How do you name your chao?

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 3 weeks old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

How do you name your chao?

Post by Pratzelwurm »

I started up a new garden recently and have been having fun naming all my little nuggets. How do you guys choose the names of your chao? Human names? Default names? Silly names? Cute names? Cool names? Names based on appearance? Based on type?

I tend to go for sillier names, but not always. Also, my chao tend to have "full names" with an abbreviated version in the game itself.

My current group includes: Tulip, Oswald McOswald, Sharky (aka Sharkston, Sharkinator, Sharkalicious, etc.), Sapphire, Stormageddon the Unconquerable (aka Stormy), Nutmegan (get it), Babby Spinach, and Todd.
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool:
chaoko
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: S A D B O Y S

Re: How do you name your chao?

Post by chaoko »

For a while I thought the only way to name chao was by getting the names from the fortune teller, so I have a memory card with gardens full of generic named chao. After finding out how to type in names, pretty much all of them are based on appearance, stats, or are just random. I guess I never really got too creative
Examples:
Spoiler:
Ghostly = white bat parts chao
Smoke = black two tone
Eclipse = black monotone
Eagle = phoenix parts chao
Ram = sheep parts chao
Sleepy = tired eyes chao
Tiger = cheetah parts chao lol
Kong = gorilla parts chao
Pulse = fast chao
Draco = dragon parts chao
Rain = swimming chao
Egbert = egg hat chao
I gave some random human names like DJ, Bradley, Michael, and Landon
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Post by Pratzelwurm »

I decided to doodle some of mine lol
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool:
The Thunder
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by The Thunder »

For the most part, I picked names based on color and appearances. My brother picked the random name "Quartz" for a Lime Green Monotone Chao and I presume it was one of the random names from the fortune teller.

- Pudding is a Brown Monotone Chao, currently a Child Chao having reincarnated from being a Hero Swimming type.
- Caramel is a Shiny Brown Monotone Dark Swimming-type Chao, now just hours away from reincarnating.
- Mystery is a Shiny Pink Two-Tone Neutral Power-type Chao.
- Pinky is a Shiny Pink Monotone Hero Chaos Chao.
- Liquid is a Shiny Sky blue Monotone Neutral Flying-type Chao.
- Star is a Shiny White Monotone Hero Power-type Chao.
- Luna is a Blue Monotone Dark Power-type Chao.
1, 10, 100, 1000, Manjyome!! THUNDER!!
Rox64
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's OK

Post by Rox64 »

I name Chao similar to how I name fictional Characters in general. I usually either twist an actual word or make noises in my head until they collectively form something that sounds cool.

Radias is my designated hero Chao at the moment, so I twisted "Radiance" to get their name.
Elekai is my designated dark Chao, so I made noises in my head until it formed something that sounded sufficiently edgy.
Voltier is my yellow designated neutral Chao/Breeding slave, though I think I may have gotten that name from Spyro, I can't remember...
Because Roxes 1-62 died from failure to absorb the correct levels of sarcasm and weirdness.
Don't ask about Rox63. Just don't.
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

Post by Chao Professor »

I tend to go with whatever just sparks with me. Usually, the names I pick are quite cutesey and nice. I find I'm more attached to a chao when they have a lovely name :herosway: On my older memory cards, my chao are named things like Honey, Bubbles, Ducky, Puddles, Milky and the like. I wasn't a creative 9 year old.
Last edited by Chao Professor on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image It's still thinking...
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: They ruined my home!

Post by epcthunderfist987 »

I name mine based on a few different factors:

1: What game was I playing before SA2B

2: What themes I can find in said games.

3: Ideas from when I was younger. And by that I mean when I was in middle school.

4: Random ideas.

5: Anime.

I pick from those 5 factors, and think with them in mind.

For example, Say the last game I played was Metal Gear Solid. I'd think about the characters and pick a name based off one of those characters, like Solidus or something. :p

Also, my current Chao garden data contains the following: Douglas, Crappi, Solana, Thunder, LunalaM, Judai, Shelli, Joey, and a currently unnamed Chao.
Crappi's Codec frequency: 149.87

Lyn's Codec frequency: 140.64
Chaos soda
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: "Primal Venom"

Post by Chaos soda »

I recently have been trying to make cuter names. I used to not even know you could name it yourself and that's why my main chao is named chacha while newer chaos of mine are named things like achuu and kapow
“Sonic shot Eggman in the face for being evil, and grew a beard so he could impersonate him“ - https://talktotransformer.com
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Post by ChillyChao »

I used to pick names that the fortune teller gave me. I knew that you could name your Chao whatever the hell you wanted but i never knew how. So then i did learn how and that's why i'm here today. Here are some of my Chao name meanings.
Nagoshi (Originally NAGOSHI) = Fortune Teller Name
Cheng = Fortune Teller Name
Ocean = He was a blue Chao (And before he reincarnated he could swim)
Edge = Fortune Teller Name that was too funny to pass up (Also, that was my mom's old rap name i found out and i imagine that Edge would be a rapper even now that he is reincarnated and is a little boi)
Neo = He looked kinda neon (he's a Shadow Chao) so neo was a cool name for him.
Lucky = She's green. 10/10 Mindblowing concept.
;) = I don't even know? I just like stupid names, like, my names in SA1 are moronic.
JNY JNY = That weird YouTube kids video that PopularMMOs and Chadtronic reacted too.
Skurb = Sounded like an Animal Jam YouTuber so i went with it. (Even though Animal Jam is pretty much dead now and not even the biggest AJ YouTubers are getting alot of views anymore and the rest are quitting)
Now my SA1 names...
HMLTN = Peter Knetter video reference.
BUTT = I'm immature.
⭐EMOJI = I don't know.
Amy Ros = She was a pink Chao, so wynaut?
Luna = She was a Silver Chao, so she looked like a Luna.
These are just my PlayStation 4 Chao. I have more on my computer. Also, these aren't all of my PS4 chao, either.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
ElectricKoatHanger
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: #Kony2012

Post by ElectricKoatHanger »

I typically name my chao normal human guy names, like Scott or Walter. I just think it's funny giving these adorable little fairy creatures these masculine sounding names.
Runasutaru
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Be the punching bag!

Post by Runasutaru »

It varies, but my main method is namesmithing.
Sometimes, I do it entirely from scratch by mashing together phonetics that I think will fit the current/future appearance of the Chao or a vague personality I have in mind for them. Other times, I start with one or two real words as a base (often derived from English and/or Portuguese and/or Japanese), distort them, and then add flourishes. More rarely, I have regular names (Edwin), reference names (Nines, Toobie, Kyubey, Homura, etc.), or bad puns (full egg Chao called Example).
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

I have also have a few factors for naming Chao...

One thing I take into consideration is their appearence and/or color. Some examples of this would be August (who's shiny and green like the August birthstone, Peridot), Louie (He's Blue-ie!), Piccy (Who's a silver Chao, so I thought she looked like the same type of metal of a Flute, so I considered naming her Piccolo, but I thought it would be too reminiscent of the DBZ Character, so I shortened it to Piccy), and Shiro (he's a spooky shiny white Chao!).

I also have just put together random letters or a specific letter to create a name, my best examples being Zyklomo (I made random noises!), Solorix (ditto, but I really like that name also), and Quiver (because I felt the letter Q needed more love, and I couldn't think of very many words that started with Q).

I also occasionally make Chao based on other Sonic characters. In one of my Gardens, I have a Mono-Tone White Dark Power Chao with Bear parts named Bark after Bark the Polar Bear, and in SADX, I have both a White and Gray Dark Chao with Skunk parts named Rough and Tumble, after the characters from IDW.

And on very rare occasions (I say very rare because the Chao needs to be very active before I name them), I'll name them after certain actions or animations they do that give them extra personality, my best example being Fall, who has a tendency to fall. A lot.
Akuhime-sama
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: "You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry"

Post by Akuhime-sama »

I name all my characters/chao/pets/Pokémon/etc pretty much the same way. If they have features that make me think of a character in an Anime, Movie, Video Game, or other media source, I'll name them after that.
Or, I'll just choose names I like. But I only get down to the "name-smithing" names, when I've ran out other options and I can't come up with names. Naming characters is probably the hardest part to do, I've found.

It also doesn't help that I'm terrible with names IRL, lol.
a chao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: "Ima outta here!"

Post by a chao »

In SA and SADX go to the Chao transport machine and there should be a option to name your chao if you brought it. In SA2 and SA2B bring your chao to the kindergarten and go to the fortune teller and she will name your chao or you can ask for more 3 times and you can name it your self.
chao are cool as heck :cool:
Sinful Shadow
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Sinful Shadow »

I’m terrible at naming things so as a kid my cousin with who I always played SA/SA2 with would name them all but nowadays I just cycle through the default names the fortune teller gives them till I find a name that isn’t total trash
FrankT
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: I gotta get back to the Island!

Post by FrankT »

When I first started documenting my Chao's development, I gave them names from films I'd been watching at the time. The first batch was named after characters from The Thief and the Cobbler, so there was Tack, Zigzag, Yumyum... unfortunately this meant that I named two after "Slap and tickle" - a lighthearted British slang term for sexual activity. (I was young, I didn't know any better! :darkcry:)

I also named some of my Chao after characters from Eddsworld and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Beyond that, I let the fortune teller pick some names for me, some of which were changed over time. Of course, some were made by myself (Tuggles, Hugzie... I wanted them to sound cute).
Check my new blog: Tails Chao Love ME!
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE - Chao Caring Do's & Don'ts ^^
Ah, the sounds of heaven on earth....
Chaorrin
Egg
Egg

Post by Chaorrin »

All of my chaos are named anagrams of Levitus until I have an idea of the personality I sort of impose on them; then they get a name that more fits that.
Eru
Motto: bread

Post by Eru »

Extremely erratically. I might name them something cool, like once I named a bunch of chao after Persona 5 magics depending on their colours, or I might name them a garble of letters or AAAAAAA. Im terrible with names lol
mooncow smells
krzys2
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher
Motto: The key of making chao happy...Is good fruit

Post by krzys2 »

Usually I don't give chao a name, until they do something interesting. Like once my chao got name cause he randomly equipped hat in garden(or maybe I accidentally gave it to him while thinking its a fruit). Others maybe people I know, or names of my characters in games.
Image Image Image Image
Legends will never die, so will not cookies
Mztable
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Emulation is the key to techs past.

Post by Mztable »

go to the fortune teller, why sega decided to make it that way, I dunno.
:heroblink: :omochao:
Sonicjan
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Sonicjan »

I like names from the Fortune Teller gives, like Chaoko or something like that.

So I usually pick a cool sounding word or name and use Chao somewhere in the word or name.

Like Chaomy, Chaoby and so on. :herocool:
Momora
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Do not assume you were let in through hospitality.

Post by Momora »

I just name them human names because it makes me a bit more attached to them. But I do go for more outlandish names sometimes, like Moss. Or I just name them random gibberish names.
Wait a minute, signatures exist? Basabweh!:darkcool:
Liliawinx
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Chao are the cutest beings ever

Post by Liliawinx »

Sometimes I give them names from the fortune telling house, like my Chao Quartz, Star and Spike. I named one Chaomi and a blue Chao Berry, with its child being Cosmos. Some doesn't make sense, like a unlucky Chao called Lucky or a shiny brown being Choco (despite not being quite the right color). Mostly, because I like them. :thinking: