Bright Butterfly Mending Shadows (Chapter 2 uploaded)

Post your text based stories or read other user's pieces of fiction here!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Marine_Chaos_Chao
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: That's just Grand-acious!

Bright Butterfly Mending Shadows (Chapter 2 uploaded)

Post by Marine_Chaos_Chao »

Hey everyone. I wanted to get this idea for a story off my chest. I would appreciate constructive criticizing while I work on this.

---
Chapter 1: Saving
Limping along through the dark forest, a hedgehog, all worn down, had simply wanted to give in to dying. He's been running, hiding, and hurting for over six and a half years. He may have found people who only helped him a little while, and perfect hiding places to give him time to recover, but it never helped him with his thought of the inevitable. This thought is what keeps him running. That, and the noises that surrounded his very being.
Around were sound of hungry, dangerous creatures and rustling leaves. Without a good view of the night, he hurried on faster with fear. He wish now he still could mend with the darkness, and leave to where he knew of. He wish that he had at least had something more offensive than his crystal fur. No matter what, though, these gifts he had since he was born were stolen, leaving him to fend for himself.
A light was at the end of the forest. It was dim, but it was hope. The hedgehog push through his limits, and ran as best he could. The light grew darker and closer with every second. He was fortunate to make it to the outside of the forest. He could see the sun hiding behind the horizon, leaving and reddish-orange color behind. The rest of the sky was a black void, penetrated by white lights. The clouds were noticeable and spiraling in a transparent formation.
The hedgehog only had a moment to enjoy this beauty above him. His head felt like it was spinning over and over, and his whole body ready to collapse. Even though he tried to reason himself that staying so near to the entrance to the forest was dangerous, he couldn't help but lie down and enter into sleep.

A yellow pegasus carefully creaked the door open and slowly closed behind her. Mice, birds, bunnies, and basically friendly animals surrounded her, greeting her return. "Hello, everyone," She said in a calm, sweet tone. "I hope you're all doing well. I brought you some more of your favorite food~." The animals all made noises of excitement, and hurried to each of there feeding bowl. The pegasus set a proper amount into each bowl carefully. Seeing them all so calm made her sigh in relief.
A tug at her tail had her turn around to see a white bunny. He looked impatient as it stomped its foot. She smiled, saying, "Don't worry, Angel. I didn't forget you." She brought out a set of carrots on a plate to Angel. His face turn to pleasure, as he dug right into his favorite meal.
She walked on out to the back with a bag of chicken feed. But just as she's about to enter the coop, she took notice at the entrance to what is called the Everfree Forest. A black hedgehog with blue stripes was unconscious. This cause the pony to scream in horror, drop the bag, and fly quickly to his side. She nudge him, hoping for a response, but nothing. She then pushed him on his back to take a closer look.
From all the things she could've notice, his muzzle was first. There wasn't a mouth where it should be. She nearly backed off from this sight, but she force herself to stay. She then notice blood above his right eye, on his left hand, his stomache, and his right knee. A few quills were either gone or bent, and his nose was a dark red. He looked as if he was still awake, but unfocused. An out of nowhere sniffle began for a few seconds, and a bit of tears were coming down.
She felt pity for his state of being. Without hesitation, she wrapped her front legs below his arms, and carefully flew him into her tree cottage. The animals looked at the hedgehog oddly as she brought him through the door, and up the stairs. The only one among them who was brave enough the investigate was Angel, who hopped behind her. She set the hedgehog onto her bed, and hurried down for a First-aid kit.
Coming back up, she got started on wrapping him up. She got out a gauze and wrapped around his stomache first. She then got out a smaller wrapping and secured his arm. Finally, bandages were placed above his eye and on his knee.
Now was a good time to inspect him more. His eyes looked like a cat's green eyes, but it carried more of a tired, cold sight. She tired to wave a hook in front of his eye, yet he still acted like he was asleep. Maybe he's in a trance, She thought to herself. Or he doesn't need to close his eyes to sleep.
Next was his mouth. She place a hoof to see if a cave in will conclude that he has a mouth. It instead felt like meat was everywhere in there. This scared her with the ideas that kept popping into her head. Cursed by Poison Joke, birth defective, illness she may have never heard of, or meeting with a unicorn or alicorn, and having a spell she remember Trixie doing to her friend, Pinkie Pie (who lost her snout). I hope he can still talk, breathe, and eat.
Lastly was the rest of his body. He was quite boney and fragile looking for a regular hedgehog. His legs, on the other hand, were completely swollen and red under the quills. She could guess that standing will be painful, or even a inability. She wondered what could have caused all his injuries. Manticores? Maybe a stray Changling or two? He might have even angered a dragon. The last one made her tense up. Now she's hoping it was a Changling.
Before leaving him and back to her original business, she took off his gloves and shoes, inspected them, put him under the covers, and flutter on down the stairs. Angel had stayed the whole time until she left, and now was hopping down with her. He tried to get her attention for questions he wanted from her, but she was distracted by her own, with theories and ideas coming up. She'll have to get those answer in the morning. For now, finishing her feeding to the pets was first.

The hedgehog, in his mind, could only go back to memories of his life almost seven years ago. Repeating the moments that not only made him look like a threat, but also made him feel useless in the end. He remember feeling invincible against whatever anyone could have thrown at him, no matter how powerful. But In a sudden change of events, three golden hedgehogs came to all events, and put him in his place. His other half, the only one he felt he could trust then, took a lot of the hits instead of him.
This doesn't mean he left unscathed. He lost all his ability except two. He slightly kept his ability to see into the future, but he couldn't use it when he wanted to, and he sometimes couldn't tell which one was a dream or a warning. He also could still become a twisted, crystal form of his persecutor, Shadow the Hedgehog. He swears that this form could scare children if he went to one.
Shadow had found his weak form, and called out to him angrily. "Mephiles!" The hedgehog, whose name was Mephiles, looked to the side and was prepared to send out a distraction. But nothing happened. Trying effortlessly, he never notice Shadow running towards him. He punched him in the face, leaving his nose-less, mouth-less muzzle bruised and slightly bleeding.
Mephiles was stunned for a moment, looking at his blood upon his hand. This shouldn't happen, He thought. I don't have blood...wh-what's this beating in my chest? He knew he didn't even have a heart before he woke up here, or any organs. He was simply a being without a anatomy; A shadow. It only took him a moment to notice that his doppelganger was charging up what he calls Chaos Spear. Dodge in time, and he soon got onto his feet, and ran away.
Shadow stayed close behind, easily catching up, but Mephiles tried to trick him by making a sharp turn. Shadoow skid and quickly tried to intersect his new path. Mephiles stopped and tried to run the other way. He continue to try and get extra moments to come up with a plan. He end up getting into a linear path, walls which he couldn't scale and hedgehog fairly far behind him. He could've said his demise, but a branching path came up soon. He hoped that Shadow would take a different route that he would. To his luck, he did, and he could escape and find a conclusion to what had happen to him. The memory faded away from his mind, as he drifted off into a dark sleep for the rest of the night.

---

That's all. Chapter two will show some interactions between our two main characters, along with a cameo. Also, if you guys want, I would mind cameo OCs ponies you guys have. I'll put them in later chapters.

===

Well, nobody posted, So I'll have to edit this post. Anyways. I'll be working on this every 1-3 days. Having nothing else to say, Enjoy.

---

Chapter 2: Stubborn
As soon a morning came, the pegasus woke up. She instantly got up, and began feeding the animals. Birds first, then bunnies, then squirrels, fish, chicken, hedgehogs, mice, and so on. Angel and Mephiles were last to be fed, because Angel deserves more food, and she didn't know what Mephiles would like.
She got more than an entire tray full of breakfast ready for the injured hedgehog to try. Cat food on one end, and eggs with toast on another. Two glasses fill with orange juice and milk, and a bowl of assorted nuts accompanied, along with a carrot. boiling in a pot was her homemade Soup. She decided if he has a cold, she would give this now. If not, then it'll be his dinner instead.
She flew carefully with the meal as she gave Angel's eggs and carrots. She almost lost the food, but she manage to carry it to Mephiles' temp room. He seem to have not change since last night. She carefully set the tray down on his lap, and started to nudge him awake.
What she wasn't expecting was a tight grip. She squealed lightly from the sudden reflex. The hedgehog's face was now facing her, with a threatening glare at her. It also carried a agonizing look nearly impossible to hide.
"Who are you?" He said, with a deep, broken voice. "And where am I?" The pony's wings became stiff as her hooves touch ground. It was quite out of nowhere for him to talk like that.
She replied, "M-my name i-is Fluttershy...a-and you in m-my cottage." She breathed in and continued. "You were out c-cold in front of the...E-Everfree Forest...and so I...I saved you."
"...You should have left me out there...I certainly didn't need your help." Mephiles let go, and turned away from Fluttershy.
"But...you were bleeding, a-and I didn't want to see you die. I couldn't!"
"I would have rather died. I'm giving up."
"What do you mean?" She flew to the other side to look straight at him. "Who are you, and What are you?" Mephiles face was now slightly surprised at this for some reason.
"Second and third question first," He started "I'm Mephiles the Dark, half of the sun god, Solaris, and a shadow creature,...well, sorta now. And as for the first, I give up escaping my fate! I'll die in the end, so I'll find the end." He turned again, but soon met up with Fluttershy's face once more.
"Don't say that!" She exclaimed timidly. "I know you'll die in the end, but that doesn't mean you should end it early. Don't go hurting yourself."
"I didn't do this to myself. Someone else did. They want me dead, so they'll get their wish." Flutter's face saddened from this bit of info.
"Well then," she said, getting closer to him. "I'll make sure they don't get that cruel wish. Now can you please have something to eat?" Mephy looked down at his legs to see the breakfast she made for him. He couldn't help but stare at some of the food, and start drooling (which look like he's sweating on his muzzle to you people) over it.
He pushed himself up to get a closer look, and started to pick around. The cat food definetly was the first to be inspected. His face became disgusted at the sight as he then placed in back in the bowl. The eggs were given little time of examination before he started scarfing down. Half-way through his first egg, he notice her staring at him in surprise. He swallowed down his meal before saying, "Yes? Is there a problem?"
"Uh, sorry. But how...do you eat and speak without a..."
"I never found out. I simply spoke and ate as if I do have one. It's never bothered me at all." He resumed to eating, but this time slowly and cautious. The pegasus' curiosity made him think twice about letting his guard down. Even though he gave up, he didn't want to suffer the same event again.

What was left after breakfast were crumbs, cat food never even touched, a bitten carrot, and a half-drank OJ. Mephiles' stomach was never so satisfied before. The whole time, Fluttershy simply watched, learning about him. She took the tray away and went downstairs, leaving him all alone. He then tried to stand up, but a sudden unbearable pain went across his legs. He fell onto the floor, unable to get back up.
While downstairs, Fluttershy was simply making a hay sandwich for herself to just fill up her own hunger. As she ate her breakfast, a knock at the door came. She swallowed, and hurried to the door, opening carefully. "Yes?" Outside was a teal pegasus with a rainbow mane. "Oh, hi Rainbow Dash. What is it?"
"Hey Fluttershy," RD said. "I need you to watch over Tank for me today. I'm needing to go to the Wonderbolts Acadamy this week." She brought out a tortoise with a propeller on his back and goggles.
"I would lo-Oh!" She realized that if Mephiles meets with Tank, things could get bad fast for both. Plus, she needs to watch both of them, since one injured and the other causes trouble on accident. "I'm sorry, but I have someone who I need to take care of. He's really injured and-oh. I hope you can forgive me."
"Hm? Who is it? Philamina?" She waled in, looking around.
"No. It's not a-"
"Then is it Gummy?"
"Well no. He's-"
"It better not be that cat that dark unicorn looks after. That cat's devious."
"No. But-"
"Then who?"
"His name's Mephiles, and he's upstairs in my-" She suddenly was interrupted by a rainbow streak going up the stairs. RD instantly went face to face with the hedgehog with a curious look. Mephiles was surprised and flew backwards, thinking Sonic just found him. She then started laughing at him.
"Oh...Oh my...your face...It's priceless!" Mephiles didn't know about his slightly red nose or his shocked expression. He looked away, hoping she'd stop, and she did. "I'm...I'm sorry. So you're Mephiles? I'm Rainbow Dash. The fastest flier in all of Equestria!"
"Equestria? But-"
"Say, why are you on the floor?"
"Hey! You didn't e-"
"And where's your mouth?"
"Let me ju-"
"Fluttershy. Do you think he touch Poiso-"
"SHUT UP!" He yelled to get her attention. "Get out!" His threatening face was accompanied with a faint glow around his eyes.
RD simply looked back with a disappointed face, saying, "Oh fine. I just wanted to know you." She trotted on down to Fluttershy, who was halfway up the stairs, and told her that Mephiles wasn't so open to conversation. She left with Tank in hand, leaving an silence from everything in the cottage.
Fluttershy decided to go check on Mephiles, and was surprised to see him on the ground. "Oh my! Are you okay?"
"Yes...I just...tried to stand up..."
"Don't do that on your own. You're legs are completely swollen and sore. They won't move until it's better."
"How long?
"I'm guessing a week."
"A WEEK!?"
"Yeah. I-I know you probably will resent it, but please just accept me taking care of you. It won't be that long, I promise. And I'm taking care of animals, so I...um..." Mephiles simply glared before groaning, then nodding. Fluttershy slightly smiled warmly, then helped him back into bed. She then went downstairs to finish her breakfast, and then getting the kit again. She went back up to look at his injuries, and replace the old bandages with new ones. He may have tried to protest against it, but she put up a good fight. The two didn't speak to each other the rest of the day until nightfall.
Fluttershy had placed on the tray the soup she made earlier. "Go on," she said, still quiet and tense. He hesitated on grabbing the spoon, but knew that she'll just pester on for him to eat. He took a spoonful down his throat, and he felt a warm, pleasing feeling come up. Another spoonful, and he couldn't help but take the whole bowl, and started drinking from there instead. Some of it dribbled off onto his chestful and the quilt, but he didn't care. The soup was the best thing he's had since his first meal at that family's house.
Fluttershy tried to push the soup down, and carefully warn him about spacing in between each gulp. He looked like he didn't care, yet try to heed her words. The soup was done quickly, and she left him back up there for a bit. Mephiles now took the opportunity to think things out more clearly.
Why did I say that to her at first? He began to ponder. I certainly didn't want to be here in the first place, but do I really want to just die? He then brought up an hand to his head, rubbing it. This pain is unbearable, and no one seems to even give me a chance, now that they know my name...but she's different...or maybe playing innocent with me. Then again, me dying if front of that... Everlasting Woods or something would just finish off me once and for all...
Fluttershy came back to simply blow out the candle and to tell Mephiles goodnight, yet he responded, "But I can't even sleep with this pain. How do you expect me to sleep?"
"Hm..." she thought a little, and came with a solution. "How about I sing you a lullaby?" His face looked as if he thought it was ridiculous, but she assured him that it would work. "Hush now, quiet now; It's time to lay your sleepy head~. Hush now, quiet now; It's time to go to bed~..." Mephiles simply decided to pay attention, as there was no way he could think with her singing. "Drifting off to sleep, leave your tired days behind you~. Drifting off to sleep, let the comfrot of dreams find you~..." Now he was starting to yawn silently. She now hummed the melody, causing his mind to relax. Repeating the second verse, he was slowly drifting. He layed his head on the pillow carefully, and listening to song's hypnotic melody drifting him to sleep.
She finished the last verse to notice him completely sound. She smiled and said in a different tone, "Goodnight, Mephiles the Dark." She went downstairs, to see an impatient Angel on the couch. "What is it, Angel?" she said, curious.
He simply did a charade to explain his thoughts on Mephiles, which is, "I don't like him. Something about him feels like Discord or Nightmare Moon."
"Oh, don't be silly, Angel," She said, oblivious. "He's not dangerous. And if he is, remember that I reform Discord when no one else tried. I pretty sure bu the end of the week, Mephiles will be just the same of being a good guy...or at least more open." She yawned, then rested on one side of the bed, while Angel rested on her side, with a worried face. How things will go tomorrow, they won't know yet.

---

Out in the Everfree Forest, Shadow is fighting Timberwolves as best he could. They easily reformed back, and sometimes together, making this a tough challenge. He couldn't take another round of them, and he got so angry, that a blast of Chaos Energy set them all on fire. Anything left of them were now ashes.
"Now that that's done," He said, as if nothing had happen. "I now need to find Mephiles. He certainly must have cause some havoc." He then dash through the forest, easily getting lost, and ending up on the same path more than once. He sometimes didn't even know until he was near a landmark, like a pond or blue flowers. He practically was in a neverending maze.
Two hours later, his legs felt a sudden warmth. In a flash, he fell down with now black octopus leggings. He didn't understand what had just happen, and simply started to try and get up, only to fall down from the slimy skin. Now he knows that he's never gonna find Mephiles at this point. How will he with eight slimy legs now?

---

And that's how I'll end it for now. The reason why he has octopus legs is because of Poison Joke, and because of Black Doom.
'Allo Everyone! I'm Maci-Lena, and I've finally came back...you probably don't care, do you?
I'm a Mephiles fan, and recently an Eclipse fan.
I may decide to do commisions in the future, but for now, CI will be a place to be silly on.