Yet Another SA3 Wishlist topic

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
IvoNinja
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Always count your shuriken before you throw them.

Yet Another SA3 Wishlist topic

Post by IvoNinja »

So I was on this other forum and there was this guy talking trash about or dream, and it turned into a list of reasons for why there should be a Sonic Adventure 3. So I was all like
Ivo-goji wrote: Touching on this again, reasons I want Sonic Adventure 3:
More characters to play as. Recent games focus so much on Sonic that the rest of the cast is neglected.
More gameplay styles. The treasure hunting and shooter stages from the Adventure games were awesome and should be revisited again.
In line with this, having characters like Knuckles and Amy have their own storymodes and participate in the plot instead of being relegated to side characters. I mean Knuckles hasn't had a real role in the series since Sonic Riders, what happened?
Character specific upgrades that reward the player for exploring the stages and make each character's gameplay more interesting.
Bring back Chao. As a long time user on a website dedicated to the Chao Garden subgame, I personally know tons of people who loved raising Chao and desperately want them to make a comeback. Plus Chao are big part of the Adventure games' replay value, as raising them requires collecting small animals and rings from the action stages (other Sonic games don't even offer much incentive to rechallenge stages besides to get higher letter ranks, and who even likes doing that?). Seeing Chao return is pretty much my biggest reason for wanting Adventure 3 actually. I mean, if there's no Chao then it's not an Adventure game.

Other things SA3 could have: playable Eggman, bigger role for Shadow (it's been ten years since Sonic Next Gen, it won't hurt to give him some spotlight again), opportunities for bonus content like more subgames and achievement goals (Sonic Colors and Lost World seem almost barebones with how little there is do outside of the main game), SA2's multiple mission format for each stage, SA's adventure fields and/or SA2's Chao Garden Lobby (I could see an expanded version of the lobby acting as a hub world between all of the action stages, with some NPCs to interact with for flavor), SA's dogfight subgame, SA2's boss rush mode, the customizable menu themes and stuff like that.

It's not that the Adventure Duology were these untouchably superior Sonic games, but they were very rich games that offered a lot of features fans wish were retained in subsequent games. There definitely other titles in the series that are just as good or better, but SA2 is still by far the Sonic game I play the most. It would be awesome to have sequel that captures its richness.
So basically in this thread we discuss reasons why we deserve Sonic Adventure 3 and what we would want in such a game (for at least the third time).
Nobody is everywhere and everybody is nowhere.
SniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktEat your heart out EspioSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSnikt
JamminNekoSoaper
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL!!!! O(≧▽≦)O

Re: Yet Another SA3 Wishlist topic

Post by JamminNekoSoaper »

What I want to see in an SA3 is-

#1 Sonic going back to his roots with that devil may care attitude & rock star/dancing stuff. (even better than the 1st episode of SatAM, all of Sonic Undergrounds rock scenes & SA1's pictures, Sonic Rush & Generations dances.)

#2 Sonic's gameplay fixed with-
SUPER PEEL OUT
SPIN-DASHING
DIGGING
SUPER-JUMPING
BOUNCING
AIR-DASHING
DOUBLE-JUMPING
TORNADO-TWISTING (Sonic spinning a tornado to use on enemies & or to run up in circles with to the top of it's cycle)
& TRICKS that can give Sonic a boost like when he's SOAPING, (styles of side stomping forward) sliding, (somersaulting) & swinging, (side-kick twisting) etc. (I left out air tricks because Sonic would be doing those moves I had in mind to air-dash & double-jump like headbanging forward, revving up his arms then releasing them forward or up & kicking forward to the sides or up & doing a back flip, etc.)

#3 Espio as a playable character with NINJA missions.

#4 An open world fantasy land thats actually believable with nature zones having the bowls, half pipes, loops & rounded caves, etc; blended into the groovy hills/mountains & corroded floating land pieces aswell as obstacles like slides made from corral or leaves & natural stuff to SOAP on like vines or logs along with bouncy mushrooms & guiser blasts & even swings made from tree roots, etc. The mecha zones should be built by Dr. Eggman with misplaced springs & boosts to try & trip Sonic up. But not all of the mecha zones should be built by Eggman, Tails should make practice zones like one where Sonic has to play a song by hitting all the right notes or something.
YOWHAHOWOOHOOHOORAYYAHOOYEEHAWYIHAWWEE~
Image Image
AAAAAWYEAH!! PARTYY HARDYYYY!!!! (\^w^)/ ° \(^w^/)
swooble
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by swooble »

I'm not very enthusiastic for a SA3, specially if Shadow stars again. Sonic in real life doesn't fit the franchise too well, and it got specially jarring in 06. Don't get me wrong I think a sequel to the SA2 Chao Garden is long overdue, but I wouldn't mind it as a separate game. Perhaps that would be for the best, it would get more budget and focus that way.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^They don't even have to make Sonic actually interact with actual humans again honestly. SA1 ultimately just had them as background elements.

Anyways, SA3:
I say the characters should be everyone playable in Sonic Advance 1, each with their own story like in SA1, and in a way '06.

Sonic's gameplay should be the same as always, but Light Dash should be on a different button than the normal "Action Button". Just play City Escape's Hard Mode to see why.
The levels themselves should be mostly like SA1 but with a dash of SA2. It's hard to describe honestly.

Tails should be like Sonic, but have more levels to himself and having a different array of upgrades and general abilities to make it different overall.

Knuckles should have a mix of Treasure levels (not necessarily the Master Emerald again) and Sonic and Tails styled levels.

Amy should:

- Move faster.
- Not be chased by Zero (or any equivalent).
- Have more Hot Shelter-esque puzzles.
- Have said puzzles be more fast paced.
- Have upgrades that are actually useful. (The Warrior Feather was literally never used by me during my last playthrough of SA1)
- Be perfectly capable of being used in Sonic and Tails' levels (at least in practice).

And... potentially Eggman? Being able to take a look at his side of the story and how he enacts his plans was interesting in SA2 and Gamma's story also did that in a way.
I feel if he was more maneuverable in SA2 and had more levels like Cosmic Wall and Weapons Bed, his levels would have been more enjoyed by players in general.

More chao (obviously).
Make the Black Market sell things like Themes (at a much higher appearance rate) and other things to make more things to spend your rings on.
More sub-games. (Kart racing seems to be a constant in both games actually)
More upgrades (don't make me buy them like '06).
More Adventure Fields (with hidden Emblems and '06 style missions that give rings for chao and other prizes).
And (as stated in Ivo's post) Missions for every stage again.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

itt; we want nostalgia... or something

as long as sonic team stops wasting time with nintendo paperweights and i don't have to hear any past mediocre sonic voice actor (all of them) ever again i'm okay with any ancient 90s relics people want in their 3d sonic
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
swooble
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by swooble »

Meh SA3 was Sonic 06 more or less, and I don't mind Sonic being the only playable character in the main games. (Maybe they should do at least one game where the focus is the side characters again, a spin off of sorts. A Knuckles beat em up/hack and slash please.) Humans with cartoon stylization akin to Unleashed I wouldn't object to (fun fact this game is known as Sonic World Adventure in Japan), but part of me wants to see Sonic return to that slightly psychedelic/abstract art style and simple plots it started with. In other words, Sonic CD but in 3D. I think there's a best yet undiscovered way to play Sonic in 3 dimensions, and it would make SA feel clunky. Lost World almost had it with its exploration of how Sonic could traverse a level, but the execution was flawed. Another person presented his own theory, but the lengthyy video didn't have any running prototypes and I'm more visual learner.

Back to the "Chao should have their own game" argument: game development has never cost more for AAA publishers. The Chao Garden could be seen as a money pit that might not boost sales. AFAIK marketers have never had as much influence over development as they do now. I think they'd probably say something along the lines of "the demographics for baby/pet sims and 3D platformers do not overlap. There will be no CG."

A beacon hope is Sonic Mania. Sega, in a commendable move that should be mimicked by more companies, let fans make the modern 2D Sonic game they wanted to buy. Depending on how well SM does and if someone steps up with a high quality CG sequel maybe it could happen. Otherwise I envision the next Chao game to be some mobile Tamagotchi clone with microtransactions.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^AAA development costs are at an all-time high. However, with what AAA has come to mean in game development terms, it could be argued that AAA is the last direction you'd want to take an IP like Sonic or Chao.

Indie development, from what I've heard, has fewer barriers to entry than at any point in history and has produced some truly phenomenal games in recent years. Among other things, I hear Freedom Planet is a better Sonic game than anything Sega has given us in years. Based on my limited knowledge, this would arguably be the better direction to take moving forward with any Sonic or Chao project, and Sonic Mania sounds to actually be doing this.