Possible (NEW) Chao Garden for Sonic's 25 Anniversary?

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
AzureChao
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Dreams are eternal...

Possible (NEW) Chao Garden for Sonic's 25 Anniversary?

Post by AzureChao »

I mean, the fans want it, and seeing how much fan service was in the 20th anniversary game (Sonic Generations) they may finally do something with a chao garden.

I'd love to see a Chai Garden app, or a 3DS Chao Garden! Of course, both are probably unlikely since SEGA has seemed to forgotten about Chao. Oh well, guess we'll have to wait and see.
Azure (noun) - A bright blue color, like a cloudless summer sky.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Possible (NEW) Chao Garden for Sonic's 25 Anniversary?

Post by chaoadventures »

The Chao fans make up only a section of the overall Sonic fans (Although, if the user count here means anything there's at least around 10,000 fans of chao) and then there's the fact that the current style of gameplay in the main Sonic games is boosting, which with the way Sonic barely can turn left and right wouldn't work well for the Chao Gardens and I think they have good enough judgement on that problem.

So basically;

Amount of fans + current main game style (boosting) = no Chao Gardens.

At least when looking at it that way.

On the other hand, many a person has speculated that the next Sonic game for Sonic's 25th will be Sonic Adventure 3 (Depending on how you interpret some of the Sonic Twitter's posts.)
So, if they wanted to carry that out, they'd probably include chao.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

I'm kind of nervous for a new chao garden. I'm always pessimistic about newer games and wondering how much they'll change for the worse rather then the better. But that doesn't mean I don't want a new chao garden, if a new game had a real chao garden *not looking at you sonic chronicles >:3* i'd get that as fast as I can if I had the right system! :D
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Post by Goat »

The topic title is practically clickbait!
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

+1 to Chao fans being a small minority within the larger Sonic Fanbase, though even at the highest level, the major factions are probably too divided to ever make a decent game that appeals to the vast majority. I think the appropriate expression in troper speak is broken base taken up to 11.

Also, I don't see how Modern Sonic's boost-heavy gameplay precludes the inclusion of a Chao Garden. Chao raising didn't really fit anyone's main game play style in the Adventure games, and in Adventure 2, two of the characters play completely differently between the gardens and the main game, but that clash of gameplay style didn't stop Dreamcast-Era Sonic Team from introducing Chao, and we wouldn't be having this conversation had they allowed such.

Granted, since I'm fairly sure the only thing Present-day Sonic Team has in common with Dreamcast-Era Sonic Team is the name and sometimes getting the blame for things done by teams Sonic got outsourced to, I'm not confident Present-day Sonic Team, or any team the 25th Anniversary game got outsourced to, could do Chao justice. Hell, given how long it's been, I'm not sure the original Chao Team could do them justice if re-united and given all Chao-related code and assets to work with.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Post by Goat »

If I recall, chao were meant to slow down gameplay for both adventure games.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

What makes the boosting games so bad to adapt to chao, is the way Sonic moves.

Let me give you this situation:

A chao is sitting away from Sonic, diagonally and just far enough to make the game not give the action pop-up that says to pick up/pet/whatever.

If Sonic tried to move towards that chao, he would run past it.

This is because in the boost games:

- Sonic can barely move left and right while moving forward, making the player have to constantly stop and turn to get where they want. (Even while not boosting, actually it gets worse.)

- Sonic when moves forward on the ground, he accelerates extremely fast, making the player miss their destination anyways.

- Now while you could just make Sonic move diagonally towards the chao, you'd be moving too fast to stop and pick up the chao. If not, then you might pass up the chao attempting to get closer to it
just because of how hard it is to change you direction.

The biggest example of this is City Escape in Sonic Generations, which tries to have open spaces to replicate the experience of the original, but really just makes you angry how hard it is to navigate it and explore the extra space they give you.

I haven't played the Hub levels of Sonic Unleashed on the 360 or PS3, but I would assume the same problem since it afflicted the Gaia Temples in the Wii version.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

The hub levels in Unleashed HD control completely differently to the main game.
AzureChao
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Dreams are eternal...

Post by AzureChao »

Sable wrote:The hub levels in Unleashed HD control completely differently to the main game.
Something like this would be great for a chao garden. While the chao garden DOES slow down the gameplay, it also adds a lot of replay value to the game as well, and we all know that what Sonic Generations needed to make it better was good replay value.

It doesn't even have to be a required feature of the game. In Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2, the chao features aren't required at all to complete the game, unless you're going for a 100% run. In the games featuring a tiny chao garden, you can 100% them without even opening the garden once! The chao garden would be a great way to break up the fast pace, while still providing fun gameplay. I just don't think they have the ability to make a good chao garden after all the BAD that's happened in the 15 years since making SA2B...
Azure (noun) - A bright blue color, like a cloudless summer sky.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Sonic's 25 Anniversary game should just play like the Adventure duology and not have the modern games' quirks.

Not just if they include Chao, but especially if they do.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

In all fairness, it wouldn't be that hard to give Sonic or any other playable character different acceleration, top speed, handling, etc. values for action stages versus Chao Gardens, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Adventure games did give at least some of the characters different values for action stages vs. gardens. In fact, it might be easier to fine-tune separate physics settings for the two gameplay modes rather than trying to find values that would work well in both settings.

Also, I remember complaints about needing to raise Chao to get all the Emblems being quite common in regards to the Adventure games, and at least in the Gamecube versions, you need the Chao Emblems to unlock all the GameGear games in SADX and Green Hill in SA2B.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Frankly, the Chao related emblems are probably the easiest to unlock in the game. There's no good reason to complain about the requirements. Just as well, unlocking something like the ghz shouldn't be easy.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Oh, I'll agree Chao-haters are exaggerating, especially since I'm fairly sure a starter Chao force fed Chao fruit to level 99 in everything is sufficient to sweep the entire Race and Karate circuit, and the most time consuming part of that is getting enough rings, which you'll naturally pick up in the process of beating everything else. Personally, the hardest part of unlocking GHZ is those infernal A-ranks and the last couple of missions on Route 101/280(though, I must have missed another Hard Mode mission since I'm pretty sure I was stuck at 169).

Still, I can't help thinking that, maybe, just maybe, if there wasn't anything that forces one to get the Chao Emblems to unlock, the Chao Haters wouldn't have yelled loud enough to get their way.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Honestly I disagree with people who say that people who like Chao are a minority within the Sonic fanbase. I say this due to personal experience, and observations about the success of Sonic games.

In my personal experience, most people who fondly remember the Sonic Adventure titles will immediately refer to how they loved raising Chao. Whether it is my phone's background or my phone's text notification sound, people who recognize Chao are surprisingly prevent, and speak fondly. Additionally, we are but one site focused on Chao. There have existed others, and YouTube has shown an ongoing interest to this day, even if there is only so much that can be said.

As for success of Sonic games, I have noticed that the three series that get the highest praise at their time are the original Sonic games, the Sonic Adventure games, and the Sonic Advance games. The latter two had two distinct advantages: they were Nintendo titles that I'm sure most people had, and they both featured Chao. While it could just be coincidence, I definitely think it is a factor, as it diversified the games.

I could also bring in my silly "Chao Game" post from years back, which currently has over twenty thousand notes on tumblr. Assuming that only a fraction of people actually use tumblr, let alone have had a chance to see someone else reblog the post, there is likely a large number of people who either only played the Sonic Adventure titles for Chao, or remember them especially for that feature. This shows a solid amount of iconography.

My hopes have been that with the Steam releases of the Sonic Adventure titles, people would be talking more about this, or doing something to show more interest, which has happened in bits and pieces, but we still see people playing the Gamecube version and uploading videos to YouTube. (By we, I mean I, but it happens.) The interest is there, and the benefit too. It is just a matter of SEGA actually committing to it and accepting that Chao are desirable within the fanbase.

I am optimistic that SEGA will eventually understand the value Chao have as an IP, and that the 25th Anniversary is a great place to look toward that. It is entirely possible they could make a Chao game for mobile, given how much SEGA has released on mobile these days. The interest is there. It is just a matter of SEGA listening.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

Crazo3077 wrote: I could also bring in my silly "Chao Game" post from years back,
I reblogged that with my main blog actually a long awhile back xD It really fits for my sister and I who mostly only played for the Chao. I always liked sadx main game better in terms of levels and the adventure fields.
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
Rouce
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Rouce »

Goat wrote:The topic title is practically clickbait!
+1 x)

@Topic: Yes please! Hopefully they're going for the SA2B system regarding all the breeds. I know that Shiny Jewel Chao basically were just a bug - right? But the outcome is very cool. Let me breed Mint, transparent and invisible Chaos in the next Chao game! And make Jewel Chao hard to get, so it feels like an accomplishment. :chaohappy:
Trash-ItTrevor
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Trash-ItTrevor »

chaoadventures wrote:I haven't played the Hub levels of Sonic Unleashed on the 360 or PS3, but I would assume the same problem since it afflicted the Gaia Temples in the Wii version.
Nah man, they slowed Sonic down hardcore for the hub worlds in Unleashed HD. He can't run, only slight jog.

:surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

Anyway, I believe Aaron Webber (RubyEclipse) recentlt asked fans at a Sonic Event if they wanted Chao back, and of course they all got very excited. Maybe he's teasing us?
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

It WAS revealed that a new component will be in Project 2017, as well as a new character. It is possible but unlikely that that component is a new Chao Garden. I wish that it will be in the game, but it seems the Chao gardens are exclusive to the Adventure series.
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”