Chao Garden design ideas

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Chao Garden design ideas

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

So I'm currently building a Chao Garden game in Unity, and after working on some scripts for behavior (mainly establishing the baseline scripting for a working mood system) I've decided to start designing gardens. I have a couple of ideas for gardens already, but I'm very open to suggestions. These are my ideas so far:

Crystal Cave garden- Giant crystal cavern. Fruit falls in from small shafts in the walls. If you ever played the level in SA1 where you were in a giant snowy cave, it would be a lot like that.
Autumn garden- Similar to the Neutral Garden from SA2, but much bigger with autumn color scheme.
Mushroom garden- Garden with giant mushrooms.
Tropical garden- Basically a big tropical island with a Hawaii theme, a lot like something out of the movie Cast Away.
Chao Castle- Indoor garden with big swimming pool in center.
Block garden- Chao garden minecraft-style.
Hive garden- Chao garden themed after a beehive.
Possibly all of the gardens from the original games, it might be kind of cool to recreate them and put them into the game.

I'm focusing mainly on size right now, I really want the new gardens to be a lot bigger than the ones from SA1 & 2 (couldn't stand how small the Neutral Garden in SA2 was) and feature a teleporting system to organize Chao to make sure you don't lose track of them. I'll post another thread with more details on this game a little later into it's development.

If anyone has any suggestions for gardens I'd love to hear them, I'm hoping to put as many gardens as possible into this game.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: Chao Garden design ideas

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

The most obvious one you didn't mention is probably the Emerald Alter as seen in The Past in SA1. It's implied to have been the original Chao Garden, so a modern recreation should be a no brainer.
JamminNekoSoaper
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL!!!! O(≧▽≦)O

Post by JamminNekoSoaper »

I wanna see a garden that has what the GC version left out of the hero & dark gardens (the stream & bridge connected to the gazebo & fountain then mountain & cave connected to the cage & pool) all in the style of the neutral garden.
I also wanna see a frog forest garden made as a playground for the chao with natural slides like big leaves, things to bounce on like mushrooms & swings made from tree roots from underneath floating pieces of land, etc.
Last edited by JamminNekoSoaper on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOWHAHOWOOHOOHOORAYYAHOOYEEHAWYIHAWWEE~
Image Image
AAAAAWYEAH!! PARTYY HARDYYYY!!!! (\^w^)/ ° \(^w^/)
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:The most obvious one you didn't mention is probably the Emerald Alter as seen in The Past in SA1. It's implied to have been the original Chao Garden, so a modern recreation should be a no brainer.
Actually I left that one off because I thought it wasn't big enough to be a garden, but looking at a picture of it I think it could work. I'd just need to be sure there's enough room for something like the Chao Transporter. I just finished building a level so I may try building that next.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

JamminNekoSoaper wrote:I wanna see a garden that has what the GC version left out of the hero & dark gardens (the stream & bridge connected to the gazebo & fountain then mountain & cave connected to the cage & pool) all in the style of the neutral garden.
I also wanna see a frog forest garden made as a playground for the chao with natural slides like big leaves, things to bounce on like mushrooms & swings made from tree roots from underneath floating pieces of land, etc.
The swamp garden sounds kind of cool. The slide should be doable, not sure about the other stuff you suggested. Can you show me a picture of what you mean about "what the GC version left out"? Do you just mean a fusion of all three gardens?
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^Here's the page on the gardens in SA2DC. The page states the differences in the "Trivia" section and the Dark Garden has a picture of the removed area.

Also a garden based on Chao Ruins would be cool.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
JamminNekoSoaper
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

ChrisOfChaos wrote: The swamp garden sounds kind of cool. The slide should be doable, not sure about the other stuff you suggested. Can you show me a picture of what you mean about "what the GC version left out"? Do you just mean a fusion of all three gardens?
Here's a video of the Dreamcast Gardens, I forgot to mention the tree above the cave connected to the cage & that the stream runs underneath the mountain. I think it would be a good tribute to combine the Hero & Dark Dreamcast Gardens with a little bit of the Neutral Garden. (being the mountain/cave part) & make more fun stuff for the Chao to do like sliding, bouncing & swinging on stuff in the garden. But you should focus on the original material first I guess, like the personalities, behaviors & actions that Chao already have. I love that if you raise a Hero Chao & Neutral Chao to be friends that they can stop a Bully Chao from attacking other Chao 2 different ways, (The Hero pushes the Bully down while the Neutral dashes & knocks the Bully down) makes sense since the Bully Chao has 2 different ways of attacking Chao. (Punching & Ramming them down) I also love watching Chao hop & spin around or doing somersaults & of course playing with toys & DANCING~ :chaohappy:
Image Image
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

JamminNekoSoaper wrote:
ChrisOfChaos wrote: The swamp garden sounds kind of cool. The slide should be doable, not sure about the other stuff you suggested. Can you show me a picture of what you mean about "what the GC version left out"? Do you just mean a fusion of all three gardens?
Here's a video of the Dreamcast Gardens, I forgot to mention the tree above the cave connected to the cage & that the stream runs underneath the mountain. I think it would be a good tribute to combine the Hero & Dark Dreamcast Gardens with a little bit of the Neutral Garden. (being the mountain/cave part) & make more fun stuff for the Chao to do like sliding, bouncing & swinging on stuff in the garden. But you should focus on the original material first I guess, like the personalities, behaviors & actions that Chao already have. I love that if you raise a Hero Chao & Neutral Chao to be friends that they can stop a Bully Chao from attacking other Chao 2 different ways, (The Hero pushes the Bully down while the Neutral dashes & knocks the Bully down) makes sense since the Bully Chao has 2 different ways of attacking Chao. (Punching & Ramming them down) I also love watching Chao hop & spin around or doing somersaults & of course playing with toys & DANCING~ :chaohappy:
Wow. I had no idea the gardens looked so different in the Dreamcast version. I may uninstall the SA2B DLC just to see these gardens for myself. I kind of get why they took the graveyard out of the Dark Garden, but I wonder why they removed the bridge from the Hero Garden?
JamminNekoSoaper
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

ChrisOfChaos wrote: Wow. I had no idea the gardens looked so different in the Dreamcast version. I may uninstall the SA2B DLC just to see these gardens for myself. I kind of get why they took the graveyard out of the Dark Garden, but I wonder why they removed the bridge from the Hero Garden?
Yeah, Chao were getting stuck underneath the bridge in the stream at the Hero Garden & the Dark Garden was too buggy so that's why they changed them in the GC version. I like the original Gardens better, especially the Dark Garden with all the symbols on the wall in the cave & that goblet where the blood seems to come from. I think they added a number of rituals you could do which was one of the reasons it was so buggy. I remember if you took a Chao Egg & placed 10 Chaos Drives around it in a circle you could hatch the last Chao that died from that Egg. I used it to resurrect my Bully Chao because it never reincarnated & needed to steal Strong Fruit from other Chao to live longer. I think making a Bully Chao is like a dark ritual or something cause you have to abuse it equally with all 6 characters & spoil another Chao infront of it until it starts ramming down Chao & stealing their food. I made a guide on how to make 1 if you want to check it out.
Image Image
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Wait, was there really Chao Necromancy in SA2DC?

The Station Square Garden was also different in SA1DC. If I remember correctly, in the DC version:
The was no Black Market.
The pond had two statues in the corners instead of one in the middle.
Where the exit is in SADX, there was a hallway leading to an elevator in SA1DC.

No idea if the Egg Carrier and Mystic Ruins gardens were altered in the port to GC, but probably considering how many little things got changed in porting.

And yeah, the Emerald Altar isn't that big by itself, but I figure it could serve as a center piece and as the Garden's pond area and then have an open field or large courtyard surrounding it, perhaps with other stone structures for Chao to play on/around. And if you went the courtyard route, you could have an outer stone wall serve as the Garden's boundary and avoid the need for an invisible wall. Of course, the layout should have either seven or eight fold rotational symmetry based either on seven pillars for the Chaos Emeralds and no defined "front" or seven pillars for the Chaos Emeralds and and empty eighth slot that serves as the path to approach the altar.