Help with Texture Editing

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Help with Texture Editing

Post by Pratzelwurm »

So I've recently figured out how to edit textures in SA2 for the PC, including how to unpack, edit, and repack the .prs files within the game using MainMemory's GVM2PAK and PAKtool. However, no matter what I try I can't seem to unpack the file that I believe contains that main chao textures -- that is, al_body.prs. Each time I attempt I get an error message from GVM2PAK. This is the only file that is giving me trouble; I have successfully unpacked and repacked many others, including other character files as well as stages, gardens, and texts.

I have tried moving the file, renaming it, copying it, and mixtures of the three. I know that there are a few other members who have edited chao textures here, and I would like to know if either you know how to fix this error or have an alternate way of accessing the .dds files within the .prs ones.
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool:
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Help with Texture Editing

Post by chaoadventures »

Ah. Chao textures. Really weird files. I actually can't open them myself either. Or the stages (of what I think are the "Highway" levels at least).

They're different from the other prs./pak. files. I think the only way to open them is to use the guide here (which previously did not have working pictures), to use VMT Tool instead of GVM2PAK and PAKEdit.
I don't know exactly how since I didn't know when the pictures were (re-?)uploaded, but the guide should be good enough anyways.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

You cannot convert al_body.prs to a .pak file sadly. It only has some textures but those do not include hero textures and baby textures.
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Post by Pratzelwurm »

Darn... Well, hopefully a way to successfully rip the images will surface. Mostly I'm just interested in sampling the pure colours while they are not being affected by the shaders.
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool: