Popularity of Chao in Other Places

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Mamkute
Moderator General
Moderator General

Popularity of Chao in Other Places

Post by Mamkute » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:17 am

I was directed to a post on Reddit discussing chao. It is pretty funny to see people be so surprised about things most of us take for granted (there are multiple gardens? There are chao that look like Shadow?) I find it really great to see people remember chao, and to just see how many people do, too. And how many people say chao need to return. Plus it is so fun and innocent. Although I am not linking because language, so maybe innocent is not the best descriptor in some ways.

But I guess as a more general point of discussion, have you seen chao be discussed elsewhere beyond CI? When? What sort of response did they have to chao? I guess most people just recall chao, and SA2B and SADX in general, as a fond but distant childhood memory. Do you know of people who enjoyed Sonic Adventures but disliked chao? Discuss general reception to the chao raising from a non-CI perspective.

chaoadventures
Mystical Halloween Winner
Mystical Halloween Winner
Motto: "Man, I'm never taking another 24-hour shift again."

Re: Popularity of Chao in Other Places

Post by chaoadventures » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:38 am

I usually see it when I look at something relating to SA2B, such as Youtube comments, people looking for info on mods for the PC version, or otherwise passing thoughts on SA2B.

The response is usually either "oh man I loved those little guys they're better than the main game" or "why did they put the last 5 or so emblems behind these losers".
Mostly the first one.

also this

Crazo3077
CI Project Manager
CI Project Manager
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:30 pm

I've met people who say they just played City Escape and then played with the Chao, and they'll say this just from the mention of Sonic Adventure 2. I don't have the down time to look around the web as much anymore, so I don't see much that isn't from people I already know.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui

Jeffery Mewtamer
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Motto: Lover of all things cute and magical

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:35 pm

They occasionally get a mention in the SADX and SA2B general hacking threads on Sonic Retro, but they're usually brief and often mention them in a purely technical sense and often as a small aspect of some larger mod.

Other than that, Sonic in general seldom gets mentioned on the parts of the Internet I frequent, and mentions of Chao are rarer still.
Just so you know, I am blind.

Those who approach life like a child playing a game, moving and pushing pieces, possess the power of kings.

Annadog40
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Annadog40 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:23 am

On my other forum, I like to give others chao avatars, few knew what they were but most groaned when they saw yet another chao avatar.

Chao Professor
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: "Just what in blazes are you doing back there?!"

Post by Chao Professor » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 pm

None of my friends really know much about Sonic, let alone chao, so I don't find myself discussing anything chao-related at school. Or anywhere else but online, really. The fanbase tends to have positive outlooks on the Adventure games, and chao have to be one of the most memorable aspects of them. I haven't really met anyone who straight up disliked the chao garden, and as that video proves, alot of us want it to return.

RoarkVegeta
Egg
Egg

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:43 pm

It's still pretty well known on Youtube. Getting it remastered certainly helps.

Not the same level as the mileseeveeprower days, but if you search "chao garden" or similar by upload date, there's something probably every day.