Ending Score Glitch

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
SwifterTheDragon
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Ending Score Glitch

Post by SwifterTheDragon »

I was playing Sonic The Hedgehog on mobile.
I was playing a new save file entirely that I just deleted.
I destroyed every enemy possible (There's a few that are impossible to destroy to my knowledge.)
I collected all 225 rings.
This was in Green Hill Zone.
By the time I finished the act, the timer reached 9:59 and I finished thankfully.
The score bonus gave me enough points for two free lives.
Is this a glitch? I tried doing it again intentionally avoiding rings and enemies altogether, waited for the timer to reach 9:59 again and got 2 free lives again. I even tried this on every zone. I got two free lives every single time.
I even tried this on the Sonic Mega Collecion for GameCube and it still worked for me in every zone.
Does this happen to anybody else?
Do you know why this would happen?
I have a best time of 21 seconds on Green Hill Zone Act 1 and it only gave me one free life worth of points.
Also why does the score use two zeros that never change, waste of bytes to render it.
This opens up a completely different way for a score attack WR.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Ending Score Glitch

Post by chaoadventures »

I believe that's normal, at least in Sonic 3.

I can't speak for Sonic 1 or 2 since I don't play them very often, if ever, but I assume this is also the intended effect in them.

I can't find a Time Bonus table for any of the games at all either, so all I can offer you is this video of it happening in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Also the score probably shows extra zeroes to 1.), allow the developers to add things that increase your score by lower amounts and 2.) to make the score you have seem much bigger than it is,
and therefore a much bigger sense of accomplishment.

I personally expect this to be a known tactic for score attack runs, but I'm guessing they also try to see who can do it the fastest as well.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
SwifterTheDragon
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Re: Ending Score Glitch

Post by SwifterTheDragon »

If you were to bounce off of enemy one and onto enemy 2, the amount of points you obtain from destroying enemy 1 compared to enemy 2 would be a higher value. Because of this score attacks often have large combos. Some enemies walk off cliffs, or despawn quickly. Those are the only reasons score attacks in Sonic games go fast that I know of now.