Crybaby experiment

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Crybaby experiment

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

So, I recently discovered that, in my attempts to ensure that my Dark Chao evolves into the Run type, I have inadvertently made him into a Crybaby. While I do think it's incredibly cute when a Chao cries (I hope that doesn't sound cruel but it probably does :( ), overall it's an undesirable and annoying personality that I'd be happy to be rid of. So, with the help of Fusion's Chao Editor, I am going to attempt (not actually using any hacks, just checking Intelligence and personality change progress with the Editor) to change my Chao's personality.

Honestly I'm not optimistic. I tried this with the Gamecube version and had little to no luck. In any case I still think it's worth a shot, especially now that I can track personality change progress with Fusion's editor (and if you ever happen upon this post Fusion it's an INCREDIBLE editor, so thanks). For the next few days I'll post updates when I observe new progress.

Also, something I've been observing with the Editor lately is that the Crybaby personality doesn't seem to affect a Chao's intelligence. My current Crybaby Chao is the same age as a Hero Chao who has an Energetic personality, and the Crybaby actually has a higher Intelligence stat.

Anyway, I'll update as I make progress.
Qnez
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Re: Crybaby experiment

Post by Qnez »

Good luck!
I use the GC version for chao so id be very interested in what you find. There isnt much reliable info on this subject so it would be nice to find some proof.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

I am happy to announce that, while limited, I have made progress. As mentioned, I currently have a dark Run Chao with the Crybaby personality. As such, my tests were directed at him. I'm sorry to say that, for the sake of research, I was forced to abuse this particular Chao. I hated it so much that I didn't save after doing it so that the poor thing wouldn't remember or have any evidence of abuse. Before I left the garden without saving after abusing him, I DID check Fusion's Chao Editor before and after I abused him. His inclination towards becoming a Crybaby, according to his data, remained the same before and after abuse. So, as far as I can tell, abusing a Chao does not make them more or less of a Crybaby.

Interestingly, as I found out AFTER quitting the game after the abuse without saving, I discovered that, by that point, he was no longer a Crybaby! Horrah! He has changed to the Carefree personality. This occurred before the abuse test, so I believe that my last experiment I performed on him might be responsible. Before the abuse test, right after I discovered he was a Crybaby, I proceeded with ignoring the Chao completely. Between then and right before I found out his personality had changed, I ignored his sobs, his tantrums, and his tears. I only interacted with him one time after I found out he was a Crybaby in order to take him to Kindergarten. Strangely, as far as I know, his Crybaby bar (in Fusion's Editor) did NOT change at all, even though his personality did. It was exactly the same. My theory is that ignoring him and allowing him to find his own food, etc., allowed his inclination towards another personality to grow, and the new personality overrode the Crybaby one.

In short, current evidence indicates that if your Chao has the Crybaby personality, he can develop a different personality to override the old one if he is ignored for long enough. I'm attempting this with my Gold Chao as well, as I believe he is also a Crybaby (I think he at least used to be, and he still throws tantrums sometimes so he might still be a Crybaby).

So we now know, it IS possible to get rid of the Crybaby personality! I'll keep researching and see what I can find out, but so far initial findings look promising. Keep your fingers crossed!
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

Once again, great news! I tried ignoring two of my Crybaby Chao for 45 minutes, and both are no longer Crybabies! This is starting to look really promising. Chao will still cry sometimes like Crybaby Chao do, but progress is looking good. Would anyone be willing to help with this by testing this method on their game? All you'd have to do is ignore a Crybaby Chao you have for 45 minutes (I just left my game running for 45 minutes unattended). I think to make this conclusive we need to test it with someone else's game.
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Post by Pratzelwurm »

I've been meaning to do research into chao personalities to see what really causes them to shift. There are a lot of theories, but I'd like to collect more actual data, such as what Chris has disclosed in this thread. Perhaps I'll do this today; I've got nothing better to do.
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool:
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

I have another update. Perhaps due to giving my dark Run Chao some stat increases from animals recently, it has reverted back to the Crybaby personality. Since this doesn't affect it's Intelligence as most people believe, I'm not bothered too much by this. My best guess is that the value of it's previous personality was overridden by an increase in the Crybaby personality value, although ignoring it may help to return it's personality to it's former state. What this tells us is that even if the Crybaby personality is successfully overridden by another personality, it can easily come back if the Chao is given too much attention. I'm about to breed two Crybaby Chao, and while I don't believe a Chao can inherit a learned personality I'll update if this brings forth any relevant information.
PrincessPeach
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by PrincessPeach »

This is really interesting. I'm not a fan of cry babies, because if I'm not mistaken, they do the tantrum cry on their back only, right? The one with the tears and shivering is only after abuse. I find the former creepy, but the latter cute. Anyhow, I'm interested to see what else you discover.