[FANGAME] Tiny Chao Garden Deluxe

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Re: [FANGAME] Tiny Chao Garden Deluxe

Post by TripleXero »

I had the idea that I could make the Chao Search minigame (https://youtu.be/6B-ZT8ciBIM?t=320) into a big garden with multiple Chao. Multiple Chao can easily be done right now actually, but since it's so small I decided to keep it to one for now. I thought about evolution, too, but all it'd be was changing the "CHILD" in the corner unelss I got people's permission to use their custom sprites, and even then, that's a lot of different combos. Items, though, 100% going to add more toys, one of them being the little ball in that minigame mentioned above. I was also thinking about a way to throw out or sell items, or even bulk buying fruit

Thank you for your help and ideas, for what you've given now and what might come in the future
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9scq2 ... cg0.24.zip

Some changes and fixes. Most importantly:
-Game now saves! But just because it saves doesn't mean you should start playing this seriously. The variable might change and break your save
Egg hatches at the correct rate since the game saves no
Chao can change direction, stop, talk, and other functions on its own now
New icon because why not

Edit: actually the random things the Chao does doesn't work, I named something wrong, Sorry
squiddapult
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by squiddapult »

Nice, ill test it out. One thing I noticed was that it was pretty rare to get rings from weeds, but they gave a lot of rings. Maybe try making the rings more common, but they give less? Perhaps they can drop between 1-3 rings and each ring gives somewhere like 20-50?
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

Okay, just redid the rings to be a bit more fair. Rings now appear 1-in-10 times, and the chances slightly go up if more weeds are on screen. Every 2 weeds brings the odds down 1, and the max weeds is set to 16, so the best chances for a ring to appear are 1-in-2. So you either risk not getting a ring popup, or you upset your Chao (the mood goes down at a set amount of seconds, but the more weeds there are, the amount of seconds goes down slightly), you decide which is more important. Remember that rings will also be earned in mini games eventually, too, so it's not totally unfair.

Ring amounts are also balanced a bit better. There's a 1-in-20 chance of 1 or 1000 rings, 3-in-20 chance of 5, 10-in-20 chance of 10, and 5-in-20 chance of 100. But that's not it, there's also a multiplier that ranges from 1 to 3.

So technically, if you are lucky, you can earn 3000 rings from pulling a weed, but if I did the math correctly, even with the max amount of weeds, that's a 1-in-120 chance (that's also the chance of getting 1 ring). The most likely amount though is 10, 20, or 30.

Also considering a utlility type store addition. Items would be like a time speed up that would push the time ahead by 5 minutes or a weed killer that would kill all weeds and stop the growth for 20 minutes
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

I might also either add an autosave option or get rid of the default window border and add a custom one, because right now it's really easy to just quit the game without saving when not thinking about it

Picking up items and petting the Chao at the same time is fixed, as well as shrinking the Chao's collision box

Might also change the GBAs (which aren't in the game yet) to VMUs since this isn't on a GBA anymore, and VMUs were mainly minigames on their own anyways
squiddapult
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by squiddapult »

Ring changes sound absolutely great! You really seem to know what youre doing when it comes to this, which is surprising because so many people dont know a single thing about anything when trying to do a project like this. Im optimistic about how this is coming!

For the store additions, the time speed up sounds perfect, but the weed killer takes away our only source of rings (as of yet). Basically in the future if its to our benefit to use weedkiller then the other sources of rings should be much more reliable and quick than the weeds. Would it be possible for, when minigames are implemented, to have them open in a separate window, or to the side of the screen if the garden ends up being bigger, something always irked me about the game taking me away completely from my chao. I also like the VMU idea, makes sense and is a fun change. Are you intending to add any new minigames? Something simple I could think of is a snake clone.

One glitch I encountered was that sometimes when pulling a weed the hand cursor would get stuck on the pulling animation and I wouldnt be able to click anything, bring up the menu, or save/exit.

EDIT: Menu looks good, I really like having a stats screen.
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

I've looked pretty in depth when making stuff for this, trying to make sure it's as close as the original with the core gameplay as possible. I use a screen recorder to get the animation times as close as possible as well as putting the correct frame on after another as well as watching to see when what happens. I'm sure I screwed some stuff up, but I have no once seen a visually appealing or complete Tiny Chao Garden remake

I might decrease the rings from weeds once the minigames are made, or just remove the multiplier. Having a weed give you 30 times the max payout of a minigame might not be a good idea, no matter how low the odds. And the weedkiller would always be optional, it wouldn't force you to lose your weeds

I'd love to add new minigames, but I can't make game graphics for crap. I tried making a VMU sprite for about an hour after I made that post and just couldn't get it to look like it fit in the game's style. A Snake clone could be fun and easy. I thought about a slot machine game to start with to get rings while other games are being worked on since it'd be fast, but Snake would probably be more fun

As for the weed glitch, I've had it happen a couple times, too, but not enough to see what caused it. I think it could be if the weed is grabbed twice really quickly, it does the animation twice, but since the cursor changes frames once the weed gets deleted, and it's already deleted, it won't happen. I'll mess around with it and see what I can do. Worst case I can make it change the cursor after a set amount of time just in case

For the separate window, I can look into it. I have been attempting to get this game running on iOS (I don't have a Mac to run Xcode so it's been a pain to attempt), and since that wouldn't support two windows it might be a pain to work with. Plus most minigames depend on time so it might not make sense. I might have misunderstood your intentions with it. I could just make the game continue to run in the background or minigames be able to be paused, I'll try some stuff though

Also, any ideas for more options or stats? I've got fruit eaten and rings collected, but that's all I can think of that's not boring like how many times the name was changed
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

Early Memory mini game work

What I've decided for the mini games is that they will be downloaded separately from the game (I might make a combined version for simplicity for people that don't care about this). The main game download will come with the main game (obviously) and two empty games. Those games will load the data from a separate download which you will put in the main game's save folder and will load from there. This way you can either load the mini games from within the main game (one window), or load the mini game separately (two or more windows). This will also solve the problem of how to add more than two mini games without 50 GBAs on screen, you pick which two you want. And even better, if there's an update to the a mini game you won't have to redownload the whole game, and same the other way around. It seems complicated but once it's actually working it'll be easier

The main game is basically almost done, actually. All I can think of gameplay wise is finish adding the random Chao functions, have the Chao runaway if you ignore it, and have the Chao watch the TV. After that, it's probably ready for a first actual release, but I'll probably wait until at least one mini game is done
squiddapult
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by squiddapult »

Its incredible that even at this point its still just me commenting on your status updates, I hope that doesnt dishearten you, again the forums are basically just dead. I can imagine it would be difficult to make new sprites that have the same quality as the original ones, but once the game has its first initial release, youd probably be able to get people who have that talent to contribute once you spread the game around. What I meant for a separate window is basically just having the normal game run in the background, which is basically pointless but just for the sake of less disconnect with your chao. Your plan for downloadable minigames is fantastic and im sure will work well, memory minigame is looking like its translating perfectly. The only extra "option" i can think of is to resize the screen, but that would be pointless unless larger gardens are implemented. Extra stats could be things like amount of fruits eaten, levels gained maybe? idk its true that at this point they become kind of boring, cant really think of other exciting things to add, maybe that will change in the future. Im still hoping eventually chaos will be able to evolve in this, obviously it couldnt be gradual like in the game but still a few steps of evolution. im sure if you asked the artists of some really well done custom sprite sheets, showed them the project at that point, and gave them proper credit, theyd have no reason to turn you down.

Anyways, excited for version 1.0!
squiddapult
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by squiddapult »

Also very bad very quick little snake mockup just for fun lol Image
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

It's a bit disappointing, but yeah, the forums are dead mostly. I don't really want to post it anywhere other than here (or places I'm decently known) until there's a first complete version because I don't want to give it a bad look because of other people's failed attempts. Anyways, the minigame is mostly done, all I need to do is add the little card things that pop up when you get a match, and the Chao pushing the cards around. I feel like the Chao part is going to be a pain

One thing I feel I should say, I'm getting a bit tired of working on this nonstop, but if I stop now I won't get back to it for a while, so I'm just going to push through it until I get a full version out and take a break

Edit: Also the smaller cards are just there for testing so I can easily complete the game, won't be there when the game is done. Also I made it so if you hit the printscreen button when the cards are exposed, it shuffles them around so you can't cheat. Honestly I only added that because as a kid I always tried cheating on that game, haha
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

To be honest, I've just been watching from the sidelines for a while.

Anyways, this is really good, so keep up the good work!

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

Chao can't afford to miss the weather

The twitching between frames won't happen normally, since the Chao can't randomly decided to watch the TV while it's grabbed normally
chaoadventures wrote:To be honest, I've just been watching from the sidelines for a while.

Anyways, this is really good, so keep up the good work!
Thank you!
MarkeySpirit
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: It's not ogre, it's never ogre

Post by MarkeySpirit »

This looks really good. Might give me a reason to check the forums more.
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

So, I planned on having v1.0 out by now, but I underestimated how much work it'd take to separate the minigame to its own game. I can't imagine it taking more than another day, though
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

EDIT: If you attempted to download this before, I'm sorry, I screwed up the upload. It's fixed now!

After a long period of me wanting to pull all of my hair out, here is v1.0.0!

Of course, the game isn't completely done, but I'd say it's pretty much on par with the Sonic Advance version of the original game, aside from a missing mini game. More stuff will come in the future still, too, but now is my break on the game (unless a game breaking glitch is found).

If you've played the original GBA Tiny Chao Garden, this will be everything you remember and more. I tried to make the game as close as the original as possible by examining the original game to get sounds, animations, variables, graphics, and whatever else nearly identical. What I couldn't figure out I did my best to create myself. I hope you guys like it!

New features:
Mouse control, not only for the garden itself, but mini games and menus!
Keyboard input, because trying to change the Chao's name with a directional input sucks
Downloadable mini games
Ability to run mini games outside of the garden (multitasking!)
New ways to earn rings (like pulling weeds!)
Options to make the game fit you better (game size, volume, mouse lock, running in background)
Autosaving
Statistics
Freely sending you Chao away (but why would you send your beloved Chao into the cold, dark, lonely, wilderness?)
Possibly even more I forgot!

Control:
Left CTRL key: Open store
Enter/Return or Escape key: Open pause menu
Tab key: Open options menu
Mouse: Pretty much everything else

If for some reason the cursor locks up in the grab animation, right click anywhere. Sorry if this happens.

Tip for pulling weeds: The more weeds you have makes the Chao's mood go down faster, but having higher amounts of weeds also increases your odds of getting a ring to appear. You decide which is more important, you Chao's mood or money.

Tiny Chao Garden v1.0.0 (Includes standalone launchers, too)

Memory Mini Game Download (How to put in game below)

To install the mini game into the actual game files, open the main game and open the options menu (Tab) and open the save folder

Extract mini game files here

Any questions just ask. Any bugs or errors, please tell me, and mention what you did or post the error screen!

http://i.imgur.com/4pWoOlz.png

Things I've noticed that need to be fixed: Randomize egg color after mini game and buying an egg, fix mini game standalone crash if no Chao, rings earned through the standalone mini game are more than what they should be if the garden is open, if the Chao eats something on its own while holding something the cursor changes frames, memory game sometimes lets you flip every card, pulling a weed right after another is pulled locks the cursor in the grab form, can open options in mini game, but can't see them
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

This isn't just a screenshot of a screenshot on my phone, it's actually running on my phone. Of course it's not displaying properly, because it's not the right screen size, but it's possible
Sonicjan
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Sonicjan »

Hello, this game is so awesome, but I have a question: Now it´s 2017 and the last reply is from march 2016. So will this game see any more updates or even a smartphone release? If so, I had some ideas for you to make this game even better ^^

-adding all 5 mini games (Chao Memory, Rock-Paper-Scissors, Chao Bounce, Chao Ball, Chao Search)
-adding a mini game based on Chao Adventure 1 and 2 from the Dreamcasts VMU
-adding sprites for all evolutions and Character Chao
-adding the Chao Kindergarten with all learnable abilities (e.g. the trompete instead of buying it), Chao Karate and Chao Races with all toys that the Chao can win (e.g. the TV instead of buying it)
-the ability to export the Chao-file with rings and item to the PC, so that you can add it to SADX and SA2B on the PC
-the ability to get Tails-, Knuckles- and Amy-Chao with sprites
-more place for more Chao! (eventually new gardens or just the same garden only multiple times?)
-and much more to make that game awesome! :chaohappy: :darkhappy: :herosway:

Also there is someone else making the Tiny Chao Garden for PC, maybe you can work with him together, so that he doesn´t make another (incomplete?) Tiny Chao Garden for PC and you have someone who can help you! I would help too when you want, I just don´t know how. Just say me what I could do ( of course, when you are working on that game and didn´t give it up/let it like it is...) :surprise:
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

I stopped working on the game due to lack of interest. I had wanted to create a 1:1 recreation of the game before adding anything significantly new, which would have included all the mini games. As for the smartphone release, my phone is no long jailbroken, so it's not something I could even do if I wanted to, and working with the other person on their PC version would probably be near impossible as it's not being made the same way

Edit: I decided to a bit of work on the game, mostly screwing with an emulator. This info might be useful for someone in the future:

I'm almost certain it takes 20 minutes for a Chao to run away in the real game under the condition that its mood was empty during the entire time. Belly does not affect it. There is a counter I found in the memory that starts to count down as soon as the mood hits 0, my main problem here is figuring out how long it takes to cycle though this counter quickly without worrying about slowdown or interruptions. The counter runs from 255 to 0 in a set amount of seconds (which I believe is 4 seconds) 300 times, meaning 1200 seconds or 20 minutes. Manipulating the memory to try to set it to what I believe is one minute left comes out around a minute when timed, but it's hard to say exactly
Domobot
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Domobot »

So are you definitely not working on this anymore? There are some neat ideas here that I'd like to use, if it's okay with you.