Ten Years Since Sonic 06 - Retrospect?

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
CFood
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: I'm excited for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3

Ten Years Since Sonic 06 - Retrospect?

Post by CFood »

Okay, so I'd like to have a somewhat normal discussion of Sonic 06 that's not just heated saltiness.

Okay so let's face the two big elephants right now, that I'm sure everyone knows about. The story has many paradoxes, which tends to happen with time travel stories and then it retconned itself out of existence furthering the disdain of players. And the game is riddled with bugs and glitches due to it's rushed nature.

Now ignoring the story, as the stories of Sonic games have never really been that good or interesting to begin with I think (except maybe Shadow's backstory). All I feel the stories have going for them is they're a spectacle, they look cool, they're action packed. How do you feel the reception would have been if the game weren't so rushed and actually had been finished to the point of being smooth and such. At least to an Adventure bar.

And overall, since that game hit shelves and did terribly, how do you think that affected the franchise as a whole?

I guess, another specific question to ask is if you were trying to fix the story, how would you do so? (I've got nothing to say about this myself so I am curious what you all have to say)

And well, anything else you wanna say about the game in general. It's been 10 years, I think we can finally have a discussion that's not just filled with salt and heat. (And by we I mean myself with anyone else as every time I've tried, the other party I speak to doesn't really say anything besides IT'S TRASH)

I think the game would have done amazing and no one would really question the story as much because the game wouldn't have been so bad for people to find other things to be upset about.

And since 06, they have only released two entirely 3D Sonic games. None of that switching back and forth they've been doing. Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Boom. Both of which didn't do so well for their own reasons. I feel like SEGA got scared and stopped trying. Notice Japan didn't do anything full-3D after Sonic Unleashed, and it was an American studio that made Boom. Generally this has left a sour taste in my mouth as my favourites have been from Adventure to Shadow, and they failed with 06 and have since stopped trying.
Look at dem ocarinas tho:

So you like Chao right? (Well, obviously) Hey, take a look, support the movement, maybe we'll get SEGA to release a Chao Garden app for smartphones??
Facebook · Twitter
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Ten Years Since Sonic 06 - Retrospect?

Post by chaoadventures »

Did terrible? Naw, everyone thought it was gonna be the best game ever made so it sold well (HD SONIC WHAT.). It's a Xbox Platinum Hit for a reason. (If you we talking about reception, well okay then.)

Even though I haven't finshed the game, (My brother and I are playing through it right now. Because glitches are amusing. And so is this.) before I got the game (Sometime last year) I looked at parts of the plot and other things. One thing I found is the way the Emeralds were counted was all wonky.

It's not even the fact they went through time that ruined it. The Red Emerald showed up out of nowhere. Not the floor. Not the jungle. Just because we need it right now.

The rest of the story? No clue. Sonic's story was confusing and confusing and pointless. From what I can tell.
Shadow's seems like it's going somewhere. I didn't finish the first level though. Silver's is... The History of Trunks. So similar it hurts. Might wanna change that though.

Since I'm here, I also want to say Sonic Chronicles has the best story. It's not made by Sonic Team (It's Bioware, to be exact), or a main sonic game even, but it's still the best.

Of course, I want to say what ruined it for me. Not the glitches, to be honest. It's the GAMEPLAY ITSELF.

To sum it up real quick:
Spoiler:
Sonic = See also "Shadow". Too slow. Homing Attack doesn't give momentum. Spin Dash is unresponsive. Spin Dash is just as fast as max speed Sonic.
Don't waste your time with it. Bounce Attack (Right?) is... wrong? Best way to describe it. The Slide-kick-thing, isn't a bad replacement for the somersault, actually, good job.
MACH SPEED SECTIONS on the other hand... These are terrible. It's like they knew this game was too slow last second, and cobbled this together. The surplus of
ensuing glitches is nice though.

Tails = EVEN SLOWER. Confusing fly mechanics didn't make it any better. The Dummy Ring Snipe, isn't a replacement for Tails' tail swipe.

Knuckles = Actually okay. Somehow, Knuckles is the most bearable character in the entire game, because he has a moderate speed.

Silver = Too slow. Also boring to play.

Blaze = Too slow. Her jumps react really weird to momentum. It's hard to explain. In short, it's bad. She also has a terrible bootleg of the Homing Attack.

Shadow = See also "Sonic". Too Slow. If you keep pressing Homing Attack/Jump button, Shadow does some kinda useless mid-air fit.
Vehicles are like if all the work that was put into SA1 and 2's Kart Sub Games were: 1. Thrown down a drain. 2. Programming info for it was passed down using the telephone game.

Rouge = From what I remember... See also "Tails".

I don't know what Omega and Amy play like. I predict "Too slow". Most of this is memory since I haven't played it in several months.

Definition of "Too slow" you ask? Slower than Mario in every 3D Mario game. If they can't do that in the game they've failed.

Seriously, I can't bear it, and if the main purpose of Sonic being Sonic is to go fast, then what were they doing?????

I don't mean Sonic Rush fast, I don't mean Sonic Unleashed fast. I mean Sonic Adventure 2 fast. Just enough speed, just enough control.
Lack of Chao Gardens also hurts the game.

How I feel about this game really briefly: Glitchy, unresponsive, and TOO DANG SLOW.
But back to the questions.

The franchise? Yes. From what I can tell, Sonic '06 has made Sonic Team stray away from Adventure styled games. The redesigns looked wrong. Especially Eggman.
Why redesign something that isn't failing? Because, If I remember correctly, most people liked Heroes (Somehow) and Shadow was far enough from actual Sonic to keep it on everyone's good (enough) side
who didn't like it (Includes me).

Would this game have been fixed if it wasn't released early? No. But would it have been fixed glitch-wise? Yes, at least I hope so.
Gameplay, not so much, but I think enough for me to put it on par with Adventure 1 and 2.
The Story would probably still have just as many holes.

The reception would be less centered on the glitches and more on the gameplay flaws I just went over and plot holes.

One more thing: Sonic Unleashed wasn't entirely 3D. The boost levels had 2D parts.

ONE MORE THING. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, was not entirely 3D if I remember correctly. I remember playing through a few portions of 2D platforming.

Sonic hasn't been 100% 3D since '06. Unless you count the Storybook games, which are actually 3D.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

It's a ****** game and a ****** mark on the reputation of Sonic the Hedgehog as a series. The only good thing that came out of the game is that it's one of the best examples of why early holiday release dates and rushing to meet them is stupid.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

I feel as if since Boom, Sega still haven't learned.

Sonic is this weird "thing" from the 90's, that's so out of place in this generation that Sega just don't really care, no one knows what to do with him but games need to be made so Sega can make a quick buck.

06 could've been good, but Sony and Microsoft rushed Sega to finish it so they'd both have a game on their system in the early days.

I still don't understand what happened to the Generations team, I mean they're the perfect guys for Sonic yet Sega don't do much with them.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
CFood
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: I'm excited for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3

Post by CFood »

I know exactly what you mean with the gameplay. But I feel like part of that was them not spending time with it to make it what feels good. However, that's not a guarantee.

I mean they finished Sonic Unleashed but they couldn't even keep the homing attack on the same button as jumping.

As for Tails, yeah nothing would fix him.
Look at dem ocarinas tho:

So you like Chao right? (Well, obviously) Hey, take a look, support the movement, maybe we'll get SEGA to release a Chao Garden app for smartphones??
Facebook · Twitter
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

The question of whether or not the gameplay was more unfinished or just badly done is actually a really big question.

That said, since Sonic is the main character, I would guess that Sonic himself would be more complete. Or faster, since he's roughly the same speed as everyone else.
But other things like Shadow's vehicles, might have been unfinished. Silver on the other hand just feels like his gameplay is too far gone to work anyways.

I forgot they changed the button for the homing attack in the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed though.
They changed it back in the Wii version for some reason. (Which also has entirely different levels.)

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
arkhamtheknight
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by arkhamtheknight »

Silver was the odd character, Shadow was cool but now just a random side guy, Tails has been useless since SA2. Sonic was once faster than everyone until Tails ended up at the same speed which was like WTF. The bugs were great and sometimes funny at first but made the game bad. The old Dreamcast team was the best team they had. 2 good 3D games that was useful and didn't do deals with MS or Sony or Nintendo and couldn't completely mess up games. Plus we have had Eggman Nega, Eggman Classic, Eggman Modern and more Eggman's than anyone else. They should just restart Sonic all over again and think like the old team did. It's the 25th Anniversary and no news for it.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Never played that game :v
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD