Sonic Adventure 3

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

Do you think there will be an upcoming SA3 Game?

Sometime this year or next. I hope!
31%
Maybe this year...
No votes
If I just wait, maybe it will.
19%
I doubt it!
44%
I don't know what SA2/SA2B is.
6%
I really don't have time for Sonic/Chao that much
No votes

Total votes: 16

kidrat529
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Sonic Adventure 3

Post by kidrat529 »

Quick question!(see the poll) When do you think SA3 is coming out? It could be SA3, SH2, or a spin-off! Use the poll to answer or comment for detailed answers. :darkangry:

My other Posts:
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Re: Sonic Adventure 3

Post by Lamby »

Considering SEGA announced three games that are coming next--Lost World, another Olympics, and a handheld, I doubt anything of the sort for at least the next few years, not to mention that the Adventure series sold less copies than modern Sonic comparatively, so seeing them return to the old formula seems unlikely.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

I wouldn't really want an SA3.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

If Sonic Team is smart, they will never call a game Sonic Adventure 3 as doing so would taint expectations. I have never played Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but much of its begatuve revuews aniybt ti people expecting the long overdue sequel to Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and Sonic 4 dis not live up to those expectations.

Would I welcome another game with multiple player characters and each having their own unique gameplay style? I would love such a game, especially if Sonic Team took into consideration everything the learned from all games they have made thus far. I hear Generations finally perfected Sonic's gameplay, and now would be a good time to start working on characters other than Sonic.

Also, I feel like I have expressed this opinion at least a dozen times on these forums.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

I personally loved Sonic 4: Episode 1, the physics complaints and stuff are just the Sonic fanbase being the usual Sonic fanbase trying to find something to complain about...
I haven't played Episode 2 though.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

Yeah, the physics were manageable, and that was not a major complaint I had. Gameplay wise Episode 1 was standard Sonic fare, but it suffers from average and uninspired level design (in comparison to say the excellent Sonic Generations hacks I've seen) and I'm looking at it as its own game. You don't realize how bland the levels really are until you play Episode 2 whose stages are wonderfully designed. Subjectively speaking though, I enjoyed playing through both games and as Metal Sonic. That said, they are brilliant attempts at reviving Genesis Sonic. It is fan misconception that they did poorly; sales were phenomenal.

But Crash, if you liked 1, you'll definitely like 2. If you ever get the chance, give it a whirl.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
kidrat529
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by kidrat529 »

AtomicBat wrote:Considering SEGA announced three games that are coming next--Lost World, another Olympics, and a handheld, I doubt anything of the sort for at least the next few years, not to mention that the Adventure series sold less copies than modern Sonic comparatively, so seeing them return to the old formula seems unlikely.
Yep! Same here. I just wish Sega would pay some attention to the fans. But you posted and yes, Episode 4 was pretty good. Still, older Sonic brings back memories. :cry:
Crash32 wrote:I wouldn't really want an SA3.
Yeah...*Why did I post this...?* It would ruin SA2 for us all. :darkcool:
Last edited by Mamkute on Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not post multiple times in a row. Use the edit feature to add onto posts.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

I don't see how another game can ruin a game that came before it. The game that came before still exists exactly as it was, experiences had in the game would still be there. It'd be weird to have another game somehow invalidate that.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^Except that perceptions of a game's quality are often a product of comparing it to other games. Yes, objectively, SA2B will always remain the same, but subjectively, every new 3D Sonic platformer, and to a lesser extent 3D platformers in general, affect perceptions of how good SA2B is. Granted, a game's perceived quality usually only takes a serious hit when a successor is deemed to completely outdo it.

If Sonic Team made a game and called it Sonic Adventure 3, judgments based on comparing it with SA1/2, both for perceived quality of SA3 as well as the previous games, would likely be greater than with any other 3D Sonic released in the last decade. Speaking of perceptions, had Sonic 06 been titled Sonic Adventure 3, I doubt such discussions would exist for a hypothetical Sonic Adventur 4.
kidrat529
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by kidrat529 »

Maybe, but I already voted the poll. I didn't like Donkey Kong Country, but I loved DKC2. And the third one had no plot to it. That's what would happen to SA3. And Crash32, I Love Crash Bandicoot!
Arch Diggle
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by Arch Diggle »

The problem with making a game titled Sonic Adventure 3 is that it would never live to its expectations. It could have the same formula as SA1/2/DX/B (multiple characters with different gameplay styles), but there is so little that could be expanded on or anything that could be "new" as in a new gameplay type (what other genre would fit into an adventure-like game other than hunting for treasure, running, or shooting?). It couldn't be a rhythm game or a racing game (doesn't fit into the universe and didn't work before, and racing was already done). The chao system is pretty much as advanced as 3d tamagotchi-things can get at this point, so what else could make up an SA3 to make it anything else than a glorified remake of the older games?
Black Lotus Channel Fireball
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

SEGA have been sticking with the Hedgehog Engine for something like 4 games now (?) which means if they wanted a true SA3 they'd have to make a new engine for it, which could take years. Or, they could continue to use the Hedgehog Engine and modified versions of it to put out a new game every 2 years or so.