[FANGAME] Tiny Chao Garden Deluxe

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

[FANGAME] Tiny Chao Garden Deluxe

Post by TripleXero »

I am currently working on my first game, and it is a recreation of the Tiny Chao Garden. Eventually it will have more additions, that's why it's called "Deluxe", but it's better to get the original things down before changing it all. It's only been worked on for about a week so it's very unfinished, but it has a decent amount of stuff done. And as I was writing this I found out I apparently can't post images or links? How do I do that without it being "spam"?

So, for the time being, here's this: forum.stabyourself.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3702
It's another forum that I have this posted on with more information and a download
FrankT
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: I gotta get back to the Island!

Re: [FANGAME] Tiny Chao Garden Deluxe

Post by FrankT »

Well - it works well so far! Might be worth pointing out that it needs the LOVE game engine to operate, though.
Check my new blog: Tails Chao Love ME!
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE - Chao Caring Do's & Don'ts ^^
Ah, the sounds of heaven on earth....
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

Oops, I did have that on here until I found out I can't post links
Chaon
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Be nice to me ( ◡‿◡ ☆)

Post by Chaon »

:surprise: If I purchase anything other than fruit, it doesn't appear in the garden. BTW, I downloaded the Oct. 14 Version.

I do think this is amazing, though.
Back from the dead, I s’pose :blink:
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

Sorry for the really late replies. The most recently uploaded version is kinda old, I'm hoping to get a better version up soon. I took a pretty long break to work on some other things, but I'm back to this. Items will be able to get out of the store now, on top of much more. Right now I'm redoing the chao animation system I had set up for more accurate animations

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2hbh2 ... v0.06.love New Version

It also appears I can post links and images now, so here's an image of an earlier version
FrankT
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao

Post by FrankT »

it's broken. you broke it. 'n'

TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

That shouldn't cause any issues. Are you using 0.9.0? Because it's made for 0.8.0
FrankT
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao

Post by FrankT »

I'm using a 64-bit one.
FastRunningChao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: More 1337 than sanic.

Post by FastRunningChao »

What are the controls?
Because all I know is to pet the chao.
Gotta be a FAST chao!
Drinking_Water
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: this is my Motto.

Post by Drinking_Water »

This game is sounds awesome.
Are you able to add Minigames to the shop?
(Like you can buy the Chao Find game from DX's Downloadable garden, or Chao Ball from Sonic Pinball ect?)
I click every Dragon/Leetle I see! :)
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

Yeah... I kinda took a break from this for a while, but I'm working on it again. I haven't uploaded a new version yet, but so far I have name, rings, belly, and mood saving, more Chao functions, the ability to have different colored chao (although only 3 sprite sheets are done), and a mostly done minigame

For controls, I can't remember, but I'm guessing all you could do was pet the chao in that release, and I plan to make all the minigames, but the one where you find the chao might be hard to do
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Do you plan on releasing the source code?
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

For the source code for all of the .love releases, just rename the .love to .zip, but it might not be worth messing with my coding, it's super messy and unorganized
FastRunningChao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: More 1337 than sanic.

Post by FastRunningChao »

This post died.
Like.
Last year.
Gotta be a FAST chao!
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

Cool! what program did you use? :thinking:
I am also currently working on a tiny chao garden
StarLand
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: May not wait for my work...

Post by StarLand »

ChaoGardenBuster wrote:Cool! what program did you use? :thinking:
I am also currently working on a tiny chao garden
Only a programming language called: Lua.
Sonicjan
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Sonicjan »

How can i open and play it?
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

This kinda got left behind when I got a new computer because I was too lazy to bring the files over, but in the last three days I've been remaking the game from scratch (not because of that laziness, but because I've learned a ton more about LUA and LOVE2D since starting this project, so it made more sense to do it this way). Pretty much every non-Chao or minigame related function of the game is done, which amazed me because I accomplished a lot in those three days. I hope to get a basic Chao working in the game and put out a test version (doesn't pay to release a version without a Chao, there's no fun in that)

TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOzSLJ2baQ4

The GIF probably did it more justice, though. The recording got choppy and my stereo mix is screwed up. More progress and sound, but yeah, the recording sucks, it's not the game

Edit: And just like that, I'm already redoing something completely again. Restarting for items work. How I just did it fruit, toys, and eggs were all separate things, but I realized that's just going to cause issues so now I'm going to try and make them all one thing
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

I have 103 known messages for the Chao to say (there might be more, I had to go through the game checking for each one myself), even situational ones like the duck swimming one, ones about being hungry, ones about his name, and even if you're laptop battery is lower than 50%, the "get a new battery" one. There's 6 more that aren't added yet and they are the TV ones and the running away ones

Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with the game crashing if there's an item lower than the egg when it hatches or there's not an item lower than the chao when you feed it, and I can't figure out why
squiddapult
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by squiddapult »

Oh yo I made an account just to reply to this, youre totally doing a wicked thing and im incredibly surprised to see this sort of thing happening now and not like, on a 4 year old post. I hope this takes off well for you, youve got my support. Is there anywhere else i could keep track of development? If not maybe you should start some small blog somewhere to gain some attention. HMU if you wanna talk about this or something, nice work.
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

I've been mostly just posting updates here since I restarted, but I slowed down because it seemed like no one was really too interested and I was just double posting. Thank you for supporting me, though, I can try to post more stuff

Here's what the game looks like so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAGcxVetiX8

One thing I've added gameplay-wise that wasn't in the original is pulling up weeds sometimes pulls up rings, kinda like Sonic Adventure when you chop the weeds with Tails
squiddapult
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by squiddapult »

Its super understandable that interest in a project like this would seem to be nill for a few reasons. One is that this forum is basically dead, and the other is that theres countless other people that have showed up and said theyre going to make something and then disappeared. I made an account here because youre the first person to have something concrete and im pretty damn excited about that. I have very little interest in sonic as a franchise but pet-sim type stuff is my jam and chao hits that sweet spot. Honestly id ask if I could help with any sort of art asset type stuff but I doubt itd be up to par with even the simple art style they have going on already. I noticed you got the emoteball in now! and the weeds giving you rings is a good idea. Man id love to just sit and talk about ideas and features with you but I think youve got enough work to do. Anyway yeah definitely keep this up, you get a stable updating release out and you'll be a hero. If youre comfortable posting anywhere else, id recommend 4chans /vg/ board, specifically sonic or gamedev threads.
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

If you have any more ideas, I'm willing to listen. Aside from the ring thing and one other idea I haven't added yet (and obvious cursor upgrades instead of direction pad controls), I am going to need more ideas to make it "Deluxe" and not just a slight upgrade

ALSO! Here's a download! This is open for anyone to play, and doesn't require downloading LOVE anymore, I made an EXE so it's quicker, just extract and run. I'd love if some people could bug test what I have so far, but here are some things I know I need to add/change/fix:
-Petting doesn't change the hand motion
-The trumpet emote ball doesn't have it's position set yet
-The Chao hitbox needs to be reduced
-I forgot to remove the counter in the corner
-Saving isn't set up yet
-You can pick up the egg and fruit before they're eaten or hatched
-The hatch timer is too quick and you can't pet it (this is just to speed things up for testing)

Anything else you notice, please tell me. Even the smallest stuff

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ppx4v ... G_0.23.zip
squiddapult
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by squiddapult »

Glad to bug test! First thing I found is that if you do end up picking up the egg before it hatches then the mouse will be stuck in the grab position and you wont be able to touch anything, I imagine this would be fixed when you simply cant pick up the egg while hatching.

Some ideas I had were things like more than one chao at a time, different and bigger gardens, and chao breeding, evolution and death. Basically things that would make this like a normal chao garden. I dont know if any of those things are feasible because I have no idea if youre just changing code or writing your own thing from scratch completely. More items for the garden, is definitely something, and a way to put away or store other items too. Ill be testing out stuff trying to find any bugs for a bit, and for any other newer version you upload. Im very free this summer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so ill be checking out this thread a lot.