So yesterday a friend of mine tried to say that

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Zphal
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Zphal »

Super Mario Galaxy was the first game to implement the whole "spherical gaming concept".

But I was there to inform him that no, Sonic Extreme was the first, it just was never released. :herocool:
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Re: So yesterday a friend of mine tried to say that

Post by Snowy »

OMG SO SWAGGER FABULOUS OMAH GA

Good for you, I guess?
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

It doesn't count really if it wasn't released, because a lot of things can happen during development to change how a game would work. (SEE: Sonic The Hedgehog (2006))

EDIT: Animal Crossing was semi-spherical
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
quartzlcc
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Check out my pecs!

Post by quartzlcc »

EvilPinkamina wrote:It doesn't count really if it wasn't released, because a lot of things can happen during development to change how a game would work. (SEE: Sonic The Hedgehog (2006))
There are playable builds of Sonic X-Treme, with the whole spherical fish-eye thing going on. Does that "count" yet? Lol! I mean honestly, whose standards are we going by here and why does it matter. The innovation was first done by Sonic X-Treme. Super Mario Galaxy isn't any less awesome or anything.
Wrath of Kinto Q - Chao Roleplay! - Click here!
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Zphal wrote:"spherical gaming concept".
And exactly what does this concept refer to?

Though, even if we ignore cancelled games and prototypes:

Mad Space from SA2 features non-standard gravity more complicated than simple inversion or sideways gravity.
The Gex games featured a protagonist that could walk up walls and accross ceilings.
Yoshi's Island featured a Boss Battle that had you running around a small planet with gravity always point towrds its center.
Tetrisphere and Blue Sphere(from S3K) both feature toroidal game boards that are displayed as spheres.
And probably countless other games that screw with gravity or play around with game maps that aren't flat or box-like.
MintyMyndi
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Hooray for Earth!

Post by MintyMyndi »

EvilPinkamina wrote: Animal Crossing was semi-spherical
Actually, the series was entirely flat until Wild World, and the cover art shows the world being round. That was the first game that allowed you to see the sky as well. Due to this, the harvest moon festival thing is rather sad, with all of the villagers gathered around the river pool looking up, and you relying on the moon's reflection in the water to see it.

But I'd count unreleased games. And Xtreme was probably one of the first, as I can't imagine that many had thought video games would ever end up doing that at that time.
Have you seen the alternate victory dance in Chao Karate?
http://youtu.be/dyxcEji3-0I (my video)
http://youtu.be/FpO6Wg84NiM (better quality, thanks to FrankT)
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Uhm, I'm just gonna point out that Sonic Xtreme doesn't look spherical as it does just uncomfortably distorted, and doesn't take the spherical idea in a similar way to Galaxy at all. In fact, I would call what I've seen from it a more cylindrical style of gameplay than a spherical idea because there's no up or down distortion, just distortion at the sides.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Kavomatovlraf
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by Kavomatovlraf »

I tried to look for it to make sure I didnt just re-post something. I didnt see it in there. I guess this can be deleted or whatever then.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

Makes me think of the Gravity Boots from Ratchet and Clank that are really similar
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

I would consider a "spherical" game to be a game that not only uses circular worlds, but to also adapt the game's mechanics and physics around the shape (IE not just being a fish-eye lens view). In a way, Sonic 3's mini game could be considered as such.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa