I wonder...why are Chao so jiggly?

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: I wonder...why are Chao so jiggly?

Post by chaoadventures »

I'm gonna take a guess that Chao decompose themselves into some stuff that we can't see/blends in with the ground when they die.

Given there's a super ultra shady Black Market in a closet that's clearly labeled that, and nobody's doing anything, the Black Market probably has something to do with the longevity of the Kindergarten Employees. Whether or not it's legal or sane, I don't know.(I mean just look at the doctor. Does he seem sane to you?)

But, personally I'm more worried about the Blinking Statue in the Principle's Office.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

But even the player's chao do not age while in the kindergarten. It isn't anything special about the staff, but the place as a whole is in some sort of dimensional flux, where time has become meaningless. Immortal chao is a silly notion; a place that bends the laws of time? Much more possible.

I agree with chaoadventures about the decomposing; the cocoon itself is probably part of the chao itself, which also decomposes.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Here's a hypothesis that could provide an in-universe explanation for many things that could be explained away by story and gameplay segregation:

The Chao Gardens are under the effects of what i'm going to call, for lack of a better term, A Biological Acceleration Field or BAF for short. The BAF is only active while a Chao Breeder is present in the Garden, affects the trees, small animals, and the Chao themselves. Its effects include, but are not necessarily limited to: Trees producing fruit ready to harvest on the order of minutes rather than weeks or months, small animals dying and fully decomposing on the order of seconds or minutes rather than months or years, Chao aging by a year in a matter of hours, Chao metamorphosis(what we commonly call first evolution) taking less than a minute, production and gestation of Eggs taking seconds rather than days or weeks, and dead chao decomposing completely in under a minute. The reason Chao outside of Gardens(including the Kindergarten Staff and Cheese) don't appear to have the same accelerated aging as Garden Chao is because they are outside the effective range of a BAF, and Chao don't appear to age when one leaves the Gardens because the BAF for a given Garden is deactivated when a Breeder leaves. Presumably, the equipment that produces the BAF would be housed within the Chao Transporter since it is the only Machine that is found in every Chao Garden.

By comparison, the TCG is equipped with a Biological Stasis field that halts most biological processes completely leaving metabolism and circadian rhythms as the only biological processes that are still readily observed.
Sim_Chao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Keep Calm, and Farm Drives!

Post by Sim_Chao »

So, in short, chao are water-retaining, bundles of joy, and still just a theory, a Game Theory, thanks for watching! XD

Seriously, why hasn't MatPat done a segment on chao?
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

You guys, I have a crazy theory that will not only provide an answer to this question, but it will completely blow. Your. Minds!

Chao... Are descendants... Of JELLYFISH.

PROOF!

-There is actually a variety of Jellyfish (Turritopsis dohrnii) that is referred to as the Immortal Jellyfish. During adulthood, it can actually return to an immature state. Of course, it can also be killed before this can happen. This sounds incredibly similar to Chao, as they can return to an Egg state upon reaching a certain point in adulthood, but will still die if treated poorly.

-One of the locations in which these Jellyfish can be found... Is in the waters of Japan. Need I say more about this one?

-Chao cannot be drowned. Sure, they can struggle in the water if they don't know how to swim, but they never sink below the surface and die. Perhaps this could be a reference to potential aquatic ancestors? And let's not forget the water-like Chaos, who is apparently supposed to be a mutated Chao.

-Jellyfish in general have apparently been around for hundreds of millions of years. Evolution (not Chao Evolutions, that's more like a metamorphosis with multiple paths) is a really long process, but Jellyfish have been around for ages. Because of this, the idea that a new species could have emerged from these creatures over time is not that strange. Sure, there are some differences between Chao and Jellyfish, such as Jellyfish... You know... Not being able to fly or walk on land. And not to mention that the Immortal Jellyfish is actually incredibly small in size. But that's what Evolution is all about. Keep in mind, that every species on Earth came from a little something called the Last Universal Ancestor. And look how much diversity there is now! If you think about it, it really isn't that crazy. Especially since Chao are fictional, anyway...

And there you have it. My theory on how Chao come from the soft-bodied creatures known as Jellyfish, and that is why they are jiggly and such.

...Holy cow, I can totally see this being a Game Theory video. Now I actually legitimately want to see MatPat go on about how Chao came from Jellyfish, that would be hilarious.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I don't think it would be out of the question for being raised so close to the master emerald after many successive generations to produce strange mutations (Chaos,) and fast evolutions. But even taking that into account, the chao were still in fresh water around the master emerald, and I don't think jelly fish are really outside of ocean water.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

Yes, that's true... But, in all honesty, my "theory" was really just a silly thought that popped into my head, which I decided to share. And I mean, after all, the original post on this topic said that "unusual answers" were accepted. XD

So, yeah...
What is my life anymore?
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I know. I was just adding reasons in support, and also against, your idea. Because unusual answers still need unusual contributions and and discussion. The jelly fish idea does make sense, primarily taking into account the immortal jelly fish examples.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

This Wikipedia Article was the second Google result for freshwater jellyfish, so Chao being apparently freshwater semi-aquatic organisms isn't really a mark against the Jellyfish Ancestor Hypothesis.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

Oh, so there are freshwater jellyfish? Cool.

But hey, I just realized... The Egg Carrier Garden in SADX. It's in a beach/island environment. The water surrounding the land appears to be an ocean. So, wouldn't this suggest that Chao CAN survive near ocean waters?
What is my life anymore?
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I should have looked up more about freshwater jelly fish. But I definitely learned something about that. And I had completely forgotten about the Egg Carrier Garden.
But chao in their natural habitat (assuming it is the area we see around the Master Emerald shrine) and most habitats are fresh water. I guess that shows a capacity to live in either, but this surprises me because I thought it was at some point specified that chao needed pure water, which I wouldn't think salt water would be considered.

The evidence for jelly fish keeps growing.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

Chao Gardens are a good place to find them, but they also inhabit areas with freshwater.
^
This is a part of the description for the SSBB Chao Trophy, so this might have been what you were remembering.

But anyway, I guess that maybe Chao most often live near freshwater areas, but aren't necessarily restricted to these exact conditions...? Because yeah, the Egg Carrier Chao Garden exists. Hmm... Maybe as long as the water source isn't polluted, they can survive there? I mean, the ocean by the Egg Carrier Garden looks pretty clean, especially considering how there is ocean pollution problems in real life. I guess the Egg Carrier Garden just so happened to meet all the requirements for sustaining Chao life. Or something like that...

Hmm, we're probably overthinking this anyway... But who cares? It's kinda fun. XD
What is my life anymore?
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I'm going to interpret "Chao need pure water" as "Chao need water free of significant pollution". Water is a very good solvent of ionic and polar covalent compounds to the point that it's nicknamed the "Universal Solvent" and as such is almost never found in nature without significant solutes present. Even the DE-ionized water used in many highschool and college chemistry labs is generally less pure than distilled water, and even the purest of bottled water usually has trace amounts of salt added for flavor. If Chao needed genuinely pure water to survive, they couldn't exist outside a sterile laboratory environment. Also, presumably, the Dark Garden's pond must be contaminated with something that doesn't bother the Chao to have such discoloration.

As for saltwater vs freshwater, it should be noted that many species of salmon are born in freshwater, live much of their life in the ocean, and return to freshwater to spawn, so fully aquatic organisms capable of surviving in both environments aren't unheard of. Also, being apparent airbreathers and capable of surviving without perpetually wet skin, Chao presumably don't have to worry about their cells shriveling or swelling to bursting as osmosis tries to balance salt levels between their cells and their environment.

Also, in addition to the Egg Carrier garden being on an island presumably in the middle of the ocean(or at least, you don't usually see sandy islands in freshwater bodies), the Mystic Ruins Garden is apparently on an ocean-side cliff and wouldn't be too unusual for water in such a location to be at least brackish.

As for over thinking, I kind of agree, but even in Chao island's hay day the Chao section got kinda boring when we didn't have at least one of these topics going. Besides, how many fictional species from mainstream media can you think of that have such utterly alien biology and official media gives us such a clear picture of their life-cycle? Most fictional species you see in the mainstream are either close enough to matching some real world organism that there's really nothing to speculate about, or tell us so little about the fictional species that there's little to use as a base for speculation.
Ivy_Pendragon12
Egg
Egg

Post by Ivy_Pendragon12 »

Because they are made of pudding, of course :chaohappy:
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Alright, I have something to add about the Kindergarden's dimensional flux. I think the Tiny Chao Garden is in the same flux, or at least a flux similar to the one of the Kindergarden. I have three reasons for this.

1. Chao do not age in both areas. This is very basic.
2. There is a shop in both areas. Also very basic.
3. Chao in the Tiny Chao Garden can talk, but they can't talk in the normal gardens. What is the only other place where Chao talk? The Kindergarden. (except with Omochao)
:omochao:

Also Mamkute, immortal Chao are not new. Chaos Chao, Character Chao, Cheese and Chocola are immortal (with Cheese and Chocola, it is only theoretical). I think the flux makes more sense, though, judging by the evidence with player owned Chao having the same effects in these areas.

The blinking statue is most likely mechanical or magic, nothing new for the Sonic universe.
Jack the Person
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Life is forever and only a moment.

Post by Jack the Person »

Zeyphr wrote:
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:I do suspect that Chao probably have few, if any hard tissues in their bodies(if they have a skeleton, it's probably all cartilege for example)...
Chao might have skeletons. This sounds dark (no pun intended), but I have a slight belief that the skulls that you find in the Dark Garden by using Knuckles/Rouge to dig could be Chao skulls and the shape of their heads is formed by cartilage.
One Year Later...

Chao actually DO have skulls, inside the "Fortune-Telling House" there's a Chao skull in the background.

I am horrifically late aren't I? :cry:
What, Christmas ended? Whatever, I'm leaving the decorations up!

I'm also selling a Heart Fruit, I thought buying the last would make it more valuable and increase the demand, it didn't.
Anyway it's still sold out and I'm still selling! Buy It!
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

While I agree it is a heavy implication about chao skulls, it does not necessarily guarantee it. Chaos, being very close to chao, doesn't have a boney skull, and really only has a brain and a weird sort of brain stem. And in regards to the skull in the fortune teller's room, it could very well be a fake, and for decorative purposes. I would not want to go to a real world fortune teller if they had a real human skull as decoration. This could also apply to the Dark Garden skull.
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

Even more "jiggly" in SADX 2012 on steam PC.

Image Image

This one is actually a port glitch, it doesn't happen to people with a high graphics card though.
Jack the Person
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Life is forever and only a moment.

Post by Jack the Person »

Mamkute wrote:While I agree it is a heavy implication about chao skulls, it does not necessarily guarantee it. Chaos, being very close to chao, doesn't have a boney skull, and really only has a brain and a weird sort of brain stem. And in regards to the skull in the fortune teller's room, it could very well be a fake, and for decorative purposes. I would not want to go to a real world fortune teller if they had a real human skull as decoration. This could also apply to the Dark Garden skull.
Hmm... didn't think about it that way. Very good point :chaohappy:
ChaoGardenBuster wrote:Even more "jiggly" in SADX 2012 on steam PC.

Image Image

This one is actually a port glitch, it doesn't happen to people with a high graphics card though.
I was not aware this was a graphics card glitch, well, I'm off to steal a better graphics card...
What, Christmas ended? Whatever, I'm leaving the decorations up!

I'm also selling a Heart Fruit, I thought buying the last would make it more valuable and increase the demand, it didn't.
Anyway it's still sold out and I'm still selling! Buy It!
toffyflame
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: SA2 is what I do!

Post by toffyflame »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Here's a hypothesis that could provide an in-universe explanation for many things that could be explained away by story and gameplay segregation:

The Chao Gardens are under the effects of what i'm going to call, for lack of a better term, A Biological Acceleration Field or BAF for short. The BAF is only active while a Chao Breeder is present in the Garden, affects the trees, small animals, and the Chao themselves. Its effects include, but are not necessarily limited to: Trees producing fruit ready to harvest on the order of minutes rather than weeks or months, small animals dying and fully decomposing on the order of seconds or minutes rather than months or years, Chao aging by a year in a matter of hours, Chao metamorphosis(what we commonly call first evolution) taking less than a minute, production and gestation of Eggs taking seconds rather than days or weeks, and dead chao decomposing completely in under a minute. The reason Chao outside of Gardens(including the Kindergarten Staff and Cheese) don't appear to have the same accelerated aging as Garden Chao is because they are outside the effective range of a BAF, and Chao don't appear to age when one leaves the Gardens because the BAF for a given Garden is deactivated when a Breeder leaves. Presumably, the equipment that produces the BAF would be housed within the Chao Transporter since it is the only Machine that is found in every Chao Garden.

By comparison, the TCG is equipped with a Biological Stasis field that halts most biological processes completely leaving metabolism and circadian rhythms as the only biological processes that are still readily observed.
then that would explain why sonic and his friends never age...
Sonic Adventure 2 is what I do! wish me luck on the road to 180 Emblems :surprise:
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Um. No. It wouldn't. Also they do age and Tails' age changes in like, every game.
That second stasis field would make it so nobody would be old. Every old person in the Sonic games would be a lie.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
hjusikGDV
Egg
Egg

Post by hjusikGDV »

look at the playable characters..the hedgehogs's quills, Tails and Eggman's walkers, Knuckles's shoulders
british flag Galaxy s6 edge cover
Samsung J5 cover