So have you guys been getting your anime doses?

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Gondi
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Re: So have you guys been getting your anime doses?

Post by Gondi »

I was thinking of picking up the new release of Cardcaptor Sakura, I'm just on the fence about it because I think I'll miss old English opening too much.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

SO HOW BOUT THAT EVANGELION ENDING HUH

AIN'T THAT SOMETHING

no but srs tho wtf plz halp

The best way to describe it for me is...

I mean for an ending it doesn't really do anything. It just sort of gives me a 40 minute Sociology lesson about why we have to accept ourselves for what we are and in doing so the value we place on ourselves through what others think of us.

Also, for a second there I believed Shinji somehow retconned the entire god damn series through the power of his mind or something when Asuka went to wake him up.

Still, now I want to watch more 90's anime that was a staple for Anime back then.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Vaporwave
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Vaporwave »

@ retro: you should also watch the end of evangelion, which is a movie that was meant to be originally intended ending of evangelion while the tv ending was produced based on an ultra-restrictive budget

however though, it's not as if the end of evangelion replaces the tv ending, but rather the two endings supplement each other in regards to understanding the conclusion of the series

the tv ending focuses more on shinji's acceptance of himself and openness to the world

while the end of evangelion is more physical, as it shows the eventual fate of nerv, seele, and the evangelions

to be quite honest though, as much as i love the end of evangelion for how much more entertaining it is to watch over the tv ending, the tv ending feels much more conclusive though in terms of functioning as an ending. end of eva leaves you feeling a sense of wanting more, while there's a sense of satisfaction with the tv ending, but both are just as difficult to understand the first time around.

overall, the tv ending is the psychological side of eva's conclusion, while the end of evangelion is the physical side of eva's conclusion. they are equally important to each other

retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

^

Haha, I remember watching it and thinking "did they run out of budget or something here?"

But yeah, surprisingly the torrent I downloaded did not include the movie for whatever reason when it's pretty important in understanding the ending it seems.

I'll get around to it soon enough.

Overall though, while I didn't hate it, I can't say that I liked it as much as other animes I've seen. It's like an anime you watch when you first start watching anime, much like Death Note. It's by no means bad, but a lot of episodes felt like nothing was happening and when something did it was quite predictable and unsatisfactory. Although the later episodes soon had much more action and the scenes were better by far.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Well, finished marathoning the Animax dub of Cardcaptor Sakura. Overall, I'd say it's leagues better than the Nelvana dub, but I must say I much prefer the Incantations from the Nelvana dub. I'm not sure why, but the incantations in the Animax dub just seem too lackluster to be words of power.

Still working on Ranma, currently in the mid 20s.

Recently downloaded the first season of Megaman Battle Network's anime and have listened to the first 3 episodes. I'll decide whether to download the remaining season once I finish the first.

Haven't downloaded it yet(want to reduce my watch list some first), but I've finally found a torrent for Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

Recently ordered the 8th of the Ojamajo Doremi lightnovels along with Vols 3 and 4 of Motto Ojamajo Doremi's DVDs from CDJapan. Would've had completed my Ojamajo Doremi DVD collection years ago(excluding the few volumes that went out of print before I got hold of them), but a crappy exchange rate made the already high prices skyrocket for several years there. Thankfully, the USD/JPY exchange rate is back up around 120 yen per dollar, so I was able to nab the LN and both DVD for under 1000 USD.
rascal401
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: Deck him in the face! Do it, nerd!

Post by rascal401 »

Probably the most I've been getting into is Fullmetal Alchemist, and I'm not too savvy with my anime tiers so I'm not sure how good of an anime it is compared to everything else. I personally liked it! It tore my soul out and laughed at it and I'd call that an enjoyable experience.

I've been thinking about getting into FMA: Brotherhood, but I'm not sure how it compares to the one I watched. As far as I know, it's like some sort of alternate timeline where a few of the circumstances are the same but generally it's different? Buggered if I know.

I'm not too big an anime fan, anyway. Often I'll sorta quietly stop watching it simply because I forget to/more interesting stuff comes up. Keroro Gunso, Attack on Titan, and Madoka Magica come to mind. I can claim to have finished Jellyfish Princess and the first season of Black Butler, though.
MARY: But if I'm not going to furiously make Freudian connections, who will?
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

^FMA:Brotherhood, if I remember, is a lot more close to the manga than the original FMA. Beginning's similar, but it changes over time as by then most of (if not all of) the manga was completed. FMA was made when only half of the manga was published, thus leading to lots of filler that doesn't follow the original source. I watched FMA: Brotherhood, and I enjoyed it. However, I have heard several other fans complaining that FMA or FMA: Brotherhood didn't look good after watching one or the other. Only way to find out what you like is to watch it.

completed anime:
Magical Meow Meow Taruto (so freaking adorable why does it have to be only 12 episodes? ;m;)

anime I'm currently watching:
Rosario + Vampire (around episode 5-6)
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Xeno
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Xeno »

I've been alternating between Berserk and Love Live! School Idol Project as of late. That was a joke, but I've actually been watching Yozakura Quartet and The Rolling Girls intermittently. I'm on the eighth episode of the original series of Yozakura Quartet, and the fifth episode of The Rolling Girls currently. Also, for the record, I do not binge watch anime, and I typically watch with English subtitles. The only time I have ever watched anime with English voice acting was with Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon.
“Life’s not cruel until you put the game controller down.”

This is a little philosophical gem that I said when I was insanely tired.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

I watch about 1-2 hours of Pokemon every day. Tis satisfactory.

Other than that, what anime I can get is limited to what's on Toonami. I pretty much watch everything on the block except Naruto.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
SonicBoom
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Mottoes are overrated

Post by SonicBoom »

Spoiler:
I believe Brock would like a word with him.
Yeah, I'd say I've been getting my anime doses lately.
My out of site contact is here
Spoiler:
Hydro wrote:ESS BEE, STOP BEING A STUBBORN LITTLE CRACKMONKEY AND LOOK.
Affected by the Shrubby curse 7 times and counting.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^I'm surprised they didn't say 'doughnut' instead.

Watching Pokemon and Gunbuster- or trying to- when I have free time at school.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

YU-GI-OH!

I can't find a transformation Gif/Jif, so have Kaiba in extreme awe/shock instead.

I'm watching the second season right now.
I probably wouldn't have gotten there if it weren't for me watching it while it took TWO DAYS for me to breed my team for the Pokemon Little Cup Battle Competition.
I didn't even get to sleep while I did that. And I still got 7th on the ladder when I finshed. Booyah.

What I did while watching the first season aside, I'm really surprised how well this was done. I mean, they fight with CARDS, it's pretty hard to make that not just cards.

Otherwise, I'm REALLY behind on Pokemon, and PokemonEpisode hasn't updated in months, so there's no way for me to see the episodes I missed.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^What episodes are you behind on specifically? There are quite a few places to stream Pokemon.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

839 to 872. At least that's what Wikipedia said.
Last episode I watched was "Showdown at the Shalour Gym!".

- - -
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

From what I can gather, all of the episodes between ep. 838 and the most recent episode of the English dub are available on youtube and other places like animeflavor and Pokemonfire. Granted the recordings are in varying quality, but you should be able to at least catch up with the dub. All of the Mega Evolution Specials are available online too, so no worries there. If watching all 30 something episodes is inconvenient, I could suggest a narrowed down list of episodes where major developments happen (Gym battles, new catches, etc.) to lighten the load.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Thanks! I should finally be able to get back in the loop now.

- - -
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

Speaking of Pokémon. I'm behind as well. About 400 episodes behind.

I've been trying to get to date with it since 2009 starting with episodes off Youtube, then moving on to anime sites, and finally PokémonEpisode. I remember I watched 100 episodes through Summer 2012 they were all really good. Season 5-8 were really great. Then the voice actors changed and I couldn't bring myself to keep watching. I got up to episode 431 before I stopped.

Last year I went through XY since people were saying it was a really good series, and I did enjoy it a lot. I think I watched about 25 episodes of that series before I stopped. Four people is truly the best number for Pokémon. It worked well in Season 5-8, it'll worked well in the latest season.

I need to get back and catch up to it though. I'm 430~ episodes and about 9 movies behind.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^If you can ignore the voice cast changing, the Diamond and Pearl saga seriously is worth catching up on. Sure, I miss Eric Stuart and Veronica Taylor as much as the next person, but DP had some of the best battles and character-driven episodes in the series. The DP era movies are also considered very good, and unlike the rest of the Pokemon movie franchise, they actually all tie into each other.

Best Wishes is probably the weakest story arc, though it's still worth giving a shot, if only to see the transition into XY's aesthetic (i.e. the two animation revamps) and characterization. Prioritizing XY or DP over Best Wishes is a better move though if the sheer number of episodes is too much to digest.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I haven't been listening to much anime lately on account of discovering that Amazon has a decent selection of Books-on-CD for prices that compare favorably with Hardcover versions. As a result, I've got 70-some gigabytes of episodes sitting in my /home directory. Notably, the second half of the original Speed Racer, the last 3/5ths of the first series of Rockman.exe/Megaman NT Warrior, 100+ Episodes of Ranma 1/2, and the entire run of Voltron(which I downloaded back when I could see if I remember correctly and never got around to watching). And that's not counting that I have panty and Stocking with Garterbelt and the first season of My Little Sister can't be this cute on my to download list. And the only reason my collection of Digimon and Ojamajo Doremi episodes aren't sitting in that folder is I've only got subs of them in my master Video Library(I'd actually be willing to pay money for a mediaplayer application that could play the audio from a video file while reading the subtitle track and producing no terminal output that could run from the Linux command line!).

Anyways, since Pokemon is currently the dominant subject, Anyone know where I can find a filler free list of episodes if I ever decide to marathon it? The Indigo League might be worth watching unabridged, but from Johto onward, I know there are a lot of episodes that serve little point other than give a random species of pokemon its 15 minutes of spotlight.

Also, I really want to marathon Digimon, but the subs are out of reach and Saban's dub is infamously bad. Anyone know if any English speaking markets outside the US got an alternate dub that is less horrible?
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^There is no such thing as a list of filler-free Pokemon episodes. The nature of a series that follows three-to-four Pokemon Trainers who each have three-to-six Pokemon with them means that something important happens to at least one character almost every episode; if we dropped episodes where nothing significant occurs, that would eliminate only a handful out of each season. 'Filler' is a rather ambigous thing in a series like this, which isn't based on a manga.

I could, however, suggest a list of character-development and myth arc-related episodes for each generation that should cut the series down to size a bit. Though watching the show that way can be a little disorientating, since we're dropping episodes where Pokemon evolve or learn new moves. Plus for Diamond and Pearl onward we have Chekhov's Gunmen constantly cropping up, who appear to be unimportant in the episode where they're introduced but become major rivals or supporting characters fifty episodes later.

As it stands marathoning the whole series without interruption would take almost five hundred hours. Which isn't actually as bad as it sounds, taking into account how much time anime fans usually eat up marathoning multiple series in succession. I can still offer a trimmed down listing if you want though.

As for your other question: there's this Singapore dub of Digimon Adventure and Digimon Tamers floating around which may or may not be better than the Saban dub. It's kinda obscure but you can find it in various places on the internet. Personally I never had any issue with the usual English dubs of Digimon, other than how they mashed together the first few movies.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

If I remember correctly there are 100 episodes in the D+P arc between Ash getting his 7th and 8th badge, so you could probably get rid of 30-50 episodes from there if you tried.

Although some filler episodes can be pretty good. Such as the episode where Brock was ill and Ash and Misty had to take care of all the Pokémon. While nothing happened, it was still a good episode. Or where Ash and co and Team Rocket were split and lost in a forest and had to work together to get out.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

I don't like the pokeman animu so I don't have much input, all I know is there is a lot of filler :v

And while It isn't an anime, I did get into the FullMetal Alchemist Manga which has kept me quite entertained. I'm gonna watch the anime oon after reading more but I have really liked it so far.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

retro: Well yes, there is that big gap late in the story, but between Ash fighting Candice and meeting Volkner, Dawn had a contest arc and Team Galactic was defeated for the last time. Trying to cut out 30 episodes around those events probably is possible, but that's certainly pushing it. Also, yeah, there's definitely some good filler in the show too, speaking of actual filler. The recent episode of XY, 'Scary Hospitality' comes to mind, which is worth watching if only to witness Bonnie's epic trolling of the rest of the gang.

Anyway, right now I'm watching Pokemon DP in anachronic order in anticipation of marathoning Best Wishes, which I've wanted to do for a while. I'll also soon wrap up watching Gunbuster and probably move on to its sequel Diebuster before the end of the week. I think I'll probably post a review/impression thing for Gunbuster in this thread Tuesday.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

SO that Gunbuster impression thing.

Where to begin?

Top wo Nerae!/Aim for the Top!/Gunbuster/Bustgunner/whatever you want to call it, is a big deal. And not just because it had one of the most emotionally powerful endings of any show I've ever seen, or its badass action sequences, or its gutsy female protagonist Noriko smashing a giant hole into the center of the galaxy. See, Gunbuster is the granddaddy of the modern giant robot anime; it was Studio Gainax's first big success in that genre, and what paved the way for the style and ethos of their later work. Without Gunbuster, there would be no Evangelion or Gurren Lagaan; in the absence of that tremendous legacy much of the work of Gainax's spiritual successors like Studio Khara (Rebuild of Evangelion, ME!ME!ME!) or Studio TRIGGER (Kill la Kill, Power Plant No.33) would most likely never have happened. Were it not for Takaya Noriko bellowing every one of her mech's attacks, folding her arms, and ripping her shirt open, the world would be a very different place!

The first episode is essentially a parody of high school-setting anime that revolve around sports or martial arts, only here we have teenagers learning to pilot giant robots. There's even an extremely 80s training montage sequence on a beach that just begs to be seen while listening to Eye of the Tiger. Everything from episode two onward is dead serious however, and the nature of this shift in tone should be familiar to anyone who's watched Gunbuster's spiritual offspring. Aesthetically the show looks extremely old school, and this isn't just because its over twenty years old now either- even at the time of its release, Gunbuster was a very retro anime, with a distinctive look that stands out in the genre. Indeed, more than anything Gunbuster's aliens and starships remind me of classic Toho science fiction films like Battle in Outer Space, Gorath, Atragon, and Godzilla vs Monster Zero. These elements shouldn't be surprising, as Gunbuster fairly overruns with shout-outs to other media. There are references to everything from Kamen Rider to Blade Runner; it would be difficult to list all the works Gunbuster pays homage to over its six tightly paced episodes.

The characters are highly evocative of your archetypal anime cast- we have the idiot-ish heroine in over her head, the perfect-seeming big sister figure, the mercurial rival from Soviet Russia named after psychologists, the no-nonsense Coach who only has one facial expression, and the very bearded space captain who mostly sits in a chair. However, each character manages to be unique and memorable all the same, quickly worming their way into the viewer's heart. This is especially true of Noriko, the deeply insecure and frightened protagonist who grows into a hotblooded, roaring badass that drop-kicks the galaxy into submission with guts and determination. Well, guts, determination, and a giant robot (and what an amazing giant robot it is- the Gunbuster is just so darn good looking! It has a CAPE!)

I also love the soundtrack; despite not generally liking music from the era when Gunbuster was made, I really enjoyed most of its songs, especially Fly High!, which I now listen to constantly.

Granted, even with Gunbuster being so awesome that I can't list all the ways that it is awesome, it's not perfect. The biggest weak point in the series is probably its length- it's only a six episode long OVA, yet it sets out to tell a story that should take twenty episodes to tell. There's some pacing problems, and the story really feels like it's over way too soon. But if nothing else the series being so short makes it easy to watch the whole thing quickly.

Then of course there's the Gainaxing. Gunbuster being the literal reason that it's called Gainaxing. Granted, this stuff is tame compared to shows like Kill la Kill (or even Evangelion really), but in its day 'Bustgunner' was kinda infamous for the fanservice.

Everything said, I seriously loved this anime, it's one of the most enjoyable things I've watched in a long time. I went in to Gunbuster having pretty high expectations, and they were exceeded on all fronts. Definitely my favorite giant robot anime now. The ending made me cry. I heartily recommend the series to anyone with even a passing interest in the genre- or even no interest, because Gunbuster is the show that will make you a fan.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

Just finished watching Castle of Cagliostro in an attempt to watch all Ghibli films since I feel I'm missing out by only having watched Spirited Away and 20 minutes of Castle in the Sky.

I really enjoyed it, but I never went in expecting to hate it. I did enoy the comedic elements it had, as well as the animation. It's very good for it's time. Damn near 40 years old and still looks good. The "anime" style is very interesting to see too. It's sort of like if a westerner tried to do an anime. It was still in it's early stages at this point (if we're not going to count manga's from the 30's) so it's really cool to see the differences, especially in the way Ghibli films draw characters and environments and such. Story was unique as well. It felt like a 20's twise on a fairy tale and the characters really worked well in the film too. Also I wondered throughout the whole film who voiced Lupin since I heard his voice before, turned out to be David Hayter. Now that's something.

I was going in order of release and it was a good one to start with. I think I'm going to watch Castle in the Sky today as I believe it comes next but I might be wrong here.

Really hoping I can get through them all, and rewatch Spirited Away.

Interesting side note I want to bring up. Did anyone else find Spirited Away scary? I was talking to a couple of friends about it and they said that there are two kinds of people that react to Spirited Away. One kind will say they loved it, while the other would say they were scared ****less by it, and I never really understood this. First time I watched it I was around 6 or 7 and while I will admit I can see how some parts can be scary, I never found it to be scary. Meanwhile tons of other people did, so did anyone here find Spritied Away to be scary?

I also watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. (The 2005 redub) and damn was it good. Currently listening to the Soundtrack as I type since it was a really good soundtrack. Can't really say much here other that what I said for Castle of Cagliostro. Amazing animation, voices, story damn near everything was great. I'm also seeing an odd pattern of princesses all being orange haired girls. I just hope the other films will be as good as these.

Incidentally. Upon doing some research I notice that Castle of Cagliostro (and neither is Nausicaa, but it's considered) is not a Ghibli film as the studio wasn't created at the time, but for some reason my brother had the films in a folder all under the name "Ghibli films" so I assumed it was just all Ghibli.

Also, I keep forgetting that I have seen more than just Spritied Away. Kiki's delivery service and I vaguely remember Grave of the Fireflies. So I guess I can say I've seen 5 films already. Only 15 more to go if Wikipedia's list is correct.