Dream Games

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Dream Games

Post by Ivogoji »

Sonic Adventure 3 ideas
Ivogoji wrote:"Sonic Adventure 3" (with that exact title) probably isn't in the cards, but a return to the SA-style gameplay would be cool and could happen. I'd like to see-

1-Special Stages return, but are important to the story line, with characters competing to access them and gather the Chaos Emeralds. Boss fights could also be carried out within the Special Stage. This sort of idea was used to excellent effect in Sonic Triple Trouble/Sonic & Tails II, and there's no reason why it wouldn't work in a 3D game.

2-Chao Gardens, of course, vastly upgraded from the previous system.

3-Backwards compatibility with the SA and SA2 Chao Gardens. Somehow.

4-Better controls. Like not having nearly every action require pressing the B button. Homing Attack that actually homes in. Just make things smoother and faster.

5-Adventure fields like in SA, but more like a ubiquitous 'hub' that allows the player to access the Sound Test, Options Menu, Actions Stages, and so forth with the character. The only features that aren't accessible in the Adventure field would be the file select and character select, which appear when you start the game. The 'world map' featured in SA2 can be used as an instant Stage Select menu, while the character being played can access their own stages from the Adventure field.

6-Each area has different enemies. The old games rarely had two zones share one enemy, and instead featured a huge variety of badniks specific to each stage. The 3D games are very lacking in this regard, with uniform foes swarming every stage. More varied, more creative mooks would make for an enjoyable gaming experience.

7-Treasure hunting stages like Knuckles' and Rouge's in SA2. Perhaps with wider areas to explore than the original two games offered. Also, Adventure fields containing hidden items the treasure hunters need to progress within the story (like keys or such) and access new stages.

8-Rouge's boobs bounce more.

9-Less linear gameplay. More freedom to take different paths to clearing stages. Going along with my idea for Special Stages that play a role in the story line, perhaps they are accessed by locating hidden Giant Rings as in Sonic3&Knuckles, allowing for mutliple ways to follow the plot of the game.

10-Multiple modes of gameplay for Tails (and other character I guess, but especially him). Some stages have standard Sonic-like gameplay where the player controls Tails without a mech, others are Gamma-style shooters with Tails piloting a walker, while others are 'sub-games' that have him flying around in a biplane (as in Sky Chase of SA) or driving an automobile (as in Route 101 of SA2) or even piloting a submarine (as in Triple Trouble and Tails Adventure). Other characters can also have different gameplay modes, perhaps similarly piloting vehicles, or maybe riding Extreme Gear. Although, this would call for an utterly massive number of stages for the characters to have balanced playing opportunities, made even worse if Sonic's story importance means he gets more levels to advance the plot.

11-In answer to the above problem of an implausible number of stages, characters can access other characters' stages if they share gameplay. Perhaps all of Tails' stages in the story are shooters or submarine levels, but you can go to the Adventure field and play one of Sonic's stages as a mechless Tails. Same for other characters. We would no longer need to use glitches to see Tails get chased by a whale or action replay to make Eggman out run a giant truck. Goals for each stage vary with the character being played and the challenge being... challenged.

12-Playable characters- Sonic (platformer, biplane sub-game), Tails (platformer, biplane sub-game, driving sub-game, shooter, submarine.... sub.... game), Knuckles (platformer, treasure hunter, submarine sub-game), Amy (platformer, treasure hunter, driving sub-game), Shadow (platformer, shooter), Rouge (platformer, treasure hunter, driving sub-game[just plays Amy's stages? Or vice-versa.]), Eggman (platformer, shooter, biplane sub-game), Metal Sonic (platformer, driving sub-game), Fang (platformer, treasure hunter, shooter, driving sub-game), Silver (platformer, uh.....), Blaze (platformer, treasure hunter), Cream & Cheese (platformer, submarine sub-game, I guess), E-123 Omega (platformer, shooter [just plays Shadows stages?]), Big (platformer, biplane sub-game, submare sub-game [your mission is to destroy fish]), Espio (platformer, treasure hunter), Vector (platformer, driving sub-game), Charmy (platformer, biplane sub-game).
Only like half of them actually need to be important to the plot though. The rest can be unlockable for getting so many emblems or whatever.
Ivogoji wrote: The topic was prompted from playing SADX and wondering what a sequel to the game would be like if the elements SA2 dropped were still present.

Some of my own ideas:
- Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, and Big each have their own storyline and gameplay style
- Story mode has the characters going through stages unique to each of them, but post story gameplay lets the characters access each others' levels
- Sonic's gameplay is largely the same, but now he can execute a variety of tricks to garner points (like in the bonafide SA2 and Sonic Rush); the kind of rank he gets (now S through E) is largely determined by the complexity of tricks performed and the amount of time it takes to complete the stage
- Tails only has one action stage where he races another character, the rest of his gameplay consists of subgames like the Sky Chase stage, Snowboarding, Pinball, and Cart racing mini-games.
- Knuckles stages are basically the usual treasure hunting gameplay, but now each stage has a different mission objective, and doesn't necessarily involve finding items in groups of three (think of the Chaotix's levels in Sonic Heroes). Sometimes he has to destroy certain enemies without attacking any others, or find a certain number of small animals, or blow out torches to activate the defense system, etc.
- Like you guys suggested, Amy's gameplay would involve more exploration and puzzle solving stages. She no longer has to run from ZERO, but each of her stages has some similar threat that must be avoided and can't be killed. One could work like the Egg Beetle in SA2, but the others would be all unique.
- Eggman would serve as Gamma's replacement and have shooter stages. This time however the clock counts down rather than up and Eggman needs to rack up targets to keep the timer from running out. Subsequently his gameplay is faster than in SA2, with the focus on reaching the end of the stage with a decent amount of time left to spare. Eggman can also exit the Egg Walker when playing other characters' stages, and has a move set better suited to combat than his Chao Garden form.
- Big the Cat would have improved fishing gameplay, more like the fishing mini-game in Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, with the ability to customize his fishing gear and use different lures for different fish. Type of fish is now as important as size, and different stages demand different catches. He would also have improved gameplay just for running around the stages, more like the way he works in Sonic Heroes, and now he would be able fight enemies effectively using the fishing rod as a huge flail.
- Sonic can play Tails' sub-games and Knuckles treasure hunting stages outside of story mode. In the latter case, items that would normally be accessible just to Knuckles (for example buried underground) will only appear where Sonic can get them, and Sonic can in turn access areas in the stage Knuckles cannot. Sonic uses a handheld radar to detect items with his own quirks distinct from Knuckles' ability to sense the Emeralds.
- Tails can play all of Sonic's stages using his classical gameplay style and also Eggman's shooter stages, now piloting the Cyclone walker like the actual SA2.
- Knuckles can play all of Sonic's stages and Amy's stages. Both Tails and Knuckles can pull off their kinds of tricks when playing Sonic's stages.
- Amy can play all of Big's stages and all of Knuckles stages, gaining a Piko Piko Hammer-style fishing rod for the former and a dowsing rod to detect treasure for the latter. As in Sonic's case there are locations in the stage only she can reach and items don't appear where she can't reach.
- Eggman can play all of Big's stages and all of Tails' subgames. Yes, including the radical snowboarding mini-game BI
- Big can play all of Amy's stages and all of Eggman's shooter stages, piloting the Egg Walker and Cyclone interchangably as in SA2DC's multiplayer mode.
Sonic Battle Sequel idea
Ivogoji wrote: Fri May 20, 2016 4:51 am Things I'd want to see in Sonic Battle 2:

Emerl/G-mel returning, or at least being replicated with a similar fully customizable character (the replacement that would make the most sense is Metal Sonic).

Customization options for regular Sonic characters. Useful for multiplayer, so even if two opponents are using the same character they don't necessarily have the same moves. For example, Sonic could have one air action that imitates the Jump Dash, another that imitates the Insta-Shield, and another that works like the Bounce ability, using which ever skill is equipped for that action.

Character specific upgrades that act like armor and influence stats or grant certain bonuses.

Keep the "One Hit Knock Out Gauge", but instead of having it activate when using the R-button move/heavy attack, have it allow the character use a special move in the standard attack's place. Have the auto-block feature that negates R/heavy strikes work the same as before.

Expand the roster to include Metal Sonic, Big, Omega, Vector, Espio, Charmy, fully payable Dr. Eggman, Tikal, Blaze, Silver, and maybe some additional characters like Shade, Marine, or a cameo-ing NiGHTS (I feel that a modern, competitive fighting game should have 20 fighters minimum).

More complex stages that feature things like hazards players can exploit or where certain events will happen depending on what the characters are doing. Sonic Battle's stages were essentially for flavor; there were no particular features to differentiate them except how the platforms were arranged.

Some additional gameplay modes, including settings where you can fight custom versions of Emerl, one on one or against hordes or in survival runs of increasing difficulty.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: They ruined my home!

Re: Dream Games

Post by epcthunderfist987 »

I want a 3D sequel to Sonic Battle. Preferably one that contains Chao Gardens. I just love the Chao Gardens. :herocool: :cool: :darkcool:

Also, my ideas for Sonic Adventure 3:

More playable characters, including creatable characters like in Sonic Forces, but you can also set an alignment to either hero or dark.

More Chao gardens.

Ability to transfer chao from older Sonic Adventure titles... I also think this could have been used in SA2B.

Online Chao competitions

Hub worlds like in the first Sonic Adventure.

platform exclusive characters: Mario (Nintendo Switch), Cloud (Playstation 4), Banjo (Xbox One), and the TF2 Pyro (Steam)

and finally, The ability to play as Eggman outside of that mech from SA2. And I mean other than the Chao Garden.
Crappi's Codec frequency: 149.87

Lyn's Codec frequency: 140.64
Yingwipada
Egg
Egg

Post by Yingwipada »

The content has been read, it is very useful. I tried to understand it, I really like it.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

What we have to remember is that it's been so long and the dev team that built the original Sonic Adventure series is long gone. Look at the quality of adventure-themed Sonic games as of today. Aside from Sonic Colors it doesn't even hold a pencil. My fear is that if they ever do bring back Chao Gardens, they could screw it up like they have so many 3D Sonic games.
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

ChrisOfChaos wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:19 am What we have to remember is that it's been so long and the dev team that built the original Sonic Adventure series is long gone. Look at the quality of adventure-themed Sonic games as of today. Aside from Sonic Colors it doesn't even hold a pencil. My fear is that if they ever do bring back Chao Gardens, they could screw it up like they have so many 3D Sonic games.
I get it. My guess is that Sega is worried that they might mess up badly with implementing Chao Gardens into newer titles. Besides, I'm glad they didn't add the Chao Garden into newer games like the Sonic Boom games, or Forces. But I can't help but wonder how they'd screw it up if they had...

Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

"Aside from Sonic Colors"

>implying Colors is even good enough itself
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

I wouldn't know. I haven't played Sonic Colors. I don't have the money to drop on a copy for the wii or DS. but I did just recently try Sonic Unleashed, and let me tell you, I actually enjoy the combat based Werehog levels in that. If only there was a little more... variety, I'll call it. There should have been more SA2B features, like the 2-player battle mode, maybe more playable characters. I dunno. I kinda like it. :thinking:

Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Lack of playable characters and lack of bonus content have been my two biggest complaints about recent Sonic games.

The Adventure duology really gave you good reasons to replay them.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Ivogoji wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:50 pm The Adventure duology really gave you good reasons to replay them.
I agree. The adventure games were awesome. Great gameplay, fantastic level design, and the SWEET SWEET Chao Gardens!