Image cropping

Have you spotted a mistake, error, or just want to improve Chao Island? Post it here!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Image cropping

Post by Tobi »

Has this been suggested before? It probably has been suggested before.

Is there a way that the site can auto-crop images? I found myself going on Iaza and such just to crop images every single time CI claimed they were too big. Half of the time it feels like pictures are bigger than the 800 pixels I resize images to as well.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Coty
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Re: Image cropping

Post by Coty »

Crop or resize?

I don't think you want it to autocrop anything because it'll probably crop the wrong/undesired area... As for auto-resizes it's possible, there are mods for phpbb 3 to enable auto resize of attached (uploaded to the site) images, and then there are mods that use javascript to resize on demand from external sources and offer the allowance of "see full sized image". The second one does not fix the bandwidth problem because you're still going to download the full image before your browser resizes it and the first one is pointless because CI does not let you upload/attach files.
TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN! ☕︎
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

Totally forgot about this, specially now that the site has died down for a while. Still relevant though.

Cropping or resizing is an annoying process, especially when posting a decent range of images. There must be a way that the forum auto-resizes your images as soon as you post them, to at least the limited size images are allowed to have. I think that'd be a great convenience.

I usually upload on iaza (now called ezimba) but the issue with that is that the site only keeps the images up for about 3 months. Resizing manually, then uploading it to tinypic or something similar is even more of a pain.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

An automatic thumbnail function would be great. Basically (and this is done on other forums), a direct image with a size that passes a certain threshold is automatically converted into a thumbnail, with a bar above the thumbnail that reads something like "This image has been resized to x. The original image's size is y. Click the thumbnail to see the original image". It's really handy and resizing becomes less of a problem.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Coty
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Coty »

Here is an easy workaround... It may not be what your looking for but since nothing ever gets added to this site it's something you can do to avoid having to resize everything...

(Click it)

Tinypic created this thumbnail for me... then I embedded it.

Here is what you you do

1. Upload image.

2. Right click and grab the image URL of the thumbnail they present you with:

3. Create a link thumbnail. (see below)

4. Grab the full sized image URL

5. Put it in the URL tags surrounding the the image tags by placing an "=" sign after "URL" but before "]" and then paste the link after the "="

The overall code looks like this:

Code: Select all

[URL=Link_to_full_sized_image] [IMG]Link_to_full_thumbnail[/IMG] [/URL]
TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN! ☕︎
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

Yeah, not exactly what I was looking for, but I suppose it could be useful to some degree. Thanks.