SA2B: Tips for 180 emblems?

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
CanSteam
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: canpaw but with my own email

SA2B: Tips for 180 emblems?

Post by CanSteam »

I eventually want to 100% complete this game, but most of the missions are straight up impossible for me to even finish? Some of them are impossible to A, some are impossible to not die on, etc. etc. etc.

The 100 coins for most mech and hunting stages are a big roadblock for me atm, and the timed missions for Sonic and Shadow are huge pains in the butt, and once again, some A's are straight up impossible for me, and some levels I can't even complete..

So any tips?
is the pikmin in my avatar on something or...
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: SA2B: Tips for 180 emblems?

Post by Ivogoji »

1- Practice. None of them are impossible.

2- Look up videos on the web of players A ranking stages, try to match what they do.

If you tell me what exact stages you need help with I can offer some tips.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Since this is a game where 100% pretty much requires mastery of every level, it's hard to give advice more specific than practice, practice, practice.

That said, the first task needed for Straight-A on most levels is getting good enough to clear mission 1 without dying, and the next is to do so without taking a hit. In fact, the not dying part is a requirement to even clear mission 4 on most stages.

That said, I'd recommend setting smaller goals, such as replacing E-ranks with D-ranks, D-ranks with C-ranks, and so on, and of course, getting E-ranks in missions you've never completed. Trying for an A-rank on missions you've never completed or one's you've only ever gotten an E or D on is just asking to be discouraged.

Also, if you've just A-ranked Mission 1 or 4, that is probably a good time to try and A-rank the other. I say this because, when you're going for A-ranks, these missions are pretty much indistinguishable(and in most cases, an A-rank run of mission 2 looks like the opening of an A-rank run of Missions 1/4).
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

With regard to 100 ring missions, in those you're often expected to locate well-hidden boxes of rings in a timely manner. Watching video playthroughs is helpful here to see where the rings are in each stage.

With the timed missions, depending on the stage there may be shortcuts or ways to shave off seconds as you run, but I can only offer advice for specific stages. Again watching videos can be helpful.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
CanSteam
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: canpaw but with my own email

Post by CanSteam »

I'd imagine mission 3 is the easiest for each stage.
I seriously have no idea where the devs would hide extra ring boxes in stuff like Mission Street.
Now, on the hunting levels, I remember a speedrunner doing each mission easily through exploiting the Back Ring, annd using the Sunglasses/Treasure Scope for extra rings.

So, I suppose I should just focus on completing all the missions? E rank, that's it? I'm dreading the driving stages enough to where I'm doing rouge and tails last.
is the pikmin in my avatar on something or...
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Ugh, if I remember correctly, Route 101/280, along with Cannon's Core were the only levels I never cleared all the missions, and that's despite beating the Cart Racing mini-game.

But yeah, once you memorize where the lost chao are, those missions are probably the easiest to A-rank if only because they're the only missions where getting hit isn't likely to completely ruin a run.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

with knuckles/rouge's 100 rings your best bet is to get one ring, take damage, and then plot a route that ends up back at the start with 50+ rings. go into the back ring and repeat for (usually) an easy A