What the snap?!

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

What the snap?!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

I was thinking about Sonic Rush last night, and I thought of something: at the end of each boss fight, Sonic snaps his fingers as Eggman runs away. But how can he snap if he's wearing gloves? The sound effect is as loud as an ordinary, ungloved snap! I've tried snapping with gloves on, but no sound comes out! How does he do it? :thinking:
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: What the snap?!

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I did a little experiment. I own a pair of wire mesh gloves to protect my hands from cuts when working with an X-acto knife. I compared the natural snaps of my two hands and then placed a glove on the hand with the louder snap and compared the gloved hand with the ungloved hand. While the glove hand produced a quieter snap than it did ungloved, and the snap was a bit flatter than the hand I kept ungloved, my louder hand, even gloved, was about as loud as my quieter hand ungloved. Also tried gloving the quieter hand, the result being a quieter, flatter snap, the same change as when I gloved my louder hand.

Now, we know basically nothing about Sonic's gloves other than their color, and to my knowledge, SegaSonic has never been seen in official art without his gloves, but the above illustrates that the right kind of glove is capable of producing snaps on par with an ungloved hand, and considering that Sonic is best friends with one of the smartest inventors in the SegaSonicverse, for all we know, his gloves might have been engineered to maximize the volume and sharpness of a finger snap performed with them.

Of course, it's also possible that Sonic Team/Dimps/whoever made the Rush games either didn't think about how gloves would affect the sound, didn't think anyone would notice, or the coconut effect demands finger snaps have a certain sound even when it would be unrealistic for a finger snap to sound that way.
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Of course, it's also possible that Sonic Team/Dimps/whoever made the Rush games either didn't think about how gloves would affect the sound, didn't think anyone would notice, or the coconut effect demands finger snaps have a certain sound even when it would be unrealistic for a finger snap to sound that way.
It isn't unlikely that it was just overlooked in development. Am I overthinking this?
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Good god yes you're overthinking it. It's just a finger snapping in a results screen.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

the mind boggles
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

The real question is, why does everyone wear the same white gloves?

Even important human characters like the Robotniks and the GUN Commander wear white gloves.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

For the true technical reason, because white gloves are the easiest form of hands to animate/draw/create/work with

It's why almost literally all old cartoon or video game character has white gloves or something similar.

Also stylistic choices and it would be really weird for these anthropomorphic characters with skinny, lanky, sharp bodies to have weird mickey-mouse esque hands and the white gloves help cover up that fact
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Zphal
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Zphal »

Sonic can snap, but can he also crackle and pop?