Talking about unused Chao!

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
InkSelenaX
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: When you're in, there's no turning back

Talking about unused Chao!

Post by InkSelenaX »

Basically, they are chao that are completely unused within SA2B and later versions, though, most of them are unused in the later versions.

-FIRST BATCH-
Image Image

Of course, you know these 5 rangers from the races. However, for some reason, in later versions of SA2, they were replaced with their shiny forms instead, though, it's completely unknown of why they become unused in the later versions.

-SECOND BATCH-

:omochao: Honestly, everyone knows that these were used specifically for races, however, I believe Omochao was originally an actual and unlockable chao, not just because he looks like one, but some unused voice clips for him actually sounded like it would've been perfect for him being an actual chao, and kinda hinted at it a bit. (OMG. IM SUCH A NEERRRRRDDDDD) :omochao:

-FINAL BATCH-

You know what, I find these two unused chao interesting, because they look absolutely beautiful design wise, though, the first one is obtainable, ever since SA2B and onwards, it's become unusable since, as for the other one, I wish it was usable, but alas, it wasn't meant to be...
Nerds are ok, and so are you! :omochao:
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: ayylmao

Re: Talking about unused Chao!

Post by dustyoni »

The very last Chao is lovely. :chaocry:
I waaaaant!
:darkblink: :blink: :heroblink:
party time
InkSelenaX
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by InkSelenaX »

dustyoni wrote:The very last Chao is lovely. :chaocry:
I waaaaant!
I know, right?! I mean... I wish it was a Chao you could obtain in some way...
But again, there's no way to get it unless you hack it in. :darkno:
Otherwise, it's unobtainable... :darkcry:
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by dustyoni »

InkSelenaX wrote:
dustyoni wrote:The very last Chao is lovely. :chaocry:
I waaaaant!
I know, right?! I mean... I wish it was a Chao you could obtain in some way...
But again, there's no way to get it unless you hack it in. :darkno:
Otherwise, it's unobtainable... :darkcry:
It says the one above it is obtainable? Would you happen to know how? Is it in the original SA or SADX? And can it be transferred to SA2/b?
I only have the game on consoles so I can't really do any hacking. One day I'd like to get it all on PC so I can do that sort of thing.

The look pretty cute as well... :chaocry: :chaocry: :chaocry:
party time
InkSelenaX
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by InkSelenaX »

^

Actually... I seem to have the answer for you! :darksurprise:
You see, the blue one above the pink one is a Moon Chao, and it's only obtainable in the Dreamcast port of SA2 and probably even SA1, and I believe that you need at least 100 emblems to obtain it. From what I can recall, it's from the online black market, and since it's only obtainable through there, it seems clearly impossible to obtain such a Chao in DX or Battle. So, basically, that's the only legitimate way to get a Moon Chao. :darkblink:

Also, I feel like calling the last Chao a Pearl Chao, since there isn't an actual name associated with it and for the fact that it's color scheme closely resembles that of a pink pearl in particular. I say this because I don't want to keep calling it the very last Chao and I really want to give it a proper name so you don't have to constantly say "the very last chao", besides, I know it gets tiring to type it in over and over again. :darksway:
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

...Eh?

I thought this was what a Moon chao looked like.

I find the last two chao pretty intriguing regardless.

Also, Fusion's Editor lets you change the texture shown on a chao, I don't know if they're unused or are simply other textures found in the game, or if they're just bundled with the editor,
but I'd say the results are pretty interesting.
Spoiler:

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by dustyoni »

InkSelenaX wrote:
You see, the blue one above the pink one is a Moon Chao, and it's only obtainable in the Dreamcast port of SA2 and probably even SA1, and I believe that you need at least 100 emblems to obtain it. From what I can recall, it's from the online black market, and since it's only obtainable through there, it seems clearly impossible to obtain such a Chao in DX or Battle. So, basically, that's the only legitimate way to get a Moon Chao. :darkblink:

Also, I feel like calling the last Chao a Pearl Chao, since there isn't an actual name associated with it and for the fact that it's color scheme closely resembles that of a pink pearl in particular. I say this because I don't want to keep calling it the very last Chao and I really want to give it a proper name so you don't have to constantly say "the very last chao", besides, I know it gets tiring to type it in over and over again. :darksway:
Is it a Moon Chao? I thought a Moon Chao was different.
Maybe it is? If it's not, I wonder what it actually is???

Pearl Chao sounds like a fitting and cute name for the pink one! I like that a lot. :chaohappy:

Sad to know I can't get the blue one regardless, even though I have SA on the Dreamcast I mostly just play SA2B for Chao. :darkcry:
I am rather clumsy on the Dreamcast controls in the gardens.
party time
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by dustyoni »

chaoadventures wrote:...Eh?

Yeah!! I thought that was what a Moon Chao was. Maybe it is, but is displaying differently since it's a different game??
That editor sounds like so much fun, I hope to mess with it one day.
party time
InkSelenaX
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by InkSelenaX »

I thought this was what a Moon chao looked like.

I find the last two chao pretty intriguing regardless.

Also, Fusion's Editor lets you change the texture shown on a chao, I don't know if they're unused or are simply other textures found in the game, or if they're just bundled with the editor,
but I'd say the results are pretty interesting.
Spoiler:

Huh... interesting... ...well, they're unused textures, last time I checked. ...and the last time I checked was pretty much 5 minutes ago. ...Also, I didn't even know THAT was a Moon Chao, to be honest... ...though, the unused model is actually documented as a Moon Chao according to plenty of the other sources that I researched on. So, I'm not sure if it is or not, though. since the unused side of the Chao garden seems to be poorly documented, there isn't a way for me to agree nor disagree with that statement, since it could be either right or wrong :darkno:
InkSelenaX
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by InkSelenaX »

dustyoni wrote:

Yeah!! I thought that was what a Moon Chao was. Maybe it is, but is displaying differently since it's a different game??
That editor sounds like so much fun, I hope to mess with it one day.
Yes, that could most likely be the case! besides, the Bright Chao exists as most likely a displaying issue when moved on to next gen consoles. So, it could be the reason, and yes, the editor is fun! :darkhappy:
...Ironically enough though, I never tried it out :darkno:
InkSelenaX
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by InkSelenaX »

dustyoni wrote:
InkSelenaX wrote:

Is it a Moon Chao? I thought a Moon Chao was different.
Maybe it is? If it's not, I wonder what it actually is???

Pearl Chao sounds like a fitting and cute name for the pink one! I like that a lot. :chaohappy:

Sad to know I can't get the blue one regardless, even though I have SA on the Dreamcast I mostly just play SA2B for Chao. :darkcry:
I am rather clumsy on the Dreamcast controls in the gardens.
You know what, the unused Blue Chao is actually documented as a Moon Chao according to other sources. Though, honestly, It looks like it has Chaos' color palette if you examine it. It might've been either a leftover or maybe a different variant of a Moon Chao... who knows? ...I don't. :darkno: But it's very likely that it's a possibly a totally different Chao.

Also, not to mention that they look like Jewel Chao in a lot of ways... ...that's how I thought about the Pearl Chao... ...possibly it's the same thing with the Blue one, however, I believe that because of the fact there was already a blue jewel Chao to begin with, they might've scrapped it, which is a huge shame... :darkcry:

...But, that's just a theory... ...A GAME THEOR- ok no.
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by dustyoni »

InkSelenaX wrote: You know what, the unused Blue Chao is actually documented as a Moon Chao according to other sources. Though, honestly, It looks like it has Chaos' color palette if you examine it. It might've been either a leftover or maybe a different variant of a Moon Chao... who knows? ...I don't. :darkno: But it's very likely that it's a possibly a totally different Chao.

Also, not to mention that they look like Jewel Chao in a lot of ways... ...that's how I thought about the Pearl Chao... ...possibly it's the same thing with the Blue one, however, I believe that because of the fact there was already a blue jewel Chao to begin with, they might've scrapped it, which is a huge shame... :darkcry:

... A GAAAME THEORY (I had to finish that, I am so sorry).

But I always understood a Moon Chao to be what chaoadventures posted.

It could have been a Moon Chao variant, maybe even the first attempt? Or second attempt??
Sadly I don't think we'll ever know for sure. :thinking:

... What matters to me is that they're all cute lmao.

I wish they were all available, I really do. Every time I think I've learned everything, I find out something else. :chaocry:
party time
InkSelenaX
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by InkSelenaX »

dustyoni wrote:
InkSelenaX wrote: You know what, the unused Blue Chao is actually documented as a Moon Chao according to other sources. Though, honestly, It looks like it has Chaos' color palette if you examine it. It might've been either a leftover or maybe a different variant of a Moon Chao... who knows? ...I don't. :darkno: But it's very likely that it's a possibly a totally different Chao.

... A GAAAME THEORY (I had to finish that, I am so sorry).

But I always understood a Moon Chao to be what chaoadventures posted.

It could have been a Moon Chao variant, maybe even the first attempt? Or second attempt??
Sadly I don't think we'll ever know for sure. :thinking:

... What matters to me is that they're all cute lmao.

I wish they were all available, I really do. Every time I think I've learned everything, I find out something else. :chaocry:
(Oh gosh, that's ok XD)

Also, yeah... I thought so too... ...it was most likely a second attempt, since it's only in SA2's files and not the first.

And yes, that there is true at the end of the day :darksway: By the way, that happens to me a lot too, once I find out something, someone else seems to find it, too. Though, I sometime try and speculate about said thing, however, it isn't always correct, so, it's usually hit or miss, but, I know that if we all work together, we will eventually find out the answer :darkhappy:
LimitCrown
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by LimitCrown »

Regarding the last set of unused Chao that you posted, that pink Chao is indeed a Pearl Chao. The texture that it uses is the same as the one that is used for the Pearl Medal. Also, I'm sure that the picture that chaoadventures showed is the Moon Chao that was available from SA2's Black Market page. A Chao with the same texture is used for the Moon Chao icon, too.

Regarding the bluish Chao, though, I don't know much about it. I guess that they decided to not make that texture available. Related to this, SADX and SA2B have their own set of unused Jewel Chao as well. Along with the Pearl Chao, there are three other Chao with unique textures that didn't appear in the Dreamcast version of SA2, to my knowledge. Here is a picture of them, including the Pearl Chao.

The internal names of the textures of these Chao in the AL_BODY.pvm are ali_medal_pearl, al_metal0, al_metal1, and al_glass, respectively. The internal name of the texture for the Moon Chao is al_golf. I don't know what materials or other objects these textures besides the Moon Chao one were meant to represent. It's also odd that they made more Chao textures that they didn't use. Perhaps they intended to make them available through a special event.
InkSelenaX
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by InkSelenaX »

LimitCrown wrote:Regarding the last set of unused Chao that you posted, that pink Chao is indeed a Pearl Chao. The texture that it uses is the same as the one that is used for the Pearl Medal. Also, I'm sure that the picture that chaoadventures showed is the Moon Chao that was available from SA2's Black Market page. A Chao with the same texture is used for the Moon Chao icon, too.

Regarding the bluish Chao, though, I don't know much about it. I guess that they decided to not make that texture available. Related to this, SADX and SA2B have their own set of unused Jewel Chao as well. Along with the Pearl Chao, there are three other Chao with unique textures that didn't appear in the Dreamcast version of SA2, to my knowledge. Here is a picture of them, including the Pearl Chao.

The internal names of the textures of these Chao in the AL_BODY.pvm are ali_medal_pearl, al_metal0, al_metal1, and al_glass, respectively. The internal name of the texture for the Moon Chao is al_golf. I don't know what materials or other objects these textures besides the Moon Chao one were meant to represent. It's also odd that they made more Chao textures that they didn't use. Perhaps they intended to make them available through a special event.

Wow, good call! Honestly, I didn't even know that was the actual Chao name, I just decided to name it a "Pearl Chao" for the sake of not repeating sentences to explain the thing and I never even noticed the texture similarities, since I haven't played SADX at the time and because I got it now and done some of the Chao races, I can definitely see where you're coming from with your statement.

Oh, I never knew that those 3 other Chao even existed, I mean... I've only seen the unused SA2 Chao being talked about, not those, however, I do find them quite interesting! I really love the last one, since it looks so shiny and pretty to look at! Along with them, in order, I would just call them by Metal Chao, Steel Chao, and Glass Chao respectively. And I agree, it's so strange that they were never used... and yeah, that last statement might be true... since, there were some events distributed to those who had the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure, but, whatever the reason might be, it's still strange and sad for them to become unused. Also, that makes me wonder why the Pearl Chao was transferred over to the sequel... ...I guess we may never know the reason.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

"Metal0" and "Metal1" both look like Silver chao, so maybe scrapped Platinum and Diamond chao? Maybe different attempts to make a new Silver chao texture?
InkSelenaX wrote: there were some events distributed to those who had the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure
Hm. I've heard of events for SA2B chao (scroll down on this page for more), but not SADC, but I can see VMU events being planned pretty easily.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
InkSelenaX
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by InkSelenaX »

chaoadventures wrote:"Metal0" and "Metal1" both look like Silver chao, so maybe scrapped Platinum and Diamond chao? Maybe different attempts to make a new Silver chao texture?
InkSelenaX wrote: there were some events distributed to those who had the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure
Hm. I've heard of events for SA2B chao (scroll down on this page for more), but not SADC, but I can see VMU events being planned pretty easily.
Nah, that can't be right... I mean, they already had a texture for the Silver Chao and the Diamond and Platinum Chao are a possibility... and what's funny about it is that those, along with the Pearl Chao are unused, besides, I think they are interesting design wise.

As for the events, yes, they were, there was the 2000 millennial event, which was distributed via the VMU. There are more, but, I would suggest going to SPEEPSHighway's YouTube channel for more information about these types of events. However, I'm not sure if there are Chao events for SA1... I'm going to have to look it up later on.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I messaged Speeps about this thread and got some helpful clarification. There are two different sets of unused Chao depending on whether you're referring to the Dreamcast version or the Gamecube version. The only Chao exclusive to the Dreamcast selection are the Kid Troops Chao Rangers.

The most likely reason for changing from these Chao Rangers to Shiny Chao for the race is because they weren't too distinct from the Jewel Chao. Speeps speculates that the Rangers are the Pearl texture recolored, since Speeps never found an actual texture file for the texture used by the Chao Rangers. That also provides the base concept for what would become Color Chao and Shiny Chao, since they are just color applied to textures. This could just mean that Shiny Chao literally replaced Chao Rangers, rather than just taking their place.

What should be noted is that Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast only had six Jewel Chao: Silver, Gold, Amethyst, Sapphire, Ruby (later renamed Garnet), and Emerald, with the last four requiring an outside source, like the Black Market or an event. Their textures were based on the races, which means there could be an obtainable Pearl Chao, but both Speeps and Sable haven't had such luck beyond the four mentioned.

The Jewel Chao from SA1 were transferable to SA2, and the only other one officially introduced was the Moon Chao, which has maintained the same "golf" texture since SA2. It is likely that the Orange Ranger inspired the Topaz Chao, though the rest just look like duller versions of the Jewel Chao of the time. While Unused Chao #1 on the Dreamcast page could have just been another version of metal0 or metal1, it could have also been the texture Speeps believes was used for the Chao Rangers.

There has been a lot of time to speculate over the unused textures for the A-Life Body, but not much in ways of official statements. The collection of textures in particular also stores those for the types of Chao, headgear, and many other features, so it is unclear if metal0, metal1, glass, or even Pearl for that matter, were even meant to be Chao. We just haven't found places where they are used otherwise, and are left just to speculate.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

When setting the jewel chao values (or texture values) higher than the last jewel chao on the list (topaz) the value will just skip to the next texture on the list.
In the picture above the jewel chao texture starts at "al_jewel_gold" and ends at "al_jewel_topaz". Setting the value any higher than topaz skips to the next texture on the list which is in this case "ali_medal_pearl" and in the picture it is currently on "al_amy00" which tells us it's a texture used for an amy chao loaded on a child chao.