Shadow The Hedgehog

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Shadow The Hedgehog

Post by Tobi »

I've read of this game as a child. You could play as Shadow, you can carry guns, ride motorcycles and choose a path that gives you certain weaponry or vehicles and all that.

I'm planning on buying it.

Despite the bad feedback. Why is that though? What is actually so bad about Shadow the Hedgehog? Why is it hated on so much? It looks really cool, and from what I played on my super laggy Dolphin simulator, it was a lot of fun despite the 20% runtime.

I just feel like actually playing through the game to see. I have a hard time believing it's actually that bad, though at the same time, seeing a playthrough of just the beginning and first level of 06, they were right about that...
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Re: Shadow The Hedgehog

Post by CitrusCat »

I've played it, it's fine in my opinion. I enjoyed it. I got stuck, though, because I got to a part in this one level which required a wall jump - something I could never get the hang of. So I kept falling to my death until I was on my last life, and then I just gave up. :P

But yeah, it's not a bad game in my opinion.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Yukki
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: Cupcakes are evil.

Post by Yukki »

its

okay.

I mean, the controls are slippery and some of your partners can get really annoying over time but what really bugs me is the story.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Plus, it can go from a beautifully rendered cutscene to terrible, bad-quality graphics in just a few seconds. Also, if you plan on 100%ing the game, you gotta be prepared to go through the game at least 11 times cause it wont let you choose a stage, rather, it makes you go all the way back to square one if you wanna play a certain stage again. In my opinion, not a great game but is worth playing at least once.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

It's mediocre hands down; not worth one dime. Controls aren't responsive, gun and vehicle mechanics are shallow and unrealized and might as well be ignored, the difficulty curve between the morality alignments is unbalanced and being evil--horribly written--is vastly more rewarding from a gameplay perspective as your hero power is counter productive. You'll sit through atrocious level design, repeat end bosses, and multiple endings that end the same way, just so you can play a short final story designed to apologize for any semblance of writing being butchered by the laughable Sonic Team's excuse for voice acting and script writing. Sure, the premise made me buy it on release day, but even the first Prototype game puts it to shame.

If you can get it for about $5-10 I suppose it's alright to be, er, amusing. Sorry that's in American currency, I don't want to butcher the conversion.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

It's €19.40, which, for the record, would be more than $19.40.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

Much less than that then.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

I personally enjoyed it when I was younger, it's basically just Shadow's gameplay from Adventure 2 with guns, a deeper story with branching paths, power ups... and I even enjoyed the multiplayer.
Saccharose
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Saccharose »

most of the writing is atrocious and some of the gameplay mechanics are underutilized but overall it's a decent game, it plays a lot like heroes and the gunplay is fairly serviceable
Fox Boy wrote:She's been allowed back for a reason and we haven't banned her again because we have decided she could stay longer than what was first implied. She can stay for as long as we, or she, sees fit. So I don't think anyone should act surprised Sable overstayed what her original time frame was, or that she was allowed back in the first place.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

I actually did not know there was multiplayer?? Anyone care to elaborate how multiplayer is like? I've heard people in the chat say it's better than singeplayer.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGPv3fhBWRY

I had fun when i was young but its too slipery for me to go back to.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Tobi wrote:I actually did not know there was multiplayer?? Anyone care to elaborate how multiplayer is like? I've heard people in the chat say it's better than singeplayer.
The normal gunplay, which is a little dodgy, against a friend splitscreen.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

KeatonLabs wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGPv3fhBWRY

I had fun when i was young but its too slipery for me to go back to.
I'd rather not get major spoilers, since it should be obvious at this point that I haven't played this game.
EvilPinkamina wrote:
Tobi wrote:I actually did not know there was multiplayer?? Anyone care to elaborate how multiplayer is like? I've heard people in the chat say it's better than singeplayer.
The normal gunplay, which is a little dodgy, against a friend splitscreen.
So it's just a battle between you and a friend? Sounds boring. I kind of expected someone to take over Sonic in the storyline or something, that'd be cool.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

While that is the "official" multiplayer mode, I heard that a second player can control the partner characters such as Sonic in the single player mode. Not sure if it's true, but I wouldn't be very surprised since you could do the same thing with Tails (in Sonic's stages) in SADX. (I tried it myself when I found out, and it worked.)
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Yeah a second player can control sonic and tails in some stages like in SADX
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

I'm still stuck between getting it and not getting it. I'm not really convinced that it's much more awful than the next sonic game that isn't 06...
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Its like GTA if you take out the open world, gun variety, humor, and ability to aim and add anthropomorphic hedgehogs.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

Gun variety shouldn't lack THAT much from GTA games from what I've heard, specially considering it's a game that shouldn't even include games. Still curious though.
Palmpoa Commander
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Palmpoa Commander »

you get to use a purple toilet seat twice the size of your body as a weak energy pistol of some kind.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Shadow the hedgehog isnt something i'd go into if your looking for story, even if you take a certain route, some of it doesnt make sense no matter how you put it together. And you have to play westopolis ten times to get the last story segment, which means all your choices dont matter and making shadow cannonicly an anti hero, not a robot or a villain.

The gun gameplay isnt bad but its auto aiming is rather finicky. It doesnt seem to know when to aim at the enemy's all the time. The guns are also pretty lacking as some are very similar to others, and the only one that comes to mind is the alien one that makes purple, slow moving rings.

The gameplay is also very VERY slippery which makes walking around frustrating. This game also lacks any unscripted speed, shadow is naturally slow, and while you do have a spindash, its about as effective as sonic 06's.

The textures of the game are also incredibly uninspired and all look similar, kinda like a COD game. Its a lot of brown grey and purple and its not much else.

Music in this game is also very forgettable, the only pieces i can remember are westopolis because you play it ten ****ing times and never turn back and a couple of the other vocal tracks.

If you do want to get it, i'd suggest getting it for very cheap, it's really not even worth 12 dollars.
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

Here's my say on the story:
Shadow the Hedgehog makes sense if separated into a timeline with branches that could affect the whole Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, like the Legend Of Zelda.
*Eggman is killed by Neutral Shadow in a different branch, where the possibility of a new main antagonist for Sonic and co. into the series in later games for a different Sonic branch.
*Shadow kills the Human race in another branch, making Shadow the possible new main antagonist or one of new possible antagonists for a separate branch in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise
*Shadow kills the aliens and helps the humans in the official canon, branch.

KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Well heres the thing, this can't be compared to Zelda, because Zelda has games that follow a certain branch, but ALL of sonics games follow the Last Story, which pits shadow as an anti hero. They make you think your choices matter but they really don't, and even then, the story itself is a huge mess.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Bad writing aside, Shadow the Hedgehog is hardly the first game to have branching story lines where all but one path amount to little more than what if scenarios in regards to the canon of the larger franchise, and unlike a lot of games with branching story threads, it does at least tell you which is the 'True' path rather than waiting until a sequel or Word of God retcons all other paths out of existence.
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

I enjoy playing the game, but the controls are a little slippery and the writing is not that great (which is a Sonic staple at this point *cough* Lost World besides the nail art scene *cough*), but the game is a good time waster if you need one. I got my copy for 10 bucks, so I recommend getting a cheap copy because the game isn't worth the 30 or 40 dollars a GameCube game can cost
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”