Project beta

Post your text based stories or read other user's pieces of fiction here!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
thatguyinthecorner
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: Team Harvard Assemble!

Project beta

Post by thatguyinthecorner »

My writing friend is still lazy. This is my response: a scene for each important character (and believe me there are a lot) followed by trivia.

Chapter One: Noctis the Twenty Second: Darkness

The eternal night hung over Nosfarata, a land named for its darkness, just like any other "day". Amid the thin forest that survived there in total disregard to logic, a great castle loomed over the surrounding trees, it's stone who there'd and chipped by centuries of misuse and neglect. It carried the air of a great, majestic beast well past it's prime and slowly being consumed by age and hunger. This castle was known far and wide as a bastion of evil.

But really, it was more a bastion of arthritis. Within this castle's walls lived the royal family of this nation, cursed to have arthritis-stricken hands from birth. In older times, this was countered by chopping off their hands at birth, and from that tradition rose soccer. But over time it occurred to someone that, as logical as it might seem, lobbing off two of an infant's limb's endings was...barbaric. And over time, as more assassins started realizing how effective a hiding place this forest was, more poured in. This is the story of one such man.

The night, cold and damp as usual, had no effect. This man had a mission. He was going to retrieve "the prince's carrot", a term used for the orange ponytail. It was a highly valued treasure not only for represent the death of the prince but also for being orange hair; that crap sold at a premium. Somehow. Just like he'd somehow avoided encountering any resistance. He meandered about the castle with seemingly no purpose, almost like he was lost. Arriving, eventually, at a black door, he took a deep breath. Steeling himself and meditating, he opened the door. A small boy was on a bed. The man drew his sword, swinging...and it was buried in the frame. The boy, having rolled off onto the floor, rolled underneath the bed. The man pulled out his weapon, only to feel a sudden, warm burst of pain erupt outward from his chest. Looking down he saw the reason: a Blaine embedded in his sternum. Stumbling back, he dropped dead.

I lied. This is not his story. The boy looked down at him not in fear, or a startled manner, or anger. His expression was one of boredom, as though he had seen it coming and was expecting more. He reached down, casually dislodging his weapon from the corpse of his attacker, flinging slightly at the process of picking it up. Sitting on his bed, which collapsed instantly, he began using the sheet to clean the glaive.
"Damn dog, letting that happen...!"
Spoiler:
-Only two characters in Project: a BbQ based on RP characters I didn't originally make. Noctis is one. The other is Shizun,

-Noctis was one of the first characters implemented.

-Noctis is based on a Zorua named Mezzanotte. Their names are derived from the Latin and French (I think) words for midnight.

-I wrote this while watching Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

-Noctis having orange hair was my friend's idea, not mine.
"A girl walks up to you and starts dancing and you walk away? What are you, gay, drunk, high...?"

"~~~AA-SEXUAL~~!"

^and that was the greatest exchange of my year.
thatguyinthecorner
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: Team Harvard Assemble!

Re: Project beta

Post by thatguyinthecorner »

Chapter Two: Aru: Innocent

The castle of Nosfarata was unusually loud with the noises of dozens, eating, drinking, and being merry. The reason was rather simple: it was a celebration. Three years and several days ago the royal family had produced a child. Seeing as how most early deaths would have occurred already her birth's celebration had basically ceased to be a jinx. Naturally, much drinking ensued. It was all they really had. The king, however, was not amused. Sitting around gloomily waiting for an hour when all the noise and people would just get the hell out of his damn house. As usual he wore a large cloaky, jackety...thing and refused to remove his hands from the pockets. His wife, however, was a totally different story. Her long blond hair, which would look a radiant gold if the sun weren't absent (the three+ foot thick stone walls helped), swayed merrily as she darted about, sharing in many assorted conversations. She wasn't always welcome, putting it mildly, because she foreign. Ignoring this she continued to spark many conversations. A rustle drew the king's eyes from his wife.
"I hope you don't mind if I have some wine. It isn't Sigarthan, of course, so it won't get me drunk any time soon."

The captain of his guard, Gary. One of the few Mage knights left in the country after...something. He forgot what. The man was wearing a dull purple coat that hung to his ankles. It looked impractical and for normal combat it was. But cloth held magic far better than armor so it had saved him from many tight scrapes. His thin, almost feline form leaned back a little bit, blue hair hanging over one of his red eyes.
"Is that...Cain over in the corner?"

Bruteas, the king, turned his head. A hollow shell of a man sat far on the other side of the room, against the wall and practically in the fetal position, staring at a goblet of wine. His hands and eyes shook. Gary sighed.

"It's sad, really. I feel guilty about using what-"
"His comerades died. No input of ours could change that. Better to use their loss than squander it."
Gary squinted angrily. The king's methodical, Machevelian approach to life had lead the two to many debates.
"Even so...!"

Meanwhile, the queen stopped at the table of an aristocratic group.
"Having a good time?"
One of them got up, pulling out a rapier and twirling it.

"Foreign scum, you ought be assassinated already."
She laughed, batting away the tip.
"Oh, you're such a jokester~"
"You *****!"
"Hu-ursgh!"
Before she could finish she was silenced by the warm, thick surge of blood up her throat. Choking as clutched at the crimson flower blossoming across her chest from the wound, she collapsed. Choking, she looses a clump of rich, dark liquid onto the floor. Her body convulsed as she struggled to breathe.

"...DAMNIT!!"
Gary leapt across the room, plunging his sword into the murder's sternum repeatedly. He dropped dead as well, leaving Gary to turn to his employer with a grim visage.
"...sir, that happened and we let it happen."
Neither noticed the clumsy steps or horrified face of the young, blond-haired girl that had wandered over looking for her mother and bolted. Neither noticed that she, who'd been innocent, grimaced or snarled whenever she saw a boar. For her mother's killer wore his family's symbol like everyone else, or that his was a boar. And like the woman he'd murdered, that girl was innocent. She'd lost her mother for no reason. And she wouldn't forget it.

Ten years later, the girl was waiting for the nightfall. Normally it was for the sake of getting to see Crowe, a thief she was starting to develop feelings for, but he'd have to take his own bread today. She drew her sword, custom made (like all of the few swords Nosfarata got through means other than captured enemies) and with her name, Aru, engraved on the hilt. It was a modified longsword made of mithril, a material so conveniently rare she was unlikely to ever see another piece of equipment made from it. It...wasn't particularly magical, just lighter than steel, a tad bit less breaky, and much rarer. She set out on her mighty quest for epic vengeance.
She was innocent...
Aru gripped her sword until her knuckles turned white.
I'll make them pay
Her entire body shook with a bizarre mix of hatred and excitement.
They'll pay for what they did...!
She was practically snarling.
My mother was innocent!
She ran like that for a long time, getting angrier and angrier.
Innocent...!
She searched, hoping to find where in the palace that family was housed.
My mother was innocent!
Her father once told her that everybody had or would commit some evil eventually. Her mother was the exception to that rule. These...murderers would die for their action! They deserved death, all of them!

She found a house with a familiar looking boar over the entrance and smiled slyly, her hands shaking in a morbid state of excitement. A macabre smile broke her previously empty face as she contemplated her course of action. There was the legal system to consider and since the actual killer was dead this was technically a crime. How fortunate it was, then, they lived so close to a fake evidence shop?

Normally she considered those who used such establishments scum. This was an exception, though.

And so with questionable resolve she knocked, her sword at the ready. A young boy answered the door. Her face unchanging, she swung. His became shock and he collapsed in a broth of assorted fluid. One down. She stepped over the body and looked around. Two children, a man about twenty, and a woman. A shriek.

It was full of agony and terror. Her expression instantly sunk to horror. She'd just...

Another shriek. This one was of anger. The man had a knife. Instinct took over. She spun in place, dodging and digging the side of her blade into his wrist. Flesh peeled off of bone with a distinct, wet noise, and blood erupted from the point with gusto. She stabbed him in the back, killing him. His body fell to the floor, his pale form no less colorful, except the scarlet areas around his wounds. Again on instinct she leapt, slashing open the woman's throat, leaving her to gasp in futility for air as a red liquid erupted continuously from her neck. Aru's eyes widened in shock, her entire body shaking. She looked at the children emptily, her sword reluctantly raising to a position proceeding use. There were two more swings, two more warm, visceral deaths and many savage, tearful screams of agony before it ended.
They were innocent...
There was a lake nearby. She needed to swim, wash the blood off and hopefully clear the putrid stains from her sword, and maybe clear her head. Shaky, unsteady legs hobbled their way outside in a quasi-drunk fashion, her old resolve having been entirely devoured.
They were innocent...
Her pupils were practically gone.
Just like Mom...they were innocent...
She collapsed, looking at her hands, blood still caked on and seeping into her gloves. She shook, sobbing quietly.

I killed four innocents today...!
She pounded a leg, tears rolling down her face. She heard footsteps and looked up.
Spoiler:
-Not portrayed is that Aru's one of the few characters who gets over their emotional baggage before the story proper.

-Two other main characters are mentioned in this chapter, three if you count the source of the footsteps.

-Cain is Mane before he got the nickname

-The noble's pre-stabbing line is an inside joke (at least, it started one)

-Aru's name is short for "Aurum", which means gold. She has gold-like blond hair, unlike most of her people who have pale white or grey hair.

-Aru was originally going to last one chapter an then die. The other writer did not he approve.

-Aru's death is one of the few things he's made me tone down

-Aru is 1/(2.8544954*10^45) elf

-Aru gave Noctis his cat...which I neglected to mention last chapter. *le fail*

-This chapter might have been influenced by my watching Mirai Nikki a few days back. Maybe.

-The thief mentioned halfway through and the manager of the evidence store are the only important Frateins (from Nosfarata) not from a prestigious family or working directly for royalty.
"A girl walks up to you and starts dancing and you walk away? What are you, gay, drunk, high...?"

"~~~AA-SEXUAL~~!"

^and that was the greatest exchange of my year.