Image Reactions

Have you spotted a mistake, error, or just want to improve Chao Island? Post it here!
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Re: Image Reactions

Post by Tsui »

Triert wrote:How terrible that you and other peoples viewing experience on the forums discussion has to be interrupted by images.
Actually, it does feel somewhat disruptive and out of place.

Personally I understand if you feel it helps convey tone alongside text, though. I get that. If you want, we also have the Chao emotes available. I find it helps me sometimes. (Sorry if I misinterpreted that?)
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

They're just images, how far have we gone to let this kind of thing bother us?

And I know we have chao emotes, if it's all the same with everyone here I'd rather not use those given the limited range of emotions. Not only that, but really? Is that the best you can offer?
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

Vaporwave
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Vaporwave »

I see the concern here, and given my increased forum frequency for the last few months or so, I don't know if I'm someone that has been disruptive in tasteless image usage in the General Discussion board or not, but given my recent frequency I would assume that I'm a likely suspect.

I apologize for any disruptive usage, and in general I apologize for any disruptive behavior in General Discussion.

I will moderate my behavior, if anyone has any particular concerns whether about this or another issue, please PM me or contact me over Discord.
SwifterTheDragon
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by SwifterTheDragon »

I know that I am quoting someone here on CI, but I can not remember who at the moment.

This is a website for Chao information that should be growing, because we have forums. Chao are dead for now, I'll get to this later. Because of this, we have lost interest in Chao themselves. Until Chao make a return, What are we supposed to do here then? Keep playing with Chao? Some things get boring eventually. Chao is one of them. This website is about Chao. What are we supposed to do with forums nowadays? We're all sitting here, lazily, waiting for Chao to reappear. We have become lazy in doing so. Until they do, *cough cough* Sonic Adventure 3 *cough cough* we are all going to use the forums for other reasons than why the forums were originally made. Stuff like this should not be a problem for now until Chao do reappear.

Can time travelling be invented yet?

Off topic, but how can we not be hyped for Sonic Adventure 3 with SEGA's Twitter being full of encrypted secrets. That are clearly hinting at SOMETHING
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

@Swifter: Because.

But even if they did make SA3, they'd at least release Sonic Forces and Mania first. Not enough room for the developers to work on all of those games.
Triert wrote:And I know we have chao emotes, if it's all the same with everyone here I'd rather not use those given the limited range of emotions.
Yeah, the problem with the chao smilies is how limited they are. I did start working on additional ones and cleaning the old ones but eventually forgot about that effort. I should get back to that some time.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

@Tsui: Solid reference to MOD!Crazo, but I don't really count any of those revisions from back in the day. Though I do appreciate the Chao smilies, especially since I realized we never really updated them to have every Chao do every emote. It is limited in an interesting way.

@ Lamby: Triert only wants to get personal with you, but I appreciate the vocal support. We know the guy is the type to say "You couldn't make a Mel Brooks movie today." after all.

@chaoadventures: I'm glad filling a room with bodies adds a sense of confidence on this being an issue, but that's what happens when you give time and patience to a thing. I can disappear for weekends for conventions or whole weeks because of work, but that doesn't make me less of a participant. People post when they have time. That's how a forum works.

---

@Triert: I'm just going to leave you with a parallel you might not be noticing. You stress out any moment that something even remotely political comes up, or that could even loosely suggest that people do things that you are unable to be fully aware of, regardless of how they impact your daily life, to the point where you become functionally useless in any sense of communication. This is such an issue that you have to actively sabotage your social bonds on a regular basis, and cannot understand why people don't want to bother with you after the dust has settled.

All we are trying to do here is have a civil discussion on A. whether image reactions are a concern people have, and B. what we should do about the issue. Instead of joining us in a civil discussion, you were quick to frame it as a personal attack, when you're not the only one who is using the image reactions. Vapor apologized and considered that he could be doing something wrong. Instead of saying "It's just images." Half of your conspiracy riddled posts about politics are about how communication has an effect. Images are communication. Or should we say that is "just politics." and shrug it off?

Right now we have a show of hands on this issue:
5 people think it is a concern.
2 people think it is not a concern.
3 people gave unclear responses.

I intend to continue having this discussion. If you want to be a baby about it, please go be a baby where babies belong: in a crib, in a room, away from the grown ups and older kids.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

1. If the images people used broke any rules they would be removed.
2. Pictures don't say bad words.
3. People don't get to say I'm being needlessly paranoid when I know where people are talking about me but wont talk to me. "and I don't want to blame specific use" Combined with that image makes it clear enough I'm what spurred this.

Really, what would it take to get you to see you're wrong and being a grump? I'd love to hear it out of you and get you and everyone else to drop this whole ridiculous effort.
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

In my opinion, posting only an image and nothing else is spam.
But actually having a relevant post and an image after is fine as long as the text part actually continues on the topic on its own.
In other words, the picture, unless the thread topic calls for it like the chao picture topic, shouldn't define your response.
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
Runasutaru
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Be the punching bag!

Post by Runasutaru »

This discussion is missing the point or at least moving off of it by the minute through passive-aggressiveness from multiple people. Please, civility is crucial to get points across.

Images are merely one of the media in which low-quality posting can be perpetrated; low-quality text posts -- be they sentence fragments or paragraphs of vitriol -- are just as faulty as images can be. The common thread is a lack of value in contributions, so user misuse of any media is what should be ruled against. This just comes down to quality control and needs no special ruling as that is implicitly, if not explicitly, already the standard for a moderator's job. I elaborate further on this below if anyone wishes to read my reasoning fully, though the above should be sufficient.

Image-only posts can be just as useful, if not more so, than alternatives. They're harder to use well but yield great dividends in terms of tone precision and mannerisms when successful. Whether they are harmful relies purely on their context. If an image encompasses your tone and message perfectly with little to no margin of doubt, it makes a lot more sense to do that than other things. Why go text-only and risk leaving context and tone out or, alternatively, go for an image plus needless and redundant explanatory text (SPAM)? It all comes down to what the post is meant to say and do regardless of the means. Leaving stigma out of the image medium would be wise.

Given all this, if a formal policy must be made and it is meant to be determined by public popular ruling, then that should have been stated from the very start:
So this might just be personal taste, but I've heard mostly agreement from others when I bring it up.
If they want to come forward in agreement they can. If they don't want to, they don't have to. I mentioned conversations as a source of inspiration, not as a persuasive tool.
It was not. These statements from Crazo contradict each other and confuse the logic of this thread. Using self-admitted personal taste backed by intangible evidence ("mostly agreement from others" -- Who? How many?) in order to argue for measures is shaky and intensely unclear. Refusing to present evidence when prompted to is even worse; this is a case of clear persuasive intent rather than inspiration. For inspiration alone, it would be needless to bring up anyone: one would just start a thread due to hearing a lot of sadness from others. On that note, not naming people is understandable given that the argument relies on the backing of privately-held opinions, but then they should not have been put forward in the first place. It should have stayed a personal opinion and been argued on its merits alone out of respect for everyone, especially for those who voiced their concerns privately. I restate that opting for democracy or for internal discussion should have been done at the very start for maximum efficacy.

I end this by saying that the opinions of those who will not stand up for their cause publicly hold very little weight for proper policy-making: discontent in the shadows does nothing to resolve issues and risks leaving even the most community-aware administrator at a loss regarding the best path to take.

If people truly desire change, they must come forward. I, one of those infrequent users mentioned in the thread, am entirely against any sort of special treatment, negative or positive, for image reactions.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

@ Triert: A recap:
Crazo3077 wrote:So this might just be personal taste, but I've heard mostly agreement from others when I bring it up.
Please discuss.
Triert wrote:Who are the others and where did you talk about it?
Lamby wrote:i'm one of the people that talked to crazo about it sweeties hi! ;x
mintdrop wrote:hi one of those people that agrees with crazo here
Tsui wrote:Actually, it does feel somewhat disruptive and out of place.
Triert wrote:Really, what would it take to get you to see you're wrong and being a grump? I'd love to hear it out of you and get you and everyone else to drop this whole ridiculous effort.
There are users who agree it is an issue, and these are just ones being vocal about it. What I'd like is for you to admit that there is a concern and that we should agree on some terms that help people qualify whether an instance of image usage is appropriate or not. All I was looking for was confirmation that I wasn't alone on the issue, and now that I know I am not, I want the community to work toward ideas to help conclude what we should do about it. If I genuinely thought I was without a doubt right about this issue, I'd just just gone straight to Mooncow or Nano about it without making a post, and now that there have been developments, I intend to see it through to some conclusions.

Also, iIf you're so concerned as to what people are saying to you on the server, why not ask to come back but have chat muted for you? Then you can see everything anyone says? Though honestly, you'll just find the same stuff any of us say on the forum. Like none of us feel a need to lie to or about you. But do you get like this even about people who just have one on one private messages about you? Like do you need to sit on any conversation I have with anyone just to feel comfortable? There's gotta be a limit to it, but that has to be discussed with Bunelody or Sable, since they run the server currently.

---

Now Runasutaru! I like you! You're putting in the kind of effort I like to see!

Your focus on quality control is essential to this discussion, though I want you to consider something very important: a moderator's job is not to sweep the forums for the quality of posts. A moderator's job is to act when a change is needed. This is why we have the report feature on all posts. This is how most moderators receive their tasks. It is the community's duty to report posts that need attention. That is why a clear rule, or would help on knowing what to report and what not to report.

Where you wasted time though is on my quotes, because they don't lack logical consistency: they're not even part of the argument.

The first quote isn't part of a logical formula, it just exists to bring context to my post. "Why is Crazo posting this? Because he thinks this is an issue, and has met others who agree." And I have since had multiple users who explicitly agree, with the only dissent being "they're just images" and "this is a personal attack", which are not really robust enough to work from.

The second quote is my clarifying on my line that offers context. I chose this phrasing because I'm not going to name off people who do not want to be included in the discussion. Bare in mind, my original post included the phrase "Please discuss." as to clearly indicate that what I am calling a social issue may actually just be a social trend that I am behind on.

My argument would be "If image reactions are a problem, then we should figure out how to address them." That's the primary argument. I'd say there is a part of the community that thinks image reactions are a problem, as provided by them commenting on this thread, so my step is that we should address them. How should we address them? Different suggestions have been offered. I'll likely compile them once enough time has passed to give the community time to participate in the discussion.

I agree that incorporating images into posts can be an effective choice, but given that we have community members who agree that usage is becoming excessive or inappropriate, we need to clearly decide if it is breaching some form of social customs, and whether or not that applies to an existing rule or needs a new rule.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

If those two are the ones in charge then I'd rather stay away and suggest others do the same at this point.

"I think Nano's perspective on my intentions is fair, and in the ballpark of what I'd prefer to see."

If you and others want a rule against this, you're not going to be taken seriously. If you want a community effort to post better, maybe we can talk. But screw off with any sort talk of rules or "I can just go over everyone here" talk. Don't throw your weight like it's 2008.

Edit: If anything, the usage of reaction images is at it's core a very internet thing to do. Not all of us want to go

"Pounces on you :3"

When we can use an image that isn't nearly as embarrassing.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Crazo wrote:I'd just just gone straight to Mooncow or Nano about it without making a post,
Why do you keep threatening to use your "privileges" anyways?

Independent of that, looking at older posts here I've never noticed until this topic but GEEZ you can be condescending man

- - -
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

Can anyone explain why me saying I can go directly to Mooncow or Nano is a threat? Like I'm mentioning it to make it clear I respect community input and don't just want to make demands in the shadows. It is an act of being transparent with my intentions and seeking public opinion over trying to weasel around the community and persuade the people with actual power. I'm assuming that most people get that since Triert and chaoadventures are the only people whining about this.
chaoadventures wrote:looking at older posts here I've never noticed until this topic but GEEZ you can be condescending man
Let's see if I can use this to help you guys see my side of the argument. Since nothing else has been working.

You read my past posts, and maybe even my current posts, and think I am condescending. I type them with the intention of speaking openly, honestly, and confidently. I don't act with the intention of speaking down to others, but admittedly may be holding people to higher standards than a forum really calls for. Some people may also see me as condescending, others think I'm alright, and friends like chocohugs have said that I used to come off as some super cool older kid on the forum.

These are varied perspectives over the same content. And is exactly the issue we are trying to address here in this topic.

I read posts incorporating images and find some of them disrespectful. You may just be using images to best convey your perspective. Clearly there are people who agree that image reactions are useful, and I think they can be well applied, but not all uses of image reactions are equal. And can look like a desperate move to look cool or superior.

Does that help? Do you understand yet? Just because you or I or anyone else uses something with an intent doesn't mean that the results match the intent. And we need to be prepared for those consequences. We need to decide how to handle those situations. We need to be considerate to the feelings of the community.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

You just called the same person who said you were condescending a whiner and then went into detail about how you're not.

"We need to be considerate to the feelings of the community."

Yeah, yours. This community has more than a few clique's I'll remind everyone, and that makes for a very unpopular idea here as is shown.
mintdrop
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: \('- '\) live life like it's 2007

Post by mintdrop »

i think the smartest thing to do would be to reach some kind of compromise rather than pointing fingers and saying "you're selfish!". like most of us are adults or late teens here, i hope we can have a discussion about something as trivial as "some people find one image posts with no caption disrespectful in otherwise meaningful discussions" without resorting to being childish.
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
or if u wanna see a backpack full of rats EMAIL A BROTHA @ EMAIL_A_BROTHA@outlook.com
(00:29:23) Chocolate_Chao: I don't need cute art from a scumbag like you...
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

^I offered that we could have a post in General Discussion to simply improve posting, but no one cared.
Crazo3077 wrote:Let's see if I can use this to help you guys see my side of the argument. Since nothing else has been working.
I see the entirety of your perspective BUT you're also conveying it in an extremely condescending manner at the same time.

You CLAIM that's not your intention, but it's still there full force while telling me just that, and I'm personally just not buying it. ...The way you're presenting it I mean.

You've gotten your perspective itself across quite clear.

- - -
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Mint, if it's trivial then why do we need to change anything?
mintdrop
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: \('- '\) live life like it's 2007

Post by mintdrop »

it's trivial in that it's a topic that shouldn't incite childishness. i and several others find image posting outside fg&c to be rather disrespectful and dismissive to a topic that is otherwise discursive. like, it has a place and that place isn't threads about serious issues. why is that so hard to accept?
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
or if u wanna see a backpack full of rats EMAIL A BROTHA @ EMAIL_A_BROTHA@outlook.com
(00:29:23) Chocolate_Chao: I don't need cute art from a scumbag like you...
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

The aforementioned ease of usage in dialogue and communication for one.

What you're asking for isn't the worst thing in the world, but it also seems as if it'll be forced on people given some wording here. Don't you think this would look much better if your side of things gives up any intention of pushing this into the rules and instead asks for community betterment?

It's more selfish for people to come together and force a change over a trivial matter than it is for people to not want to change.
Runasutaru
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Be the punching bag!

Post by Runasutaru »

Crazo3077 wrote:My argument would be "If image reactions are a problem, then we should figure out how to address them." That's the primary argument.
The primary argument has not moved beyond "Is this a problem?". It is hasty to discuss policy when this line of thought has not yet been solved. Having a small (unless headcount in the thread proves otherwise) and mostly hidden sample as evidence that some dislike the reaction images is insufficient to constitute a fair answer to the question at hand. Rulings should be catered towards a great majority or urgent forum health needs -- whichever makes the most sense. Thus far, we have neither a great majority in either position nor, as far as I can tell by the few and slow responses in this thread, an urgent need for a change or ruling. As such, we should be waiting for a lot more input before we seriously discuss your "primary" argument.

If we're really going to start spawning solutions before we've verified the existence of a problem by my criteria above, then my definition for a clear rule would be that a post would have to contain both of the below to qualify as low quality:
1. Be rude, dismissive, blunt, or harsh;
2. States no facts, makes no reasonable presumptions, nor presents workable assumptions.

My reasoning is that simply being politically incorrect or in any other way harsh is not enough to override valid reasoning, and that being bad with logic and reasoning isn't enough to chastise someone if no offense is dealt to people. SPAM (sentence fragments, senseless repetition, disallowed or misplaced content) would take priority over both of the above, instantly qualifying a post as low quality. The moderator action to be taken should be editing in every case unless editing would leave a post without content, at which point it should be deleted and the user should be notified as to the reasons in private. If bad behaviour would persist for a long time, it would constitute tangible evidence to move onto moderating a user (strikes, suspensions, bans).
Crazo3077 wrote:(...) a moderator's job is not to sweep the forums for the quality of posts. A moderator's job is to act when a change is needed. This is why we have the report feature on all posts. (...) That is why a clear rule, or would help on knowing what to report and what not to report.
I'm going to have to disagree on the count of sweeping not being part of the job: the only thing stopping that from ever being the case is the size of a community; not the job's definition. This forum is small enough to make putting the overseeing burden on users alone unjustifiable, and I argue this for the following reasons:
- you may not even get an offending post reported due to the lack of registered user traffic;
- there will be few enough posts that a skim through unread posts should be swift and far more useful than merely waiting.

A report function is there to support moderator oversight and not to replace it. If a moderator's presence is not spread too thin, they will naturally run into most of the content in the forum(s) just by being an active member, and they have to be active (at least relative to the users in the forum or sub-forum they oversee) to adequately perform their job.
Crazo3077 wrote:The second quote is my clarifying on my line that offers context. I chose this phrasing because I'm not going to name off people who do not want to be included in the discussion.
I am not asking you to name people nor do I think it would be reasonable to force people to make their opinions public. Regardless, that is irrelevant to what I said.

What I did say, and where the contradiction lies, is that the only evidence brought up from your part is the private testimonies in the opening post. Being evidence, they are not just inspiration -- they are meant to convince the audience. It would be needless to include privately-held opinions if the complaints solely served to inspire the thread's creation. Ergo, it is persuasion.

Don't get me wrong: persuasion is not bad in itself, but having the persuasive argument in the opening post be backed solely by invisible and near-insubstantial evidence is, and then claiming it is not evidence in a later post is even more detrimental to an adequate resolution. It's a backpedalling move that not only removes the little substance the opening post had but also makes you seem insecure as to how to approach the matter. Or, if seen more cynically, it makes it seem as if you are already presuming the answer to the question of "Is this a problem?" is "yes" and are forcefully making the next question in line the topic of discussion.
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

idk about you guys but i'm just here to have fun
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

I'm pretty sure we don't need this kind of post-policing. Granted, image posting can be considered a detriment to a discursive topic, but if it sends across the same kind of message that the person would have put into a post anyway, what's banning image posting going to solve? An image like this is just as bad as a post saying "what". The problem shouldn't be "don't post images" but should be "make your posts worth the chao point", as Tsui stated.

Regardless, I don't think that the state Chao Island is currently in is much of a problem.

I'm against banning of images like this. I really don't think it's a problem.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

I'm opposed to restrictions on what I can post.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

I'm personally dubbing this "imagegate" and chalking it up as me not understanding taste and/or a communication platform. I've reevaluated posts that incorporate images on the site and admit I cannot find reasons for them being diversions from discussion. I was mistaken how extreme the situation was, and don't really intend to pursue this further.

I'll openly admit that I've had a hard time keeping up with gif-centric communication platforms. I'm kinda like the counter argument to Tsui's point about images helping communicate more clearly: images can be more deafening for me. They're harder to interpret than words for me, so it is easy for me to misunderstand their use. I'm hoping this will not slow me down too much in the oncoming future.