How do the hero chao textures work?

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Justin113D
Chao Artist
Chao Artist

How do the hero chao textures work?

Post by Justin113D »

the things i know so far:
- the hero chao's final textures are layered
- they use multiple layers
- the base texture is light blue and yellow all the time (of which the light blue is always white, but the yellow gets mixed into different color)

does anyone know where to find the layers? or how do they even work?

example of how the textures change:
Image the wings
Image the body
Image the belly

these textures are being changed to these:
Image hero/swim/swim
Image hero/swim/fly
Image hero/swim/run

as you can see, the textures look all different, even the yellow gets seperated in different layers... Am i missing some textures? can somebody help me? it would be very great, since i am making a chao viewer, and knowing how this works would make things easier
Exant
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Re: How do the hero chao textures work?

Post by Exant »

It works with pallettes. Those textures look blue and yellow because you loaded them with the al_child02 pallete (i believe that's how it's called). if you load it with the respective hero evolution pallette it will look correct
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Post by azureprism »

Exant wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:40 am It works with pallettes. Those textures look blue and yellow because you loaded them with the al_child02 pallete (i believe that's how it's called). if you load it with the respective hero evolution pallette it will look correct
Yeah, the games contain a whole bunch of .PVRs that correspond to evolutions. A couple of them are for child Chao, but most of them are for the various Hero evolutions, first and second. All three Chaos Chao along with the Neutral and Dark adults all have their own texture files with the colours manually tweaked by the games instead of what the Hero Chao's .PVR-dependant textures do. One thing remains constant, though - the white in the textures acts transparent. You can see this if you look at some of the monotone normals or twotone whites and compare them to the twotone normals.
Justin113D
Chao Artist
Chao Artist

Post by Justin113D »

pvr? i only have .gvr o.o
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Post by azureprism »

Crap, I meant .PVP. Sorry, .PVR and .GVR are the texture files, one Adventure game uses one while one uses another; while .PVPs are the palette files for those .PVRs and .GVRs.
Justin113D
Chao Artist
Chao Artist

Post by Justin113D »

hm, dont have .PVP either, but i have a lot of .GVP files coresponding to the chao evolution names (al_child02.GVP, al_dc.GVP, al_hc.GVP, and so on), i jus need to know how to combine these files (i didnt extract them myselfs, a friend got them for me)