Additions to the Main Site

Have you spotted a mistake, error, or just want to improve Chao Island? Post it here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Additions to the Main Site

Post by Mamkute »

Some changes are being planned for the main site. The list of changes, however, is not fully complete, so I will be asking you all, what you think the main site needs in regards to chao, what it is missing/is still unlinked to, and what may be incorrect.
I have been compiling such a list, however, it is likely missing some things. Still, here is mine so far, and I will put on anything suggested that seems necessary, as well. This will potentially include any sorts of lists or compilations of data that any other users have made that would be well suited for the main site. (Sorry, I missed some contributions, listing them only as "another user." Sorry to those users.)
Spoiler:
• Gallery:
Link to specifying the 82 known chao is broken. A page explaining that would be in good need.
For including MTN chao, separating Normal in the "tone" category would likely be for the best, to specify that Normal is a color.

• TCG:
• Egg probabilities (A list was provided in a SA2B/Sonic Advance guide I have, and their values seem accurate)
• Chao Running Away, information compiled by Crazo
• How the food effects the Hunger and Mood stats

• DreamCast Games:

Game Cube Games:
Correct the Stats for when Walking is learned, etc. (currently listing DC stats)
• Specifics on Luck and Intelligence Stats (grades for them)
• Specifics on Mating chao, with specific numbers on the "wanting-to-get-funky" stat, and when a chao will reciprocate another chao's mating. This is hinted at in the Fruits, when the Heart Fruit sends the stat to over 9,000 (10,000.)
• Specifying Angry Evil Frown is impossible to get.
• MTN Chao images, potentially being included in the Special Breeds section
• I believe the concept of Egg Groups, not being able to get three colored eggs in any one file, needs a bit more testing before it can be put onto the site, but it should be addressed.
• Although of lower priority, I know we get a whole lot of requests for Shiny Chao pictures. A user began a project of obtaining some, but he has not finished it.
• Baby Two-tone pictures
• Descriptions of Mixed-Stat Second Evolution Chao
Something is off in the distance of the Neutral/Swim/Fly+Power Image

SA2B:
Pictures for Chao Garden, and Hero Garden
• I would think Hero and Dark Races could warrant at least a brief description in how the normal race world has changed to become like the Dark or Hero Gardens respectively.
• JmT's list in Chao Contributions should cover most Changes in SA2B HD, along with Chaotastic's pictures of Two-tone Shinies (already planned by Mooncow)
• An Animal Parts list like that in SADX would be helpful. I made a preliminary list on animal parts provided, however it may need refining, and a user has taken pictures of an adult chao with all parts of any given animal.
A user gave a detailed list about the Kindergarten classes going in a cycle, which would be a good inclusion.

SADX:
• PC Shiny Jewel Chao, at least more detail on them.
• More of an overall question, Why would Gold Chao appear in the SADX races needing a lower stat total than Silver Chao, yet the Gold Chao are stronger? This could be the case, but seems odd to me.
• Race Maps
SkyGinge
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Re: Additions to the Main Site

Post by SkyGinge »

I'm almost 100% sure about the existence of egg groups and would be happy to try and fish out the research and stuff I did on it a while back. Anyhow, good to see some updates planned!
PM me if you have any piece of writing that you want reviewed, I'll do my best to help you out!

Funky stuff:
Speeps
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Post by Speeps »

These images should be updated with better quality ones (I'll compile the list in the same style as yours to make things easier)

Spoiler:
TCG:

DreamCast Games:
  • SA1/SA2 Garden images are bad quality
  • First evolution image in SA1 is from SA2
  • Chao Evolution images in SA1 are from SADX
  • Silver Chao Egg in the Secret Chao Eggs section in SA1
  • Caring for Chao in SA2 (Nothing wrong with it, but the image isn't from the final game and could cause rumours)
  • Death section image in SA2
  • Expressions in SA2 could do with the white border being removed
  • Actions in SA2
  • The stats section in SA2 has more beta images in it
  • Race Prizes in SA2 (and more beta images)
  • Classroom in SA2 (Although this is the same image as the one used in Actions)
  • Broken image in First Evolution in SA2
Game Cube Games:

SA2B:
  • Caring for Chao in SA2B is the same Beta Dreamcast image from the SA2 section
  • Actions image is from SA2 and bad quality
  • Stats Images in SA2 are from the SA2 Beta (apart from one which is Japanese and also from Sonic Team)
  • Races Prizes Images are the same as from SA2
  • The Karate Image is of the races and not karate
  • Death Image in SA2B is the same bad quality image used in the SA2 section
  • "Possessed Skull Chao" image in recipes, the "Quicker Shadow Chao" image is broken too
  • Character Chao images of the Chao are filled with JPEG artifacts
SADX:
  • Caring for Chao image in SADX is broken
  • Egg Carrier Garden image is from the Dreamcast version of SA1
  • Images in Stats are broken too in SADX
  • Animals have broken images in SADX
  • First evolution image is broken in SADX
  • Death image in SADX is broken
  • "Possessed Skull Chao" image in recipes (Although that Chao is impossible to get in SADX without having SA2B) the "Quicker Shadow Chao" image is broken too
  • Breeding in SADX PS3/360 has broken images
  • Black Market Image in SADX
  • Chao Transporter Images are broken
  • Character Chao images of the Chao are filled with JPEG artifacts
Also, I noticed that the black market page in SA2 is copied from the SA2B section even though it's not in SA2, and the page about Fusion's Chao Editor still mentions it doesn't work with Steam
I'll try and get some replacements for the above list of images, if I do I'll add a link to them over their entry on the list.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

I'll be updating this topic as i make the changes/additions
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

Started work on the list.
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Your Signature speaks a lot about this topic.
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: The War Against Roaches is over...

Post by CasualCollision »

I misread additions as addictions.

It'd be nice to see the Fan-Made Media page get a major overhaul, showing both fan-art and community based art.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Hey everyone (especially people newly knighted as Chao Experts)!

I think this topic is an important place to gather what the website needs, and to improve it to best chao source ever. Whether you have just noticed something off with the main site (a missing link, a typo, something now known to be wrong) or have something you think would be a good addition (I know ChaoGardenBuster has made some Shiny Chao pictures,) ideas of additions are welcome here.

And please, do not get discouraged if your ideas are not immediately employed (even if they are helpful and needed) because this is a large list of changes to be made. I know a big source of pessimism among web site things (especially pictures) is the mentality of "oh no, it will never be added," but really the best thing is to help pool ideas and contributions here (in this topic or making another topic in Chao Island Contributions) and get working as a team. Make chao great again.

I will start with two big things:

The link to "HD Version Differences" is a 404 not found. This seems especially important, because a lot of new users are likely to be coming from the HD versions.
The new information recently compiled about character chao is a strong new addition.
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

We should focus on fixing/adding information on existing pages. Then start adding pages (for example, maybe a page called "Cut Content" documenting unused content for each game and a hacking page for those who are interested in the editing works of the games) and fixing broken pages such as "Bright Chao", "HD Version Differences", and more.
Speeps
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Post by Speeps »

I know a fair bit about how Chao work in the Dreamcast version of SA1, so I can provide info on that if anything's needed.
SwifterTheDragon
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by SwifterTheDragon »

In the Chao Gallery, there are no second evolution options.
I know this will be a LOT of pictures, color, texture, shiny, 1st evolution...
It would still be great if it was added
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

SwifterTheDragon wrote:In the Chao Gallery, there are no second evolution options.
I know this will be a LOT of pictures, color, texture, shiny, 1st evolution...
It would still be great if it was added
Yes we plan to but as of now we aim to get a full gallery of first evolution chao. Then we can start working on second evolution. Like you said, it would be a lot of pictures so we would be better off doing each evolution at a time.
SwifterTheDragon
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by SwifterTheDragon »

Thanks. I just wanted confirmation if this feature would be added one day.
ub3rl337z4ur
Egg
Egg

Post by ub3rl337z4ur »

It should have somewhere that the highest stat you can achieve is 3375 through the use of the tiny chao garden giving a cap of +31.
CanSteam
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: canpaw but with my own email

Post by CanSteam »

Huge bump, but the whole Dreamcast section seems to be an almost straight up copy-paste of the Gamecube section, and it should probably be changed.
is the pikmin in my avatar on something or...
toffyflame
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: SA2 is what I do!

Post by toffyflame »

I would like to work on something for the main site, I'm gonna try my best and re-sprite all of the Smilies that were Ripped for Chao Island posts
(Do you guys think that's a good idea?)
Sonic Adventure 2 is what I do! wish me luck on the road to 180 Emblems :surprise:
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^ We started doing that and never finished. The main task was basically just to spruce up the original smilies by using "this" sprite sheet.

...Feel free to put some effort towards the project though.
CanSteam wrote:Huge bump, but the whole Dreamcast section seems to be an almost straight up copy-paste of the Gamecube section, and it should probably be changed.
Not the whole thing actually. Mostly just the SA2DC section, which might actually be quite close to the others. Might, being the key word.
I've been using the SA1DC section to check several things that are very different in the Dreamcast version.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.