco.franken.de/myfiles/editor.html
For SA2 go here: http://www.deco.franken.de/myfiles/editor2.html

These editors appears to have a bunch of features, such as changing the "Change Rate" of a Chao
otherwise known as the "EvolutionStrength". And there were a few things I noticed about the editors
mostly while looking at the SA2 one.

The editor doesn't appear change the exact "DNA" of a Chao (If your Chao is a Normal and Ruby Chao)
but it can control if it is a Jewel Chao, in addition there's this thing that allows
you to change a Chao's "Brightness" whether or not this is linked to a Chao's
DNA is unknown to me, but regardless of that, it may change a Chao to look and/or function
like a chao type we've experimented with (ex. Ruby Chao to Red Mono-tone).

The Editor controls what your Chao looks like allowing your Chao to look like Omochao, Small Animals,
or any opponent that's abnormal in the Challenge Races.

This being an editor and all I'm wondering if setting a Chao's reincarnations higher than 1 would affect
that Chao Doctor glitch.

Also, apparently there was a rumor a Knuckles Chao existed. I would like to see if It's hidden in the DC data
somewhere (along with the others), or just a hoax.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Emerald Lance
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Re: So... I found these Chao Editors...

Post by Emerald Lance »

Great find!

Knuckles chao does exist in DC SA2, as it was an event chao that you could unlock by plugging in your VMU at the event and bringing it back into your Dreamcast a la Tiny Chao Garden. I don't know about the DC SA1 chao system, though; it works entirely different from all the other systems, and thus it allows for types of chao that aren't even possible in the later versions. That said, it's also locked out from well documented recipes in the GCN versions because of the differences. At the very least, it will be interesting to see what can be done with this editor precisely because DC SA1 chao isn't nearly as well documented as later iterations. It's entirely possible this will allow us to see things we never knew could exist.
SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan, wrote:"I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
--Gamefaqs.com
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I recognize that this is a bump to a fairly dead topic, but I have been meaning to test the Chao Editor programs for the VMU. Mostly because of that "DNA" comment.

With the Dreamcast's Black Market inaccessible, we have likely forever lost the files for the Jewel Chao you were able to obtain previously. Because of that, we cannot really conduct breeding tests on the Dreamcast games beyond the use of the Normal Chao, the Black Chao, the Silver Chao, and the Gold Chao. Based on my minimal experience with such breeding, the variable of "brightness" that was mentioned makes sense, as breeding the Black Chao with the Silver Chao or Gold Chao resulted in what I referred to as the Onyx Chao and Copper Chao, respectively, which were simply darker than their Jewel parents.

Most features that are found in the Gamecube version of Sonic Adventure 2 are present in the code of the Dreamcast version. While it rarely comes up, there are remains of a library, in the code for the game, cancelled from the final product. Things like the different colors for Chao and the special Character Chao were hidden there too, and Chao Editor, to my knowledge, allows you to access some of it.

Note: There is humor to be found in someone saying that something is inaccessible on a hacking board, but that is because many efforts to hack the Dreamcast games have failed because hacking the only viable emulators gives inconsistent results. This may have changed, since I'm not the most up-to-date, as the topics I linked too suggests. But I did recently obtain a device that allows me to put files onto my Dreamcast via an SD card, and hope to both do some testing and pray that someone's Chao save file has Jewel Chao that I can use.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Emerald Lance
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Emerald Lance »

I'll likewise be looking into some stuff with the debug info that can be accessed via Gameshark. Unless jewel chao were actual DLC, the files are likely somewhere on the disc, just waiting for a flag to turn them on. I'll report if I find anything.
SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan, wrote:"I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
--Gamefaqs.com
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

Crazo3077 wrote:But I did recently obtain a device that allows me to put files onto my Dreamcast via an SD card, and hope to both do some testing and pray that someone's Chao save file has Jewel Chao that I can use.
I have jewel chao and moon chao on my DC save, but I don't have the actual jewel chao file that you download from the black market (that I can find)

I'll keep searching...
Emerald Lance wrote:I'll likewise be looking into some stuff with the debug info that can be accessed via Gameshark. Unless jewel chao were actual DLC, the files are likely somewhere on the disc, just waiting for a flag to turn them on. I'll report if I find anything.
They were actual DLC, a 3 block file that you save to your VMU (after you upload your save file for an emblem check).
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
ShinigamiMachine
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by ShinigamiMachine »

Mooncow wrote:They were actual DLC, a 3 block file that you save to your VMU (after you upload your save file for an emblem check).
I have seen the DLC files for a few things like the Y2K event thing. I will look into trying to find the chao DLC. No promises that I'll find anything, but I'll try.
ImageImageImage
ShinigamiMachine
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Double posting so that it bumps.

After wading through load of save files, I have found quite a lot of stuff. I don't think I found the chao events, but there's some awesome stuff in these save files.

I have compiled many of the better/interesting ones into a zipped folder complete with descriptions!
Download: Here
ImageImageImage
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Have you confirmed the contents of these saves or did you just collect them?
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
ShinigamiMachine
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

I confirmed about a quarter of them, some from each source.
ImageImageImage
Tyro
VIP
VIP

Post by Tyro »

Emerald Lance wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:44 am Knuckles chao does exist in DC SA2, as it was an event chao that you could unlock by plugging in your VMU at the event and bringing it back into your Dreamcast a la Tiny Chao Garden.
Wow, are you sure? I went through basically all the data and did not find anything hinting for a Knuckles Chao in the Dreamcast version. Do you have any sources, about the event, or any true image of the Knuckles Chao?
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

Tyro wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:26 pm
Emerald Lance wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:44 am Knuckles chao does exist in DC SA2, as it was an event chao that you could unlock by plugging in your VMU at the event and bringing it back into your Dreamcast a la Tiny Chao Garden.
Wow, are you sure? I went through basically all the data and did not find anything hinting for a Knuckles Chao in the Dreamcast version. Do you have any sources, about the event, or any true image of the Knuckles Chao?
I've not heard of this either - so probably false info. Also good to see you tyro! I'll get your rank bar changed :wink:
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.