Model editing?

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tetraspore
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Model editing?

Post by Tetraspore »

Hello, is model editing possible? I'd like to whip up some high poly Chao models.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Model editing?

Post by chaoadventures »

Yes and no.

SA2's model editing is extremely undeveloped, mostly because the format for what I believe is the overwhelming majority of the models (if not all) has not been fully figured out.

SA1's (or as far as I'm concerned SADX PC 2004) model editing however, is very developed in comparison.
That said I can't give the specifics on the limits of said editing.

And I haven't seen a high poly Sonic model or something like that for any version of SA1 after all this time yet so...

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Tetraspore
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Tetraspore »

chaoadventures wrote:Yes and no.

SA2's model editing is extremely undeveloped, mostly because the format for what I believe is the overwhelming majority of the models (if not all) has not been fully figured out.

SA1's (or as far as I'm concerned SADX PC 2004) model editing however, is very developed in comparison.
That said I can't give the specifics on the limits of said editing.

And I haven't seen a high poly Sonic model or something like that for any version of SA1 after all this time yet so...
I see. Are high quality textures possible outside of Chao? I see HD texture packs exist for Chao, but I'd like to do some for stages and characters as well.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Yes. That said, I tried making an HD Sonic one time for SA2 and I didn't notice much, despite their size. Stages might do better though.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Tetraspore
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Tetraspore »

chaoadventures wrote:Yes. That said, I tried making an HD Sonic one time for SA2 and I didn't notice much, despite their size. Stages might do better though.
Yeah, since the characters are mostly block colors, the things that would make the most difference are things like shoes and clothing as well as stage textures.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

In regards to SADX, most of whose hacking is for the 04 version, it's my understanding that while the SA1 model format is understood, Character models are stored in a .dll for which extraction/replacement of contents is less well developed, making even swapping in DC models difficult. Most other models are stored in more easily access places in SADX04, and the biggest reason, best I can tell, for why there hasn't been a complete model port from the DC version is that the models have to be extracted from disorganized bin files on the DC side. That said, there is a mod currently in development with regular updates for making the PC version look more like the DC version, some of which goes beyond model and texture editing(if I'm reading the discussion right, quite a bit of progress has been made lately in understanding the DC version's lighting system, which is implied to be far better than the GC/PC versions. The mod is called Sonic Adventure DX 99 Edition. Apparently, SA1 took quite a dip in graphical quality between the GC and original PC porting.