Sonic Adventure "II"

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Sonic Adventure "II"

Post by Ivogoji »

Hypothetical scenario: The actual Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast was never released, there's just the original Sonic Adventure. Now a sequel to Sonic Adventure, a SAII if you will, is being created. Based on your experience with the first Adventure game, what do you think this sequel should be like?
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: Sonic Adventure "II"

Post by Rajikaru »

Only Sonic gameplay.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

i disagree with only sonic gameplay, i think that all of the playstyles from the first game should return minus big's and be elaborated upon and improved

sonic's naturally is fine as is, with just a bit more polish it would be golden
tails can stay out of his mech, but he needs to have an engaging playstyle with levels that cater to his flying ability rather than using recycled sonic levels and allowing him to break them wide open
knuckles needs larger stages but in addition he also needs a larger emerald radar, and a more engaging system of combat similar to the werehog but more fast-paced
amy needs to be more agile, and her stages need to use more of the puzzle element that's present in hot shelter, her only original stage
and since gamma is dead, his playstyle can be given to eggman, who would play more or less like he does in the current SA2, but with more refinement and not coming to a complete halt every time he slightly changes direction. seriously. gamma didn't do that.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^Gamma's controls were really smooth in comparison, weren't they? I wonder if the developers of SA2 originally only had Dr. Eggman in mind when implementing shooter stages in the game, with the intent of 'upgrading' the player from only using one Robotnik's minions to actually playing as the antagonist himself. Shifting from Gamma's character model to what was, in essence, one of the classic Sonic game's bosses made playable, would have a few kinks to work out.

Come to think of it, that's one thing a potential Sonic Adventure 3 would need: some sort of successor to Gamma's lock-on shooter stages.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

maybe i'll buy it 10 years down the line and play it on my wii, only to have it come out over a year later remastered
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Are we Jumping back in time to when SA1DC is the only 3D Sonic, are we talking present day with all other 3D Sonics exactly the same, or are we talking present day where all other 3D Sonics lack any characters/story elements introduced in SA2?

Because it's hard to not let every other 3D Sonic cloud my viewpoint, I'm going to go with every other 3D Sonic being the same.

-Because Sonic has always seemed more at home on Nintendo Consoles during the post-console Sega years, SAII would be a WiiU exclusive.
-Adventure fields return, but are far more massive and feature enough sidequests that their actually worth exploring rather than feeling like just a way to get from one adventure field to the next.
-To help navigate the Adventure fields, when playing in dual-screen mode, a perpetual map can be displayed on the gamepad.
-Sonic's Gameplay is a happy medium between SA1 and the much faster gameplay of Modern Sonic.
-Tails Plays much like in SA1, with Chase levels where his and Sonic's stories overlap, but with a larger number of levels were he has to catch a different target or just has to reach the goal without racing against someone.
-Knuckles playes more like a Beat-em-up, and while some of his missions still have him hunting emerald shards or tracking down other macguffins, he also has some missions that simply come down to reaching the goal.
-In addition to the Emerald Radar's proximity alarm with color coding as part of Knuckles HUD, if playing with the Gamepad Map, it will display the approximate location of the shard Knuckles is sensing.
-Amy is much faster, perhaps halfway betwwen SA1 and Heroes, but her levels are still more exploration and puzzle based, with more Hammer-oriented combat. While some stages still have her running from sentries of some sort, some lack such and there are some levels where she can avoid the sentries altogether if she is stealthy enough.
-Omega serves as Gamma's replacement, and while he is initially far clunkierthan his predecessor, he eventually gains mobility upgrades that make him the most agile of the E-series.
-Big gets regulated to an optional mini-game and his gameplay gets tweaked so that he serves as a decent fishing simulation that is actually relaxing rather than annoying.
-Unlike SA1, where Sonic gets all the levels and everyone else gets shortened versions of a few of Sonic's levels, her everyone gets just as many full-length levels during their story as the other characters with each having several levels that only they play as part of the story. Also, by the Post-game everyone can play every level though some sections of the levels might not be accessible to all characters and sections accessible to all might play significantly differently. Typically, clearing a stage that can only be unloacked by a specific character won't play a role in other character's stories, but will become playable when other characters reach the point in their sotry where the character that unlocked the level would've played it.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

Ivogoji wrote:I wonder if the developers of SA2 originally only had Dr. Eggman in mind when implementing shooter stages in the game,
it's pretty widely accepted that early builds of SA2 only had three characters - sonic, knuckles, and eggman. the other characters were still in the plot but were delegated to non-playable roles. however, due to fear of a potential fan backlash, tails was re-added, and to keep things even, they decided to give us rouge and shadow as well. it's supported by the fact that nearly every one of their stages in the game reuses assets from another stage (to cut costs and development time) and the earliest stages on the internal stage index are test stages specifically made for sonic and knuckles.

additionally, the earliest trailers only show those three characters, and screenshots show sonic in sky rail rather than shadow.
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Needs better lip sync.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Sable wrote:
Ivogoji wrote:I wonder if the developers of SA2 originally only had Dr. Eggman in mind when implementing shooter stages in the game,
it's pretty widely accepted that early builds of SA2 only had three characters - sonic, knuckles, and eggman. the other characters were still in the plot but were delegated to non-playable roles. however, due to fear of a potential fan backlash, tails was re-added, and to keep things even, they decided to give us rouge and shadow as well. it's supported by the fact that nearly every one of their stages in the game reuses assets from another stage (to cut costs and development time) and the earliest stages on the internal stage index are test stages specifically made for sonic and knuckles.

additionally, the earliest trailers only show those three characters, and screenshots show sonic in sky rail rather than shadow.
That sounds logical.

The progression from 'we need an evil counterpart for Knuckles' to 'sexy jewel thief spy double agent martial artistist bat' always seemed curious to me. Shadow is more straightforward, though being Sonic's counterpart would mean (short of replacing him with Metal Sonic) giving him greater importance to the story. Suppose it was decided that Eggman would be the only playable Dark character- he would have to carry all that plot on his own. That might be why his grandfather plays such a huge role in the story come to think of it.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Are we Jumping back in time to when SA1DC is the only 3D Sonic?
Yeah, that's what I was going for.

The topic was prompted from playing SADX and wondering what a sequel to the game would be like if the elements SA2 dropped were still present.

Some of my own ideas:
- Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, and Big each have their own storyline and gameplay style
- Story mode has the characters going through stages unique to each of them, but post story gameplay lets the characters access each others' levels
- Sonic's gameplay is largely the same, but now he can execute a variety of tricks to garner points (like in the bonafide SA2 and Sonic Rush); the kind of rank he gets (now S through E) is largely determined by the complexity of tricks performed and the amount of time it takes to complete the stage
- Tails only has one action stage where he races another character, the rest of his gameplay consists of subgames like the Sky Chase stage, Snowboarding, Pinball, and Cart racing mini-games.
- Knuckles stages are basically the usual treasure hunting gameplay, but now each stage has a different mission objective, and doesn't necessarily involve finding items in groups of three (think of the Chaotix's levels in Sonic Heroes). Sometimes he has to destroy certain enemies without attacking any others, or find a certain number of small animals, or blow out torches to activate the defense system, etc.
- Like you guys suggested, Amy's gameplay would involve more exploration and puzzle solving stages. She no longer has to run from ZERO, but each of her stages has some similar threat that must be avoided and can't be killed. One could work like the Egg Beetle in SA2, but the others would be all unique.
- Eggman would serve as Gamma's replacement and have shooter stages. This time however the clock counts down rather than up and Eggman needs to rack up targets to keep the timer from running out. Subsequently his gameplay is faster than in SA2, with the focus on reaching the end of the stage with a decent amount of time left to spare. Eggman can also exit the Egg Walker when playing other characters' stages, and has a move set better suited to combat than his Chao Garden form.
- Big the Cat would have improved fishing gameplay, more like the fishing mini-game in Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, with the ability to customize his fishing gear and use different lures for different fish. Type of fish is now as important as size, and different stages demand different catches. He would also have improved gameplay just for running around the stages, more like the way he works in Sonic Heroes, and now he would be able fight enemies effectively using the fishing rod as a huge flail.
- Sonic can play Tails' sub-games and Knuckles treasure hunting stages outside of story mode. In the latter case, items that would normally be accessible just to Knuckles (for example buried underground) will only appear where Sonic can get them, and Sonic can in turn access areas in the stage Knuckles cannot. Sonic uses a handheld radar to detect items with his own quirks distinct from Knuckles' ability to sense the Emeralds.
- Tails can play all of Sonic's stages using his classical gameplay style and also Eggman's shooter stages, now piloting the Cyclone walker like the actual SA2.
- Knuckles can play all of Sonic's stages and Amy's stages. Both Tails and Knuckles can pull off their kinds of tricks when playing Sonic's stages.
- Amy can play all of Big's stages and all of Knuckles stages, gaining a Piko Piko Hammer-style fishing rod for the former and a dowsing rod to detect treasure for the latter. As in Sonic's case there are locations in the stage only she can reach and items don't appear where she can't reach.
- Eggman can play all of Big's stages and all of Tails' subgames. Yes, including the radical snowboarding mini-game BI
- Big can play all of Amy's stages and all of Eggman's shooter stages, piloting the Egg Walker and Cyclone interchangably as in SA2DC's multiplayer mode.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
mintdrop
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: \('- '\) live life like it's 2007

Post by mintdrop »

(I hope it's okay to bump this. idk)

Like mentioned before by other users:
- Sonic's gameplay should remain the same, possibly with rail grinding added along with a faster overall speed than other characters. His levels should revolve around speed, and have multiple layers/routes to take which lead to better or no rewards.
- Tails' gameplay should be similar to Sonic's but less speed based and more flight based. Only a few or maybe just 1 mission should be a race, and the levels should utilise his abilities of flight a lot more - possibly an aerial-attack move? Some puzzles/tornado missions would be neat too.
- Knuckles' missions should revolve around fighting/finding emerald shards/exploring. To prevent gameplay from being too slow however the fighting should be fun and engaging and rather fast. His ability to glide should be utilized again much like in SA1, with large action stages which have not a lot on the surface but encourage exploration.
- Amy should be a lot faster, and her stages puzzle-based like before. perhaps a few stages which are more "get to the goal" without being chased would be fun, and it would be interesting to see more hammer abilties introduced.
- Big should be cut from the game. (in the maingame anyway)
- Eggman should replace Gamma (since's he's dead), and play similarly to him but without the countdown timer.
- It would be interesting to see Shadow or Rouge in a hypothetical SA2? Granted they wouldn't have been thought to be added, but Shadow should play like Sonic, and Rouge could play more like Knuckles but possibly more stealing and sneaking than fighting/exploring.

Other notes:
- Big fishing minigame which would be fun to play, and not irritating
- 2P mode which has courses that account for all character's abilties, and also a 2P mode which just lets you explore the overworld as a pair, just doing whatever stages you'd like (this would allow other characters to take part in other stages - possibly co-op?)
- Chao garden returning with an upgrade.
- Hub areas returning (new and old ones) which have an onscreen map which can easily be toggled on/off without need to go to a menu
- More equal level distribution
- Hopefully an engaging story which is similar to SA1 in terms of darkness, and not too complicated/"edgy" as SA2.

so yeah, basically what other people said owo;;
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
or if u wanna see a backpack full of rats EMAIL A BROTHA @ EMAIL_A_BROTHA@outlook.com
(00:29:23) Chocolate_Chao: I don't need cute art from a scumbag like you...
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Something I've been thinking about: Sonic Adventure is where multiple gameplay styles came from, and in that game each style was specific to a certain character. Suppose for a moment, alongside the original line-up of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Big, and Gamma, there were also other characters like Mighty the Armadillo, Fang the Sniper, Bean the Dynamite, or the Chaotix, and each one of them had their own distinct gameplay? Or suppose one of them was picked for SA in the place of Amy, Big or Gamma?

A hypothetical SAII which has a Hero side story and a Dark side story, but a different line up of playable characters is interesting to consider. Imagine if we had:
Metal Sonic opposite Sonic
Fang the Sniper opposite Knuckles
Bean the Dynamite opposite Amy, if she were given her own storyline

If Tails had his own, none-mecha none-shooter gameplay, would Eggman have a parallel Walker-less gameplay?
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD