ChatBox FAQ

Use this area to post if you need something to do with the forum. Stuff regarding forum discussion will also be here.
Warning! This topic is 12 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Coty
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

ChatBox FAQ

Post by Coty »

Hello everyone!

I have decided to put together a small FAQ on the ChatBox as it seems to have allot of people seem to have problems with it. So here I have devised a kind of 'guide'. Please note that I have not included mobile devices here yet except for a quick fly over and I will be adding to this as questions and problems arise.

A note to grammar Nazi's, If you wish to correct my grammar you may do so at your own free will, but do not worry about it as its not like I am paying you. :wink:

Q: The chatbox is not loading properly or will not run at all.

Well there are a many number of fixes for this one. Please make sure that you have javascript enabled on your browser. If you do not know how to check if javascript is enabled then visit one of the sites.

Enabling Javascript on IE 7+: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx
Enabling Javascript on Firefox: http://support.mozilla.com/fa/kb/Javascript
Enabling Javascript on Google Chrome:
Spoiler:
I could not find a good web site, so I decided to explain in this spoiler!

Click the wrench icon under the close button and select Preferences. Next click the tab called "under the hood".

Now, Click "Content settings", a new window should pop up. On the list on the left click "JavaScript".

Now Click Allow then close, try opening the chat again.
Enabling Javascript on Opera: http://www.opera.com/docs/browserjs/
Enabling JavaScript on Safari: http://www.webcoz.com/how-to-enable-jav ... -mac-os-x/

Now with it enabled MAKE SURE YOU RE-START YOUR BROWSER or else in may not work correctly, most of the time it will, but its always something you want to try just in-case your changes do not take effect imidetly.

If this does not work it may be a good idea to clear browser history and cookies! This is a very simple task and sometimes it works...

Clearing cookies and history on IE 6+: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835
Clearing cookies and history on FireFox: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/deleting%20cookies
Clearing cookies and history on Google Chrome: http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bi ... swer=95582
Clearing cookies on Opera: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/ ... y/cookies/
Clearing cookies on Safari 4+: http://browsers.about.com/od/safar1/ht/ ... -4-osx.htm

Note: Clearing cookies will log you out of any and all sites that your logged into since it's basically browser cache for storing login information!

Of course this may/may not work, it may be a good idea to re-install a newer version of your browser, or to find an alternate browser. Such as FireFox, Google Chrome and Opera. You can also get a latter version of Internet Explorer for free from MicroSoft. At this time the latest stable release is IE 8. You can get a copy here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/intern ... fault.aspx

Q. How do I use the chatbox?

For those of you who do not know how to look around mooncow has posted how to use the chatbox HERE.
  • How can I make Italic text?
    As described in mooncow's chat box topic you can use the "/me " command. Typing "/me Is awesome!" would display "Coty is awesome!" with Italics.
  • How do I whisper or send a private message to a user?
    Also described in mooncow's topic you can whisper to another user, that is, send a message to a user without anyone else being able to read it, you can use the "/msg <username>" command. If you type "/msg Coty Hi, how are you?", you will have sent me a message saying "Hi, how are you?" without anyone else being able to read it.
  • I see some people that say "[away]" how do I do this?
    As described in mooncow's topic, you to can go "away" when you wish to do something and plan to Be Right Back. This is done by typing "/away" and pressing <enter>. To come back simply submit any message such as "Back!".
More chat box commands and features will be found on mooncow's chatbox topc!

Q. :cry: I GOT BANNED WHY???? :cry:

Because you could not follow the rules posted here! For your own sake, don't beg and clame your sorry, its pathetic and somewhat annoying, and guess what??? It don't get you into the chatbox any sooner! If mods over looked the rules for you then you would have people thinking that it is not fair... and that would be... chaos...

You might also have a clame that you were experiencing lag and causing the chat to you out. In this case you could always PM a mod and talk to them about it, but in times of lag it is really anoying to other members and it would be best for you just to leave and come back latter. Whether you consider it fair or not, is it really fair to annoy everyone else in the chat? But if you are having problems with lag refer to "I keep getting logged out of chat, why?"

Q. I keep getting logged out of chat, why?

There are actually allot of res-eons for this! As well as a few ways to fix it.

Lets explain a little about how the chat logs people out when they do not press the [Logout] button. When you press the [X] on the chat window your browser will close connection with the server, every few moments the server and the browser will ping each other (send some small data back and forth). If the server does not receive any information from your computer then it will log you out. This is required so it does not show you online when you are not. Of course this wouldn't be needed if everyone always pressed the [logout] button, but nobody is perfect.

If you have bad internet connection then this is likely to happen, you may want to check your ping here... A good amount of ping would be ~140 or less (The less the better!) If you have high ping it would be best to contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ask them about it.

Sometimes you may simply have a buggy browser, this is an easy fix, you can try to update your browser, or just install a new one, there are many good free browsers that you can try such as. FireFox, Google Chrome and Opera.

If you have slow network connection it would be best not download files and chat at the same time as this could cause the chatbox to time you out. (eg: dial up users)

Also note that all lag cannot be fixed by you, sometimes lag can be created on the server side if the site is under stress.

:surprise: A quick fly over on mobile devices.
There have been multiple reports that the chatbox does not work at all or correctly on some mobile devices such as the sony PSP, Amazon kindle, and Droid (by google).

Much of this is because of lack of JavaScript support, please check google for enabling javascript on your device, it is good to note that not all mobile cell phones suport javaScript but many smart phones are capable of support by default, by update, or by another optional browser. I cannot help directly unless I own the mobile deice, so like I said it would be best check Google.

A note on 3G and 4G coverage!: ("Invalid IP" Error) If you have 3G or 4G network, the chatbox may give you an "Invalid IP" Error, I don't know why, it just does! If you need to talk on the chatbox, and you have issues, please try to connect over Wifi.

. end proc FAQ
End of Frequently Asked Questions... :blink:
Last edited by Coty on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.
TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN! ☕︎
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Re: ChatBox FAQ

Post by retrolinkx »

Hmm, Good Job, Coty. An FAQ for the Chatbox would be useful. But what about questions like.

How do I get my writing sideways or what does "Chatbox Action" do?
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Coty
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Coty »

Done! Originaly I thought linking to mooncows chatbox topic would be enough, but I have decided to add the following:
  • How can I make Italic text?
  • How do I whisper or send a private message to a user?
  • I see some people that say "[away]" how do I do this?
To the topic as well as linking to mooncows chatbox topic thoughout the that section of the FAQ.
Speeps
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Post by Speeps »

This seems like a good way for chatbox users to have their questions answered.
Stickied.
SuperBuza
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by SuperBuza »

Very helpful for new people. :herosurprise:
I am an expert at Chao but I've forgotten so much because I havent played Sonic Adventure 2 Battle in a long time. My best chao is Chaos which of now has Lvl.62 of power,run,swim,stamina,and all that. My 2nd favorite chao is Sprite which is a green chao with bunny animal parts. :cool:
superchao
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by superchao »

hehe you forgot safari
Coty
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Coty »

Of course, most of the time people just install firefox or google chrome, even on macs. Quite easy to forget about it when no one uses it.

I'll add information on it latter after I figure it how to use it.
Enzo03
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: Resident forum dinosaur.

Post by Enzo03 »

The solution is to simply not use Mac.
Steam: crazyenzo03 - Discord: Enzo03 #2547
Drouge
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Drouge »

No, you can use Mac.
Just don't use Safari.
It's the mac equivalent of IE and should only be used to download Firefox.
Coty
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Coty »

No! IE is faster at rendering webpages! It isn't as bad on iOS though, but Opera mini is still better...

Actually enzo, OSX isn't to bad, I have come to like it, it's kinda like using linux, but has more libraries for games, is better with games, and is a tad more user friendly, even though linux has more tools, is more hacker freindly and is completely free.

:surprise: Anyway! I added links to enabling Javascript and clearing cookies on Safari 4+