The Archie Sonic General

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

The Archie Sonic General

Post by Goat »

Hello and welcome to the sonic archie general.

Well, what is this big mess of a comic book? If you, for some reason, really don't know. Here's the obligatory "how you catch a pokemon" explanation.

Archie Sonic started in may 1993 and was a great way to enjoy sonic until an important guy in charge decided to become a giant fanboy of Knuckles, made an entire knuckles race, and the story solely became "Knuckles & Sonic" until he eventually wound up leaving somehow that I don't remember how and the next guy that took his place had a mess to work with, sort out, and eventually when the last guy came back with an insane lawsuit that only worked because the archie employee's had those documents burn somehow (I forget) we had a giant mess but thankfully our current writer now has an easier job and everything in the comics is fluid and makes sense now.

What's this now? You don't have a way to read it? Are you serious, how can you let yourself be this poor.

http://en.sonicscanf.org/comics/

Here you go, look up a reading guide because you will need it.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: The Archie Sonic General

Post by Ivogoji »

I just prefer the Fleetway comic more, although Archie's Knuckles series was cool.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^Fleetway might be better, but I didn't like the way Sonic looked enough to not go looking for it and find out.
Spoiler:
'Sup Vegeta.

GET IT???????? SHADES??????????

THIS IS WHAT MANGA STUDIO AND WACOM TABLETS WERE MADE FOR. MEDIOCRE VERY SLIGHTLY AMUSING EDITS THAT ARE BETTER IN YOUR HEAD, NOT THAT THING CALLED "STUFF YOU MADE YOURSELF".
YOU GIVE US COAL, WE GIVE YOU DIAMONDS/FUEL. DON'T CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU. WE'LL TAKE WHAT EVER YOU HAVE LYING AROUND. TAKE FROM THE RICH AND GIVE TO THE ALSO RICH.

Anyways, I'm really behind on these.

I actually started reading from the beginning with the "Sonic Archives", from guess where... My "local library". *weak confetti toss*
To be honest, I didn't actually enjoy them that much. (I still don't. I just think they're okay.) But then I started reading during Worlds Collide, and I thought it was the best.

Peering into what happened in the ones I didn't read, I don't think I would have enjoyed it any more than the first ones.

Additionally, I found out the art went... let's just say south for a bit...
Spoiler:

Dat bod. Knuckles' workout has been going well. Now all he needs is to start neglecting his legs for a few years, and he'll be set.
And get neck and knee surgery. And stop wearing skin colored shirts with a white circle. And tail reduction surgery.
Goat wrote:important guy in charge

He made this masterpiece after he left. He is obviously the most qualified person to lead us. I'm so sad he left. [/extremesarcasm]

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

When did Shadow earn Cranky's Blessing?

Aside from that, I'm surprised your library had them. But I figure they run on donation anyways so bless the man who did give those things up.

You'll find the Ken Penders Era as being a very weird one.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

in some ways i liked penders stories and flynn's original run better, especially regarding knuckles and character arcs and the fact you didn't have ancient game references beaten over your head every issue. i don't like segasonic mythos being it's always so badly done and the characters are straight out of juvenile fiction. the farther away from the games, the better

the shattered world went on over two years, and is just now ending, and still has barely reached the gravity of roborobotnik satellite foreshadowing or it's own mini-arcs. for months now sth issues follow a boring action sequence about sonic getting a gaia key, followed by an actually meaningful second story if you're lucky, and i cannot wait until this "remember this sonic game???" pandering ends. at first that was endearing, now i'm past my nostalgic twenty something life crisis. on the other hand seeing aquatic anthros, new characters, an updated breezie and honey, supporting characters being useful, conflicted egg army servants, naugus twins and creative uses for irrelevant game ideas like tails' witch enemy being a naugus or eclipse from the black arms, and sonic universe have been solid and antoine's a babe now so mm

honestly penders run shouldn't be that confusing if you're used to comics and have good reading comprehension, even without a reading guide the order is almost right in your face with editor's notes. for those of you who need help use this one: http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtop ... f=4&t=1780 because it's pretty chronologically accurate imo based on me knowing every publication

that said you're better off not reading until after world's collide because you get no closure to anything going on in between genesis waves. if you do wanna read it, read issue 19, any early sally and miniseries stuff, endgame and the recap issue before the naugus arc, and you should be fine to continue from there
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

chaoadventures wrote:^Fleetway might be better, but I didn't like the way Sonic looked enough to not go looking for it and find out.
Spoiler:
'Sup Vegeta.
Not going to derail the topic, just pointing this out: Fleetway was one of those comics that deliberately used many artists with many varying art styles, so Sonic rarely looked the same from one issue to another.

His appearance also evolved throughout the Archie comic, though not as much. I know there was a point where Archie Sonic had a more 'distinctive' look that was in-between how he appeared in older media and SA style revamp. That's the Sonic I like to visualize when thinking about the American comic.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I had a subscription around the time of Issues 130-140, but forgot to renew. I also have the Trade Paperback of the original mini-series that predated the main run of the comic, the first 16 volumes of the Archives, and the first 3 or 4 volumes of Sonic Select. Had I not gone blind, I'd have probably continued reading via Archives and Select.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Batty wrote:i don't like segasonic mythos being it's always so badly done and the characters are straight out of juvenile fiction. the farther away from the games, the better

(I had something to say, but I feel like Kermit does the job for me better.)

- - -
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

don't know what you're trying to tell me, sweetheart :c sorry

but i'm 23 so keep in mind my patience with sonic team and sega waned years ago, while the comics writing generally improved, and while it's not lost on me they aren't marketed toward an adult audience either, it's general audience enough for the writing to have a lasting legacy or creatively deviate from the grating adventure onwards "efforts" at writing. even fleetway managed to explore a more traditional sonic better than the game series itself

while it's true gameplay's the focus in games i still expect more, dunno. but yeah enough about other sonic media

also to add to the thread some news: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... mega-drive
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Ian Flynn has a big task ahead of him and he's used every single phone call metaphorically to make sure the comics are a very fun treat right now.

Ken Penders OTOH, he did a good thing while it lasted but...

Remember what he did, all of it, all of it
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Batty wrote:don't know what you're trying to tell me, sweetheart :c sorry
It means I have the opposite stance on that. Obviously, this means my image selection skills need work, but whatever.

- - -
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

^ I can train you in the art of Jaipeg and Pienji, but the art of Giyf is forbidden
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Is Archie Sonic considered a good comic these days? From what I understand it does a lot of what the actual Sonic game series doesn't, keep fluid and interesting plots, constantly uses a lot of characters so things don't get stale - including guys like Mighty and Ray that the games hardly ever use for anything other than "hey we remember they exist" jokes, and gives characters that are usually one dimensional and boring like Shadow and Silver actual depth.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

I thought Archie wasn't allowed to let the Sega characters have character development? Along with a ton of other stuff they can't do.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Nova! wrote: POST A REPLY
It would be rather hard to say whether or not the archie sonic comics are considered "Good" given that in this day and age reviewers can't exactly be trusted and opinions on sonic the hedgehog itself are at an all time low no thanks to people like Arin Hanson and his network of friends.

I recommend this, characters like Honey have been featured as well as Breezy too. It's not so much "Remember we exist" as much as it is "This world is a big one and these people have their own lives." Of course this is the post genesis wave stuff, pre-genesis wave is a lot easier to discriminate.

The Ken Penders Era of Knuckles was clumsy, clumsy like every single edgy 90's antihero but it avoids being a case of clumsiness and winds up being an investigation into just how much effort and attention Ken Penders had into revolving the story around Knuckles himself. After which, you have Ian Flynn doing his best to fix everything that went wrong until the genesis wave occurs and everything that happened before is unceremoniously GONE due to an insane lawsuit that Ken Penders took advantage of Archie with.

Before that, Ken Penders did genuinely do Sonic the best you'd hope for as the comics were an adaption of SatAM. This is the best I can tell you reading the comics recently myself and this being the best I took away from it all with.
PrincessPeach
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by PrincessPeach »

I first saw the covers on Sonic Mega Collection, then I read up on stuff about it on Wikipedia and would watch music videos with comic panels. This was during childhood and young teen years.

It wasn't until high school that I got a hold of the archives, back issue bundles and new issues. My thoughts? I hyped up the stories in my head too much based on the cover art and wiki descriptions. They weren't as good as I thought they'd be. The old stories post all that End Game stuff...yikes. The newer stories aren't too bad, but I'm not a fan of Tracy Yardley's art. It's not bad per se, but not my cup of tea. My ideal Sonic art style is the 2d art from SA2.

Lost track of getting new issues around the time Geoffry and Naugus teamed up.

Also not a Sally fan, she's so much better in SATam. Or maybe it's just the awesome voice actress.