Shipping Discussion

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Shipping Discussion

Post by Ivogoji »

Our official discussion topic for Sonic character pairings/ships.

Ivo remembers a simpler time, when Sonic X was a thing and everyone in the fandom shipped SonAmy, KuckRouge, and ShadTikal in harmony. Then everything changed when Sonic X was forgotten and the ShadAmy and ShadRouge shippers attacked, upsetting the balance of the world. Alas, in the process of time ShadTikal was forgotten as well, and all shipping in general devolved into a hundred year war between SonAmy and ShadAmy. Such is the state of things now, with the only refuge from the war for Amy Rose's skirt being in slash fics (which was tolerated in the days of Sonic X but nowhere near as ubiquitous as it is at present- you can't take two steps without tripping over yaoi in this fandom).

But I cannot help looking back at the halcyon days of old when the trifecta of Sonic X Amy, Knuckles X Rouge, and Shadow X Tikal served us so well. I wasn't as fond of pairing Shadow with Tikal as a lad, but confess the pairing has grown on me, as I feel nostalgic for the time when ShadAmy wasn't the empire it is today. I find I do like it, the pairing has a certain charm to it, being between the characters introduced in the two Adventure games, a kind of meeting of two worlds. I'd go so far as to call it my OTP for Shadow.

Ah, but there's shipping and then there's shipping. Everyone likes pairing improbable combinations of characters together, but when it comes to determining which characters really 'belong' together, there's always an arrangement that takes precedent above all others. A personal canon in a sense

While the trifecta mostly reigned supreme in the Sonic X era, the anime's influence also led to its own conflicts. The chief war of that time was of course between the Tails x Cream shippers and the Tails x Cosmo shippers. A fierce struggle it was, though naturally once Sonic X became but a memory Tails x Cream became the default OTP for Tails in the fandom. Now this I could never get behind. Tails was always a difficult character for me, but over time I came to favor a Third Option for Tails: pairing him with Wave. Never a popular pairing, and certainly not traditional, but in my view it has far more merit than pairing him with Cream. Cream herself I've always preferred pairing with Charmy or Emerl.

Sonic X's most enduring contribution to shipping however must be Vector X Vanilla. It was a good ship on the anime's part, and with little competition, it has survived throughout the years as a standard pairing. I do find that I like Eggman X Vanilla more though- however, that OTP is its own can of worms in terms of history and provenance.

With that in mind, after much reflection on the subject, my personal canon for shipping the core cast is

LovelyCoupleShipping (Sonic X Amy)
KicktheRockShipping (Knuckles X Rouge)
NameCallingShipping (Tails X Wave)
ReplacementPacifistShipping (Shadow X Tikal)
FlowerLoversShipping (Cream X Charmy)
ConsentingAdultsShipping(Vector X Vanilla)

Names drawn from our ship naming topic.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Shipping Discussion

Post by chaoadventures »

Tails X Zooey or get out.

I'm serious, get out

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

I can't hear you because your pairing has no name.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I wasn't aware Shadow/Amy was that popular.

Then again, it's been a long time since I was active in any Sonic discussion outside of Chao Island.

Anyways, pairings I ship seriously in no particular order:
Sonic/Amy in Sonic X continuity.
Sonic/Sally in SatAM and Archie Continuity.
Knuckles/Rouge in Sonic X and SegaSonic Continuities.
Tails/Cosmo in Sonic X continuity.
Bunnie/Antoine in SatAM and Archie Continuity.
Knuckles/Julie-Su in Archie Continuity.
Chris/Helen in Sonic X Continuity.

And pairings I really like, but I'll admit make little sense in any official continuity I'm familiar with:
Tails/Cream
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^When I search for Amy-centric fanfics on FF.net, ShadAmy stories outweigh other pairings by a dizzying margin.

I attribute this to wish fulfilment. Amy getting together with Shadow is tween girl wish fulfilment (meanwhile Shadow getting together with Rouge is male wish fulfilment).
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
JamminNekoSoaper
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL!!!! O(≧▽≦)O

Post by JamminNekoSoaper »

I would post my favorite ship but then I'd risk my password being revealed. Also IMO Sonic would never ship with anyone cuz he's too busy juicin loose with an ATTITUUDE~ lol
Nah but seriously Sonic would have to go supremo extremo before he'd jammo blammo with anyone & if he did ride overdrive he'd prolly just slam, jam & scram with `em. (if you catch my drift) XD
YOWHAHOWOOHOOHOORAYYAHOOYEEHAWYIHAWWEE~
Image Image
AAAAAWYEAH!! PARTYY HARDYYYY!!!! (\^w^)/ ° \(^w^/)
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^I feel you've risked more about your password by saying it's related to a Sonic pairing than anything else you could have done.

@Ivo: Actually, I thought about naming it (assuming this is the same as the ones in your topic about these) but I'm usually pretty bad with names so I think I'd ruin it.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

You guys are all weird. :no:

Sonadow is the only decent pairing and even then I headcanon it as a not very romantic or touchy thing - that would be OOC. Fluffy fanart and fanfic is cute though
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I'd have to admit, Sonic as a hog of endless one night stands would probably be more believeable than Sonic in a committed relationship for most official incarnations of the character.

And if Amy ever got over her fangirl crush on Sonic, I actually like Tails as a potential partner for Sega or Sonic X Amy.

For Yaoi pairings, my favorite is probably Sonic/Tails with Sonic as the more dominant partner.
For Yuri pairings, I'm a fan of Amy/Cream, Blaze/Cream, Amy/Sally, Amy/Tikal.
My favorite genderbent pairing is probably Sonic/FemTails.
My favorite Human/Anthro pairings are Shadow/Maria and Shadow/Helen, though I generally view Shadow's relationship with Maria as fraternal rather than romantic.

For 3+, I like:
Sonic/Amy/Tails
Sally/Sonic/Amy(and yes, I'm aware this pretty much requires overriding Archie AMy's characterization with her Sega or Sonic X characterization.
Cosmo/Tails/Cream
Amy/Tails/Cream
Tails/Harem(girls only)
Sonic/Sonia/Manic
Rouge/Harem(both boys and girls)
Amy/Cream/Tikal

If Amy/Shadow is tween girl wish fulfillment and Shadow/Rouge is stereotypical male fantasy wish fulfillment, would Tails/Cream be geeky wish fulfillment?

Also, when it comes to romantic fanfic, I hold that a good author can make any pairing work. I haven't read any for Sonic, but I have read fanfics that took characters who never met in Canon and would have every reason to hate each other if they met in Canon and took them all the way to happily married with children without it ever feeling forced, and doing it several times over in the same fic with only a few mainstream ships included among an armada of crack while never feeling like crack. If anyone knows of any quality Sonic fanfiction that takes a couple that makes no sense in any official media and makes it work, I'd love to read them.
Last edited by Nano on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed some inappropriate stuff
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^Yuh dun got fox'd.

My favorite OT3 with the SEGA cast is LovelyTrioShipping (Sonic x Amy x Blaze), and WinterGamesShipping (Amy x Blaze) is the only other pairing with Amy I like besides LovelyCoupleShipping. I'm not crazy about shipping either of them with Sliver, especially since I prefer to ignore Next Gen and it's relationship developments, so I tend to gravitate towards pairing both girls with Sonic/each other.

There aren't any male/male pairings I like, and besides WinterGamesShipping there aren't really any yuri arrangements that appeal to me. FireandIceCreamShipping (Blaze x Cream) is cute, but I can't really imagine Cream being in a relationship with anyone older than her.

In general I'm kind of picky with shipping Sonic characters (compared to how I ship characters in say, Pokemon), since I grew up reading Sonic fanfiction way back in it's early days, "picking sides" in the shipping wars and only supporting pairings from stories I liked.

I also dislike all 'MC x MC's Rival' and 'Female Lead x MC's Rival' pairings as a rule, applying to all fandoms. That's pretty much why I never read Avatar The Last Airbender fanfiction.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Post by Pratzelwurm »

My Sonic OTP has been Shadilver since I was twelve because I'm gay and have no taste.

I also quite enjoy Sonamy, Tailsream, and Knuxouge, though Blamy and Sonuckles are also acceptable.

EDIT: I forgot Sallicole! They are also one of my faves.
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool:
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

To be honest, I can't see the Sonic in the games in a relationship. I totally ship Sonamy and Tails X Zooey in Sonic Boom, though. I really don't care about any other shippings, but I LOATHE ShadAmy and Shadilver.
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
TheBrazilianInvader
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Live and just learn it

Post by TheBrazilianInvader »

You forgot one:

HappyCouple (AntoinexBunnie)

thx!