SA2B Steam Controller support

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

SA2B Steam Controller support

Post by KeatonLabs »

So i got sa2b on steam today since my new laptop can handle games fairly well. And while the keyboard controls arent too bad, I'd prefer a controller. Problem is, i dont have a wireless receiver for my xbox 360 controller.

I do have a mayflash gc controller adapter for wii u and pc, but i havent tested it on this laptop and im not sure if it'd work as it is. Is there a way to configure it or should i hjust get a wireless receiver or wired controller?
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Re: SA2B Steam Controller support

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^Since he already bought it for Steam and he can't use the mods made for it, that doesn't seem as good as an idea.

I'm not sure how to use that adapter though, because I have an official GameCube adapter.

I use this vjoy program, for official controllers and this other program called JoytoKey to configure my controls since it took too long to decipher
which button does what. You have to configure the control sticks though. But, I'd take a guess Steam comes with the ability to accept inputs normally from the adapter itself so honestly,
I'd just put my adapter in to see if Steam receives inputs from the adapter in the first place.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Joy2Key is hella janky with GC controller. Also, you can still mod w/ ISOs. That's how peeps play Project M in HD.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

You're right about JoyKey being "Janky" but I got it to work fine eventually. Also setting up Joytokey lets you use it with everything else, when you're done.
But has anyone actually put SA2B in HD? Does anyone even care enough? What about the Chao mods?

- - -
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Not sure. Don't have a SA2B ISO.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

I found a mod. I don't think it's as good as this though.

The Dolphin mod also changes a bunch of stuff that shouldn't be changed, like the official SA2 art in the back of menus being changed.
Which doesn't even make sense.

- - -
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Thanks you two, i'll give both a shot this weekend. I dont know if dolphin will run on this but i'll see, but i'll also try the programs suggested should it not.
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

There is no logical reason at to try to run an emulated, outdated version of a game opposed to the official port that is most likely going to run and look better, along with having more support and features. The PC version, with the help of some programs, can pretty much use any controller if the computer can use it in general. I use the official Gamecube adapter when I play
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

^It's free.
It's illegal (If you get an ISO from the Internet) and the Re-release doesn't look that much better by default.
But it's still free with the Battle DLC.

I say it's still a reason towards the Steam version though.

- - -
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

Well in this specific case, the person already bought the game on Steam. Also, you can pirate the Steam version, too. And it doesn't look much better compared to the actual game, aside from some HUD updates, but emulators usually have graphical glitches as it wasn't made to run on a computer

The only reason I can see wanting to use an emulated version is possibly bringing the save file to the official game or to a console that supports emulation as well like the Wii/Wii U, that way you can play it elsewhere or use the GBA functions and still have the same save

Well, I guess there's this stupid glitch on the PC version for some graphics cards where a damn car will get stuck to the camera in City Escape, but aside from that I don't think there's any serious problems

chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

I already went over the fact he bought it. But the reason for bringing it up in the first place is that it works completely with the Mayflash GC adapter.
I'd also take a guess pirating a PC version of anything released after 2000, is a hassle not worth the effort.
In graphics, neither is that much better.

I think there's a way to transfer all your data to Steam, Dolphin and the GC but, all I've ever seen is transferring Chao data.

That car glitch comes on all versions of the game when played on a PC with a certain Graphics card. So even the emulated GC and DC versions get it.

Of course, back to what we're supposed to be doing. You said you used a GameCube controller and Official adapter with the Steam version.
What did you do to get it to work? Did you just put it using vjoy, or what?

- - -
TripleXero
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by TripleXero »

I don't really want to condone piracy, but all it took was downloading the file and running it basically.

As for the car glitch, it didn't happen when I played the Gamecube version on my computer, never tried the Dreamcast version, though.

I might have to look into the Chao save transfer, though. Kinda cool that you can potentially have the same Chao from the GBA way back in 2001 through a long process of transfers. If that worked with the PS3/360 version somehow, too, that'd be amazing, since I actually play it seriously on PS3, PC I usually just screw around with mods.

I believe the way it works is using vJoy, x360ce, and a program that installs the drivers to let you use the adapter on PC and recognize each controller. It sounds like a lot, but it's pretty quick to set up. Only problem is if you have Windows 10 you need to get a work around for vJoy I think